Friday, September 21, 2012

Friday Follow Up

Happy Friday! I hope you've had a wonderful week! Here's my follow up

on WRITING/REVISING: I’m plugging away at that Black Moment. Still two parts in major need of a tune-up before I send it off to CPs, but I’m getting there. Truth be told, I’m working on the part after the Black Moment…the Dark Night of the Soul, when my mc feels lost and hopeless and oh, it hurts my heart. Anyway, I’m kind of feeling a little of that lost and hopelessness too. Not with my story…just with the time I have to work on my story and still do the fifty thousand other things I LOVE TO DO. Rebecca Behrens and Barbara Watson posted some brilliant, beautiful words about this earlier this week: finding balance and hope amidst life’s craziness. You should totally check out what they have to say.

Anyhoo, I’m getting there. Most importantly, I’m ENJOYING the journey. And I enjoy sharing it with YOU.

PS—gihugic thank yous for all the kind words on my story premise! (Wednesday’s RTW) Very encouraging and very sweet and I am super blessed for all my fabulous blogging friends!

Where are YOU with your writing?

on READING: I don’t know why it took Alison SO LONG to finally sit down and read ON WRITING by Stephen King. I know many of you have read it, but if you haven’t, stick a bookmark in your current read and find this book NOW.  J  Seriously, you won’t regret it. BEST CRAFT BOOK EVER. I’ll be sharing Stephen King wisdom Monday. Stay tuned.

Also, I will note that I want to add every Stephen King book to my TBR now.

What have YOU been reading?

on TRENDS: I’m blogging about smoking over at YA Confidential today. You can check it out here.

on FAMILY: My daughter continually asks me this



which pretty sums up the Miller family this week. CRAY. CRAY. Soccer games. Soccer practice. Dance. School. Work. More work. Oh, and my husband’s been dressing all cray cray for spirit week. Heat miser wigs to ref Powder Puff Games. Rolled jeans on Twin Day. Mullets and pleather pants on Decades Day.

He goes ALL OUT.

So, how have YOU been acting all CRAY CRAY?

on BOOK CLUBS: Do you belong to a book club? Mine is AWESOME. I love my book club ladies (non-book conversations are the best—brazilians, Fifty Shades…I think my group needs an R rating), and they get me to read tons of awesome books outside my preferred genre (The Help, Room, Bossypants). Anyway, I’m hosting next week and it’s my turn to put up the books for the next month! My choices always involve some YA love (already got them reading Hourglass and Hunger Games—I have to broaden their horizons too!) and I thought I’d ask you to help me narrow down my choices. Here’s my way too long list (that I need to shorten to THREE):

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Hate List by Jennifer Brown

Looking for Alaska by John Green

And since I’m really supposed to choose books I haven’t read before,

Drowning Instinct by Ilsa J. Bick

I try to choose books that the library has several copies of so that factors in a bit, and maybe you have some I should add to my list. Help. Please. Which books would you offer up if YOU were hosting book club?

on OTHER STUFF: Last Friday, my school’s football game was postponed due to inclement weather. My boys played Monday night—way too hard for this busy chick to see, and UGHHHHHHH I am SO SAD I missed that game! The score was 17-20 (we were losing) and with 22 seconds left in the game, one of my kids, on a quarterback sneak, pushed in three yards for the win! He actually scored the last two touchdowns of the game, and I hate that I missed it! a) because I teach so many football players and I want to be out there to support them and b) umm…last second touchdowns, miracle finishes? I WRITE ABOUT THIS STUFF!!! Missed a perfect research opportunity. *facepalm*

But I’m certain there’ll be other opportunities to watch great football.

And speaking of football, did anyone else see this?



6’4” Brent Celek hurdling Ed Reed in the Eagles ugly win over the Ravens last Sunday. Celek’s been my favorite Eagle for a while now. This just makes me heart him SO MUCH MORE.

Happy Friday! And have a WONDERFUL weekend!

20 comments:

  1. I just finished Drowning Instinct. Sooooo goood. Ilsa Bick is amazing. I'm reading everything she's written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard SO many good things. Very excited to read!

      Delete
  2. I loved Divergent and 13 Reasons Why. I'm just finishing The Raven Boys. It's so good.

    Saw Barbara's post too. It was really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GAHHHH! MUST READ RAVEN BOYS!!! And yes - those are two I'm leaning toward. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Love your list! Have you considered Ruta Septys' YA historical, BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY? Or does your group tend to gravitate towards things more contemporary?

    I'm revising again after a week of insanity (moved from WA to CO.) CRAY CRAY for sure.

    I've ordered some friend's debut books--NERVE and PICKLE--and am heading up to the Steamboat Springs library this afternoon. I've been without YA for a couple of weeks and am beginning to twitch!

    Have a fab weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually put that one up around a year ago and I was sad it wasn't chosen. Then again, I still haven't read it. Silly me.

      And moving can be all cray cray. :) Glad you're settling in!

      Delete
  4. Funny...I just finished reading Stephen King's ON WRITING for the first time yesterday! As I read, I kept asking myself why it took so long to pick it up. I think I'm going to do a post about the book too, since I was so inspired. Look forward to seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I keep kicking myself. I wanted to buy it almost three years ago when I was at a conference in New York. WHY I didn't...no idea. But better late than never!

      Delete
  5. I'm looking forward to your ON WRITING post! I love that book. I'm in the throes of first-draft ennui and I think I need to reread parts of it for moral support.

    Enjoying the journey really is the most important part, right? Thanks for reminding me today :)

    And I just joined a book club! So excited to read new selections and discuss them. For next month's meeting, we're comparing and contrasting a YA and an adult book.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, haha - well, it will probably be a bunch of quotes, but still - so inspiring! And yay for book clubs! I hope you have a wonderful experience!

      Delete
  6. A writer's life is crazy. We have a life like everyone else.

    Hugss and chocolate,
    Shelly

    http://secondhandshoesnovel.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-be-otching-blurb.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is!

      Thanks for the hugs! I'm eating some special dark right now.

      Delete
  7. I've never read HATE LIST, but I've been meaning to, and I think it would be a good book club read.

    I have to agree with you on ON WRITING. What a fantastic read! It's the only full book on the craft that I've read, but I found extremely inspirational and helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hate List tore me apart. SO GOOD, but I've not cried so hard over a book in a long time. Very intense - especially for a school teacher.

      I try to read one craft book a year and my favorite is Save the Cat. SO GOOD

      Delete
  8. Yay for ON WRITING!

    Your book club sounds awesome! I recommend LOOKING FOR ALASKA or BEFORE I FALL. The only book club I belong to is the YA Book Club Tracey founded. While I absolutely love it, I would really like to find a more traditional book club that meets for drinks and discussion. Maybe someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drinks and discussion are wonderful, and I hope you find one with ladies like mine. :)

      Also, I need to get back into the swing of things with YA Book Club. I haven't participated since last October. Yikes!

      Delete
  9. Celek's got hops.

    And I hear you about the hopelessness. I've had so little time to write lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Celek does have hops!

      I hope you find time to write soon!

      Delete
  10. Now that's one busy life! Whew.

    Thanks for the link. It's always a humbling thing to see that your words affected someone else (while at the same time--it's why we write, right?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words hit home at a perfect time and you expressed your thoughts so beautifully! Thank YOU for words of wisdom. :)

      Delete

Yay! I LOVE comments!