Friday, September 7, 2012

Friday Follow Up

Happy Friday! How's your week been? Here's my follow up

on WRITING/REVISING: So, uh…about that Black Moment.  

*whistles* *averts to corner of room*

Yeah. Writing this week did not happen as often as Alison would like. Life had to take a front burner and I did not get near the revising done that I wanted to. L Unfortunately, I have weeks like that. It’s frustrating. It’s discouraging. BUT, I just reset my goals and try again for next week.

How about you? Did YOU meet your writing goals for the week?

on READING: After sending off forty-ish pages to a CP last Sunday, I rewarded myself with the end of Bitterblue. Could I have spent that time revising? Yes. But I also feel rewards are important. And so while I’m a little frustrated and disappointed with myself  for not meeting my writing goals for this week, I can’t be a self-slave driver all the time. And man, was that reward worth it! I loved, loved, loved BITTERBLUE!

Currently I’m reading this




And it’s AWESOME. Also, I won an ARC of it in a Rebecca Behren’s giveaway. Have you stopped by Rebecca’s blog? She’s a YA/MG writer repped by Suzie Townsend and her blog is chock-full of awesome writer tips and incredibly inspiring posts. Personally, I love stopping by her blog for posts such as “Hemingway slept here”(15 Writers’ bedrooms), and she points me to where I can purchase stuff like


has the entire text of The Great Gatsby on the poster


So. COOL. Plus, Rebecca is just an amazing person, one I’m so glad to have gotten to know through blogging!

Find any cool sites lately? What have YOU been reading?


on FAMILY: Last Saturday, the family had a most fun and successful beach trip, so fun and successful that we prepped for a return trip Sunday. And we were almost in the car until the thirteen year old and eight year old couldn’t postpone their game of tag two seconds longer. One missed tag and a couch stub later, my daughter broke her toe. And can’t play soccer or dance for two weeks. L

BUT, silver lining, she could’ve broken her foot. Or worse. And been out of commission a heck of a lot longer. And the husband and I were able to run a ton of necessary errands. And there’ll be other beach days.

This weekend my son has three soccer games, my daughter has two, and the husband has one. Apparently, I’ll be watching a lot of fütbol (and LOVING it). And Sunday, I’ll be sporting my Celek jersey and will be glued to some serious American FOOTBALL.


What are YOUR plans this weekend?

on OTHER STUFF: My Explorer is still sick and in recovery, but I should have it back today. And not having a car wasn’t terrible. I could walk to my tutoring sessions (and get my exercise!), I had wonderful company on the ride to and from school. And my mother lent me her car on occasion when I needed one. But I will be VERY HAPPY to have my own wheels back.

And my kiddos and husband spoiled me with an Amazon gift card for my birthday. Mentally, I’ve already spent it. On these…











Happy Friday! And have a WONDERFUL weekend!

16 comments:

  1. I have weeks like you where little writing gets done. Having kids in sports (my daughter's in swim) is very time consuming. I just try to squeeze in the writing and some days are better than others. I am trying to write 10 minutes a day regularly now. I can read a few less blogs and accomplish that.

    And don't feel at all bad about the reading time. It's so good to read and you learn a lot from it. I need to read Bitterblue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I find any bit of writing time helps. And I feel more productive when I take a few minutes here or there rather than grimacing about my lack of time. :)

      Thank you for saying that about the reading time. As a writer, I do get so much out of it. And I just love to read. WIN WIN. :)

      Delete
  2. Alison, you just made my day! Seriously--I was having a grumpy Friday morning and I read this post and you brought the hugest smile to my face. Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm so glad to have gotten to know you through blogging!
    Have fun with the soccer games this weekend, and I hope your daughter's toe heals quickly! I broke a toe vacuuming last spring, so I can sympathize. (But, I have a good excuse to write instead of vacuum now, hooray!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could brighten your day!

      Hey, that broken toe sounds like a good strategy to get out of housework! But I'm not good with pain so...maybe not. :) Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Yay for BITTERBLUE! And crazy lives. I'm moving to Colorado next week, so packing and wrapping up my life here has been the theme of the week.

    Thanks for the enticing book selection. I can't wait to settle into my new home and get back to my glorious writing and reading routine. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Sounds like you have a busy time ahead. It's a good thing you finished a round of revisions! Good luck with the move. And I hope you can get settled in quickly. :)

      Delete
  4. Yay! Love your birthday book shopping list... Can't wait to hear what you think of TILT. I think it sounds fantastic! And yeah... writing goals... I didn't meet mine. This revision is sucking my brain dry, and it's taking far longer than I'd anticipated. Plugging along, though.

    Hope you have a fantastic weekend, lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a better week with your revisions! And yes - TILT! I usually get Ellen's new one as soon as it hits the shelves. Can't wait!

      Delete
  5. sometimes life likes to slam our faces with a good old cream pie. Glad you're not letting it stop you from achieving your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, gosh. Can't do that! And sometimes that pie isn't all that bad. Just gotta look for the silver lining. Or the chocolate lining. :)

      Delete
  6. I totally support you on taking a little break to finish your awesome read. It's research, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't meet my writing goals. However, I did write a little on a new WIP and edited some of my rough draft on another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good to me! Congratulations!

      Delete
  8. I need to put Skinny on my TBR :D I didn´t meet my writing goals either but I´m happy with where my revision is going, even though it´s taking me a bit longer...Glad you had a great time at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - my rewrite took me WAY longer than I intended and I have a feeling each revision will too. But it's okay. I just want it to be the best I can do before I send it out there. :)

      Good luck with the revisions!

      Delete

Yay! I LOVE comments!