Wednesday, September 19, 2012

RTW: Tale as Old as Time

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.



This week's topic


In honor of this month's Bookmobile book, Marissa Meyer's CINDER, name a fable or story you'd like to see a retelling of. If you're feeling creative, come up with a premise of your own!



Well, this is easy.

If you’ve seen my query or have been keeping up with bits and pieces of my blog, you know my story is a modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast. It’s not exactly guy does bad thing, witch turns him into beast, guy has to find true love to break the curse,…okay, never mind. It’s totally like that, but it’s got a little twist to it too. Not an inverted fairy tale since the guy is still the one cursed, but his curse is a power most guys would...oh heck, I’m just going to share the premise.

Cue excerpt from Alison’s query (which she is mucho nervous about sharing *hides in corner*)


JD Marshall has a power most guys would trade their left nut for. With one hypnotizing look, he can get a girl to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. And for three years he’s racked up more scores than Brett Favre. But his power’s not a blessing. It’s just a curse.

And it is a curse. One he’s got three months to break or lose any chance of ever having a real relationship. The only way to break the curse—learn to love and be loved. Like that’s going to happen. JD needs to focus on quarterbacking his team to the state finals. He needs to pass freaking math. And he needs to quit thinking about Susan Milton. She’s taken. She’s forbidden. Worse—she seems to be the only one immune to his power.


Okay, so that’s only half my story blurb, and it still needs work, but hopefully you’re getting that Beauty and the Beast vibe. And maybe one day, you’ll even be able to read it! (ya know – if revisions would quit kicking my butt!)

So, yeah. I’m a Beauty and the Beast fan. I also LOVE Aladdin (which managed to work its way into my story too!) so I’d be totally cool with seeing that one redone in a totally unique manner. But for now I’ll keep plugging away at some true love breaks the spell stories.


How about YOU? What fairy tale or story would you like to see retold?! Got one of YOUR own? Tell me about it in the comments!

35 comments:

  1. Your query is great Alison. It sounds like a unique retelling. I'd love to see a retelling of Sleeping Beauty. I've been tossing it around in my head. I love fairy tale retellings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sleeping Beauty would be AWESOME!

      Delete
  2. Yay!!! Props for sharing your query, which you know I love! :)

    I would love to see a YA retelling of...hm...I'll e-mail it to you because now I'm paranoid about putting my idea on the internet! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, well, THAT has me intrigued! Email it to me, please!

      Delete
  3. Loved this query! It sounds so great. I also love Beauty and the Beast big time. I know all the lines of the Disney version by heart!
    Did you see CW is doing a remake of Beauty and the Beast tv series? I can't wait to see it! I hope it is as good as I wish it to be!
    I'm a sucker for fairy tales. I want to see them all retold =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch much TV, so I didn't hear about the CW remake, but I may have to tune in for that!

      Delete
  4. "Give his left nut for" = one of my all-time favorite lines. I'm a huge Beauty & the Beast fan, so this sounds fabulous!

    I'd love to see a retelling of Rapunzel, actually. Hmm . . . maybe I'll file that away as a future WIP idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca! And I haven't seen a lot (I don't think any!) retellings of Rapunzel. That would be great!

      Delete
  5. I remember your query, Alison--in fact, the first line recalled your story to my mind, which is a really really good thing (to die for, truth be told)! Great work! I hope you get this story published soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear god I'm in love with this. Why didn't you mention in your comment on my blog that you are WRITING a Beauty and the Beast retelling? Or querying, I should say. Good luck! I can't wait to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment just made my day! Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Sounds fascinating! I await its publication... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Beauty and the Beast SO much. Always have, always will. Your story sounds fantastic and you're query has a lot of great voice! Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - BatB is one of my favorites! And thanks for the query love!

      Delete
  9. This is a fun premise. And I love that your love interest is named Susan and not some weird YA girl name like Spinner or Wheelbarrow or Whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spinner! Ha! Yes, my characters all have pretty normal names. Well, with the exception of my boy Crisco. Gotta have one crazy name in there, I guess. :)

      Delete
  10. Is it YA? I thought not but then saw state finals and math. The names threw me for a second too (Wheelbarrow--haha!). Interesting spin on the curse. It sounds like a cool idea to work with, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is YA. And I have more in the later parts of the query that state that more explicitly.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  11. Cool premise! That sounds like such a fun story/retelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! It's a fun story to read, write, and revise. :)

      Delete
  12. Beauty and the Beast was always one of my faves. And I remember reading this on WriteOnCon forums and I thought it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. wow, wow!!! I love Beauty and the Beast, it´s one of my favorites :D And your retelling sounds great...
    Really, I read your post this morning in the train, and was still thinking about it on my way back from work more than 10 hours later!
    You also have a lot of voice in your query!!! :D And this is a comment with a lot of exclamation points :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Elodie! Your comments just make me smile! Thank you so much for your kind words!

      Delete
  14. This is such a fun premise! I love it that the only girl he is interested also appears to be the only one his "powers" don't work on. Haha! Finally, some poetic justice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know...gotta have conflict. :)

      And thanks! It's been a fun story to read, write, and revise.

      Delete
  15. I really love your query, Alison! Seriously, your book sounds like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! Hopefully one day you'll get to read it!

      Delete
  16. This sounds fantastic! Are you looking for a beta? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I EVER finish revising, I may have to take you up on that beta thing, Laurie. Thanks!

      Delete
  17. Your query rocks (as does the story it represents!). Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite fairy tales too, which might explain in part why I love your story so much. And Aladdin! I love the way you wove it in. Great post, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katy! One of my other projects incorporated Little Mermaid (the mc had a little half-sister who sang LM songs all the time). Just LOVE me some Disney fairytales. :)

      Delete
  18. I love B&B retellings and love the twist you put on the story! I remember the query first line, too, it definitely stands out :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!