Friday, October 12, 2012

Friday Follow Up

Wow. It's been a while. I hope you've had a fabulous few weeks! Here's my follow up

on WRITING/REVISING: Still revising. Still working on the back end of the manuscript. Between work and tutoring and soccer games and practices and everything else, I sneak in moments when I can. It’s frustrating not to write for hours on end like I could in the summer, but as I always tell my children, “It is what it is." I’ll finish this round of revisions. One day.

Currently I’m readying pages for CPs, and then I’m onto the finale. Then another round of revisions to flesh out some big issues. Then another round. And then maybe I’ll feel like it’s not too horrible to send to beta readers. Maybe. J

Oh, and my fabulous friend Katy tagged me in this Next Big Thing post last week. It’s actually really cool and I LOVE reading about what all my blogging friends are writing, bu-ut the super vulnerable chicken in me is experiencing a little anxiety about participating. But it looks fun. And cool. And I may just have to get over my fears of sharing and post a little more about my WIP on Monday. Stay tuned.

When do YOU squeeze in writing time?

on READING: So, the major CON to reading the first book in a series you love,love, love? You have to WAIT A WHOLE YEAR for the sequel! Grrr. But um…this book?



Hmm...how to describe? Supernatural. Mystery. Adventure. Troubled boys with even more troubled pasts. Psychic predictions and premonitions. Ravens. Eerie, chilling yet beautiful prose that made me feel prickly and goose-bumpy and like I was actually inside Monmouth Manufacturing or Blue’s house or the TREE. Forbidden love and love triangles not quite like anything I’ve read before. Shocking twists. Rather often too. And Gansey. I have to wait a-whole-nother year for more GANSEY.

But it’s good. So, SO good. Like one of the best books I read this year good.


I also just finished




I read CATCHING JORDAN (football story with a kickass female quarterback) earlier this year and enjoyed it, but, even though I am not a huge baseball fan, I actually liked this one better. It dove pretty deep into some very real issues and I could very much relate to Parker’s struggle with her church and with God and with trying to do the right thing. Also, after reading, my vegetarian self suddenly has a wicked affinity for corndogs. Read it. You’ll definitely see why. J

on IRLs: Two weeks ago I got together with my amazing CP and friend Alexandra Shostak for the first time EVER. We text and email and chat all the time, but I got to meet her and hang out with her and write and watch Avengers and well, I just had an awesome time!

Have YOU met any of your CPs (ya know—In Real Life)?

on KINDNESS:



The Kindness Project blog (brainchild of the awesome and super sweet Carolina Valdez Miller) is up and running and I am SO honored to be a contributor! Check it out here and spread some kindness with us!

on AWESOME NEWS!!! My fabulous blogging and writing friend Rebecca Behrens book WHEN AUDREY MET ALICE will be published by Sourcebooks in 2014!!! I am so excited for her and I can’t wait to get my hands on this book! You can read all about her success story here.

on FAMILY: The Miller house has had its share of visitors lately. First Alexandra (yay!) and then my mother-in-law stayed with us last weekend which was super nice because we haven’t seen her in two years! (I know—WAY too long) The kids got to hang out with Grandma Tish and she got to see McKenzie play soccer and watch Dave coach and experience Aidan charades. It was a wonderful weekend. J

on OTHER STUFF: This week was Spirit Week at my high school. It’s fun. It’s crazy. It’s crazy to try to get anything accomplished. But I love it. I love spirit week and I love dressing up with my students. And so, as I always do, Tuesday I wore my Winnie the Pooh costume (Disney Day) to school. For the last time. Ever. A little weird and a whole lot bittersweet, but after twenty years, I’m ready to hang up the Pooh costume and try my hand at something new. Like writing. And full-time motherhood.

Just the thought of what I’ll hopefully be doing this time next year makes my heart sing.

What’s made YOU smile this week?

Happy Friday! And have a WONDERFUL weekend!

26 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about squeezing in the writing. I'm like that too. With swim practices 3-4 days a week at 6:00 am, it's helped me write a bit more. Not that I'm getting up that early when those practices end in a week.

    I LOVED The Raven Boys. It's one of my favorites by Maggie.

