Wednesday, May 8, 2013

What's Up Wednesday


 
What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. :)

What I'm Reading: This past weekend, I tore through two pretty amazing stories.
 
Will

Maybe I'm too late. Maybe Zoe's dad stole all her fifteen years and taught her to be scared. I'll undo it. Help her learn to be strong again, and brave. Not that I'm any kind of example, but we can learn together.
When the whole world is after you, sometimes it seems like you can't run fast enough.

Zoe

Maybe it'll take Will years to come to terms with being abandoned. Maybe it'll take forever. I'll stay with him no matter how long it takes to prove that people don't always leave, don't always give up on you.

 
I just knew this story would be good from the first page, and I was as caught up in Will and Zoe's unpredictable adventure as they were. Zoe had me at hello. I completely bought her, felt for her, and in some ways could very much relate to her. Will was a harder sell—his background, rough hard edges, and anger flare ups –well, it took a bit for him to grow on me. But it was completely obvious that he loved Zoe and that he was trying so hard to make good choices. And pretty soon in, I rooted for both of them. All the time. And you will too.
 If you're looking for fast-paced contemporary romance that will wrench your heart and challenge your thinking, READ THIS STORY. NOW.

I also pretty much devoured this book in one sitting

When Travis returns home from a stint in Afghanistan, his parents are splitting up, his brother’s stolen his girlfriend and his car, and he’s haunted by nightmares of his best friend’s death. It’s not until Travis runs into Harper, a girl he’s had a rocky relationship with since middle school, that life actually starts looking up. And as he and Harper see more of each other, he begins to pick his way through the minefield of family problems and post-traumatic stress to the possibility of a life that might resemble normal again. Travis’s dry sense of humor, and incredible sense of honor, make him an irresistible and eminently lovable hero.

My dear friend Katy Upperman recommended this book to me because a) it's pretty freaking awesome and b) Travis sounds a lot like the main character of my story. She was right on both counts. I loved everything about Travis—his voice, his story, even his bad choices. LOVE him. :)
 
If you're looking for a AMAZING contemporary read - this is it.
 
 What I'm Writing: Um...this blog post. ;)
 
Just kidding. Since I did a final run on my MS, I've been tweaking my synopsis and cleaning up the seventy pages I wrote on my SNI back in November. Guys—this project. I. AM. DYING. Like in a good way dying. Every time I reread passages, I laugh out loud and fall in love with my new characters all over again. My plan is to clean up the current pages in May and write the rest of it this summer. We'll see if Alison can actually stick to that plan, but I. AM. EXCITED.
 
  What Inspires Me Right Now: 
 

I haven't been picked for The Writer's Voice Contest, but the blogosphere has been throwing some major love my way. It's incredibly wonderful and all kinds of inspiring. Thank you writing community!!!
What Else I've Been Up To: I'm still recovering from sleep deprivation from chaperoning a senior trip to Florida two weeks ago. But ya know—I did go to Universal and Disney. And the seniors were a pretty awesome group. And…AND I had a butterbeer with these two lovelies

Alexandra, Karen, and me!
And I've been watching A LOT of soccer lately. The husband recently earned his 300th win with his girls. They beat cross-town rivals last week, won their first playoff game last night. And my daughter's team brought home the gold in their soccer tournament this past weekend in Charleston!
Things are crazy—but good crazy. And a welcome distraction from the Writer's Voice. From the querying I'll be doing. Soon. My nails are already brittle and edgy and all but non-existent. Jeez.
So…what are YOU up to?

28 comments:

  1. The story you wrote is one that will stay with me for a long time. I had to share that with Twitter :D I know more people will fall in love with your characters!

    And I cannot wait to beta read your next one <3 So thankful you trusted me with your stories!

    I really enjoyed NOBODY BUT US and I may have to pick up SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL, especially if Katy says Travis sounds like JD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elodie! That is one of the biggest compliments I could EVER receive. Thank you SO MUCH for all your kind words! And yes! You must read SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL. SO, so good!

