Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Superlative Blogfest: Elements of Fiction!



Having fun? ME TOO! Today's topic: Elements of Fiction

Most Envy-Inducing Plot (Or, the plot you wish you’d thought of yourself.) THIS IS NOT A TEST—Red Dawn meets Breakfast Club meets the zombie apocalypse. LOVE the premise and the fast and furious plot.

Most Formidable World (Or, the setting you definitely would NOT want to visit.)—pretty much any dystopian society, but definitely not futuristic Chicago (INSURGENT, Veronica Roth)

Wanderlust-Inducing (Or, the setting you’d happily travel to.): BITTERBLUE (Kristin Cashore)

Loveliest Prose: DROWNING INSTINCT (Ilsa J. Bick) - I want to read every Ilsa J. Bick book now, THE RAVEN BOYS (Maggie Stiefvater) - eerie yet so beautiful, and PANDEMONIUM (Lauren Oliver) - I will read ANYTHING by Lauren Oliver. I bet even her grocery list has gorgeous, emotion-filled prose. J

Best First Line:

Hangovers are a bitch. A MIDSUMMER’S NIGHTMARE (Kody Keplinger)

and

The night before Amelia Anne Richardson bled her life away on a parched dirt road outside of town, I bled out my dignity in the back of a pickup truck under a star-pricked sky. AMELIA ANNE IS DEAD AND GONE (Kat Rosenfield)

Most Dynamic Main Character: They’re not all main characters, but can I just say ALL the Raven Boys? No. Okay, well then I’ll pick Gansey.

Honorable Mention: Kaleb (TIMEPIECE, Myra McEntire)

Most Jaw-Dropping Ending: PANDEMONIUM (Lauren Oliver)—read this back in February and my mind is still reeling from it. And left me hella desperate for REQUIEM

Best Performance in a Supporting Role: Again, can I just say ALL the Raven boys? They are so distinct and so absopositively phenomenal.

Best Use of Theme: STEALING PARKER (Miranda Keneally)—I read a few 2012 issue books, but this one was very real and dealt with some very tough topics without being too didactic.

So, what were your favorites in these categories? Sign up on the linky and tell us all about it!



14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had the same love affair with The Raven Boys as I did. Also, totally agree with you on Pandemonium. I did not see it coming at all. Also also, you and Katy picked one of the same first lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That description of THIS IS NOT A TEST is making me REALLY excited to read it. Also, YES to PANDEMONIUM's ending--that should totally join THE RAVEN BOYS and INSURGENT on my list of books whose endings made me a little crazy (in the best way!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha :D Loved rereading the first line of A MIDSUMMER’S NIGHTMARE :D It made me smile, I really enjoyed that book! (Kody Keplinger is pretty much a "must-buy" for me.
    And The Raven Boys are definitely dynamic :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was trying to figure out how best to describe This is Not a Test, and yours is the best I've read, so maybe I'll start borrowing that :)

    Obviously, I need to read A Midsummer's Nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so hard not to pick THE RAVEN BOYS for nearly every topic again today. Love those guys! For Most Formidable World I had to go with THIS IS NOT A TEST. I think zombies kind of trumps a number of different crappy worlds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I think I need to read Raven Boys! And something by Lauren Olivier! These keep popping up. I loved your comment about her grocery list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with you on INSURGENT having a setting that I wouldn't want to handle.
    And I think the first line of AMELIA ANNE is excellent, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had such a hard time picking which book had the loveliest prose. I should have just gone your route and picked multiple!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aah! I'd forgotten all about the craziness at the end of PANDEMONIUM! That last scene literally made my jaw drop. Great choices today, lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the first line of Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone! Really looking forward to reading that :) Yay for The raven Boys love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I picked ALL THE RAVEN BOYS, too. Can't pick just one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVED the first line to A Midsummer's Nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely agree about Lauren Oliver, even after only reading BEFORE I FALL (LOVED it). Also, That line from AMELIA ANNE is an amazing hook. Of all the first lines, that's probably the best I've read today!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!