    And congrats on your big decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Maggie really delivered with Scorpio Races, but WOW. This by far exceeds it. :)

      And good luck with squeezing the writing in. I get a good hour in with my son's soccer practices. It's nice.

      Delete
  2. I've changed my writing schedule now. 5 AM to 7 AM. Then, I'm off to other writerly chores, or the JOB, or the housework. And if I can squeeze any other time in there, I do. I carry a notebook and I also type on my Iphone.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart! I get up around 4:30 and get a little in before the day starts. It's tough to revise for only twenty minutes or so because I always feel that just as I'm getting into it, I have to close out, but you do what you gotta do, right?!

      Delete
  3. Raven Boys--so good! And that last line!!!

    And next year sounds pretty exciting. I'm about a month into a school year of not working outside the home: unpacking from our move, keeping house, learning to cook, and working on projects that interest me (blogging, beta-reading, writing, etc.) I miss my students and think about them ALL THE TIME, but so far I am really loving that I get to decide how to use my time. I hope you wind up feeling the same way!

    P.S. If you need beta readers anytime after November (I'm doing NaNo to try and get myself into a writing routine) feel free to give me a shout! I've really enjoyed doing it for Jaime and Elodie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for offering to read! And I may just take you up on that - you know - if I ever finish my revisions! :)

      And yes - Raven Boys! Can't stop thinking about it.

      Delete
  4. Ah, thank you, you reminded me I still need to read Stealing Parker. I *heart* baseball in a slightly crazed fan sort of way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you will definitely love this book! I heart football in an obsessive fan kind of way so I hear ya!

      Delete
  5. What made me smile? An interesting request. But it also sent me into a tailspin. Meeting CP partners in person is amazing. I wish I could teletransport all of mine into one place. But since I can't do that, I'm thinking about planning a retreat this summer in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Stealing Parker has been on my radar. Must add to the TBR list. ^_^
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh - so curious about this "interesting request." And yes, I wish I could apparate and see all of mine whenever I wanted! That would be awesome!

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Alison! You are too sweet :)
    I am so looking forward to reading about your WIP on Monday.
    And congrats on your big decision! That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca! It's been a decision four-years in the making so hopefully things will work out. :)

      Delete
  7. "Just the thought of what I’ll hopefully be doing this time next year makes my heart sing."

    Awww, how exciting!

    Raven Boys is in my TBListenedTo pile...can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very exciting! I'm excited to just be able to take my kids to school every day!

      Delete
  8. Whoa. That's a load of stuff going on.

    I, too, am working through revisions.

    Like you, I'm honored to be part of The Kindness Project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with those revisions! And I'm super excited about TKP!

      Delete
  9. I used to squeeze in writing during lunch, but now that I'm on maternity leave...I haven't written a thing. In another week I'll get back into the writing mode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with getting back to it! You can write while your baby naps! (really, you should nap too, but if you're like me - I used every spare moment to clean and catch up on laundry)

      Delete
  10. I adored the Raven Boys and I desperately want to read the next book in the series NOW.

    I squeeze in writing time whenever I can and sometimes at my day job when I'm supposed to be doing day job things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is so much awesome in this post, Alison. And here's the push you might need to do The Next Big Thing: everything you've shared about your WIP is really good! I remember you even shared a little snippet (I'm pretty sure anyway) from it that made me want to read more. I'm sure it's fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaime! Your comment made my heart sing!

      Delete
  12. Love this post so much, Alison :) I just joined the Kindness Project blog (love this idea!), and have Raven Boys on my reading list. I love Maggie Stiefvater's writing. So, so excited for you about your big decision! That is amazing and exciting and I am happy for you <3 I also really hope you decide to do the Next Big Thing!! Super awesome Katy tagged me too, and I also get shy about sharing things but I'm trying to get up the courage too. I was so wowed by the query you shared that I really hope you do it. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm still trying to figure out where to squeeze in writing time. I'm not a morning person...I already get up earlier than I can really handle, and my brain does NOT function in the morning. And then I get my butt kicked every day at work, so I am so exhausted when I get home. It's tough to find a balance.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!