      Delete
  2. I made the same joke with "What I'm Writing"!! Great minds think alike, clearly... ;) It's great that you're loving your work. That makes it so much easier to get on and write it... as long as you don't get too distracted re-reading because you love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely get distracted by that, BUT I have been editing a good bit of the front end. Here's to staying on that track!

      Delete
  3. I got a huge smile reading that you are in the giddy, excited phase of a new SNI. I hope you have a delightful time writing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the SNI happy place! Thanks, Rebecca!

      Delete
  4. I still have yet to read either of those contemps despite the fact that I've seen them around a lot and I've heard good things about them. Will have to check them out. I've also been hearing good things about your WIP--best of luck with it! I'm sort of envious of your giddy SNI feeling. I can't wait to get out of revision mode and work on something new and fresh! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MUST READS, Jaime! I've been in revision mode for TOO long so it does feel good to have a shiny new one to get really excited about. And thanks!

      Delete
  5. Wow you've been busy writing and reading and other things. I'm breathless just reading about this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - is kind of exhausting, huh?! But a very good kind of tired. :)

      Delete
  6. Haha... I totally agree with Lindsey's tweet. That "left nut" bit in your query is totally my favorite part. Not sure what that says about me... ;-)

    So glad that you loved NOBODY BUT US and SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL. Both of those books are some of the best contemporary YA I've read in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It says you're normal. ;) And keep the recommendations coming! We are definitely on the same page with books!

      Delete
  7. Butterbeer is the BEST!! You've been quite the busy bee! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have...which is why I haven't been around much. But I'm semi-kind of back. :) And butterbeer FTW!

      Delete
  8. I've heard so many great things about both of the books you read - I so need to go out and get them, especially since I can't get enough YA contemp right now. It's that time of year, I guess!

    And your trip sounds wonderful - right down to the butterbeer, totally jealous! Congrats to your hubby and his team for their 300th win - that's awesome!

    Hope you've been well, Alison - it's been a LONG time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are AWESOME! Great contemp reads!

      I've been busy, but well. Spent the past year in revision mode and getting ready to query. The busyness will be a welcome distraction. :) How are YOU?!

      Delete
  9. You sound busy and exhilerated, your energy oozes from this blog. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My kids say the same thing. They think I load up on pounds of coffee before I go to school. :)

      Delete
  10. I really enjoyed NOBODY BUT US too. It made me get all teary at the end. I haven't gotten to SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL yet, but it's on my TBR list, also because of Katy's recommendation. Good luck with your SNI project! It's awesome that you're so excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I hope you get to read SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL soon. I loved it so much!

      Delete
  11. SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL sounds really amazing! I actually hadn't heard much about it, but might pick it up based on your recommendation. And your trip sounds amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you do! That book is one of my favorites so far this year. :)

      Delete
  12. Those are two books I'm dying to read, they sound great.

    Good luck with your writing, you sound like you adore your story.

    The trip sounds brilliant, you got to have butterbeer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you get to read those books! They're both so wonderful!

      Delete
  13. Ooh - those books look so good! What great recommendations! Thanks for sharing, Alison. And you should get massive brownie points for chaperoning a senior trip!! Butterbeer or not, I remember senior trip shenanigans, and to be in charge of that chaos?! Yikes. :) I hope it was fun!

    When do you get the final word about The Writer's Voice Contest? I'm still rooting for you - your query and the first 250 words ROCK. I can't imagine them not picking you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! The kids were great, and we all had a really good time!

      And thank you for the story love. I will send you an email about everything soon. :)

      Delete
  14. I've been meaning to read NOBODY BUT US for a long time and I finally got it from the library. Your reaction makes me want to start reading right away! I'm so jealous about the Butterbeer and Disney too.

    Congrats on all that awesome encouragement and for being excited about writing. Always an awesome feeling! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an awesome feeling. Definitely on a writing high. Definitely a wonderful place to be.

      Happy reading!

      Delete

Yay! I LOVE comments!