Wednesday, June 26, 2013

What's Up Wednesday (and Ready. Set. WRITE! Update #2)

 
What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. J
 
 
What I'm Reading:  This was some kind of stupendous
It took me a little longer than normal to read this book, not because it wasn't great (it was BEYOND amazing), but because I wanted to prolong Jase and Samantha's relationship. The book is 394 pages and I wanted it to be longer. Like, A LOT longer. Here's a back of the book shout out from Simone Elkeles: Jase and Samantha have a heart-warming romance every girl will envy.
Uh-huh. And then some.
 
Currently Alison-come-lately is reading THE EARTH, MY BUTT, AND OTHER BIG ROUND THINGS by Carolyn Mackler. I'm only two chapters in, but I am completely adoring Virginia Shreves.  How about YOU? What are you reading this week?
What I'm Writing:
 
 
 
 My goal this week was to write 5K and I achieved it. *pats back* I'm approaching that murky middle and my inner editor is rearing her ugly head, so the words are not coming as fast, but I love that I have Ready. Set. WRITE! to keep me accountable.
Last week I shared a little and I wanted to thank you for all your kind words! Again! I'm not going to share an excerpt this week, but I will share a clip from a movie that inspired a scene I wrote (this is one of the diamonds in the rough and TOTALLY keeping)



Totally wanted to see Monsters University after that. Guess who got to see it? My kids. While I was at a Zac Brown concert. I know…choices.
I also wrote another diamond that has That's What She Said written all over it. And yes—totally keeping that one too.
This week, I want to write another 5K. I'm with family and vacationing all week, but I'm still going for it! I REALLY want to be at my midpoint by mid-July. How about YOU?! What are your goals for the week?!
 
OH—and just a few reminders as you post your goals for the week 
1) please make sure you sign up on the What's Up Wednesday linky. That way we can all stay connected and hop around and share with each other!
2) If you get a chance, we would love it if you could  surf the RSW link list (click here) and try to comment on a few new blogs each week, since the whole point of Ready. Set. Write! is to meet new writers and support each other in our goals. Who knows—you might find your writing soul mate and new betas or critique partners by branching out and visiting new blogs!
 
3) Join in with us on a twitter writing party. Or host your own! They're so fun and SO productive. I think Elodie has most of us in a group list now. Just visit the group or hit up the hashtag #readysetwrite to see when we'll be hosting another one!
What Inspires Me Right Now: So, this is going to sound a little self-centered, but rereading my own work. I start most writing sessions by rereading what I wrote the day before or some other part of my story and sometimes that's the boost I need to get my fingers moving across the keyboard.
What Else I've Been Up To:
As mentioned earlier, this non-country gal saw these guys in concert
 
 
 My husband loves country (actually he loves all music) and so off to Raleigh we went for our second annual Zac Brown concert. Yes, I did say second. I did endure country music again, but Zac Brown isn't your normal country artist. The guy plays Aerosmith. And Dave Matthews. And this year he added Metallica and Led Zepplin to the set list. I love all those artists! I really had a good time and I definitely see another Zac Brown concert in my future. J
Sunday I put my fourteen year old on a plane ALL BY HERSELF. And . . . AND she had to switch planes. I think I stopped breathing until she landed four hours later. But she arrived at destination safely and is having a blast with her amazing aunt and uncle and cousin Cole!
And Monday I put in the official paperwork to resign from my teaching gig. I'll miss it, but VERY EXCITED about being around for my freshman and fourth grader next year.
What's up on YOUR Wednesday?  


65 comments:

  1. I want to see Monsters University, too!! Along with other movies (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids LOVED it! I really want to see Despicable Me 2. That's the number one must see.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on getting your word count done. 5k is a lot and I'm so impressed. Congrats Alison!!!! I just re-read MY LIFE NEXT DOOR (I read it during the winter and just wanted to go swimming the whole time...LOL!), a much better summer read I must add. And swoooon Jase and Sam! I love that the story wasn't just their romance - it was more than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too! That book just might be a must re-read. And agree - definitely a great summer read!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I loved MY LIFE NEXT DOOR, too! And congrats on the word count. You can do it this week too! *cheers*

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome that reading your own writing is inspiring you! Seriously--that is a great feeling. Go, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alison-- sounds like an awesome week! My life next door sounds great. I loved TEMBAOBRT (that's a mouthful). What a great book. You are kicking butt with the writing goals. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished TEMBAOBRT on the train yesterday and LOVED it! And thanks! I hope we all have another productive week!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your writing progress! I think I wrote around 25,000 words this week, but I still have a lot of free time till camp starts, and I can type at least 90 wpm. I know I'm not normal in my writing speed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I'm so impressed and awed by this! Go YOU!

      Delete
  7. I want to see Monsters University so badly. I'm curious about the scene you wrote now. Congrats on meeting your word count goal! I'm hoping to knock out three chapters this week, but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my head, the scene I wrote is HILARIOUS. We'll see how it looks to other people, lol. And yes - I want to see MU too! SO mad at my children for not waiting for me!

      Delete
  8. That doesn't sound self-centered - I know exactly what you mean. I love re-reading something and finding a really awesome gem and thinking, "Hey, I wrote this and I rock!"

    Good luck with meeting your writing goal this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great feeling, right?! And thank you! Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  9. I love when i reread passages I wrote and am inspired by my own words, makes the whole writing thing worth it. I really loved My Life Next Door, one of my faves from last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make it worth it. :) Good luck with your goals this week!

      Delete
  10. I love MY LIFE NEXT DOOR! It's one of my CMH comps. :-) Way to go with your writing progress, friend. I am in awe of your word count, and feeling like my 2K goal for this week is super wimpy. And hello... Zac Brown! I'm so jealous! Glad you guys had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - we also know that your 2K is way more polished than my 5K so no feeling wimpy! Also, I can see that MLND is one of your comps. Definitely had a Max and Jillian feel to it. :)

      Delete
  11. My Life Next Door looks so good. I'm totally adding it to my to read list. Congrats on meeting your writing goals, and good luck for next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS good! Hope you enjoy it and good luck to you too!

      Delete
  12. My Life Next Door was on my old TBR list that got lost when my computer deleted everything. I had forgotten about it, so I'm glad you mentioned it so I could get it back on there! Thanks!

    Congrats on meeting your goal! Eventually I'll get to the point of having a word count goal. :)

    I love Monsters, Inc and can't wait to see Monster's University. I love that it was inspiration for your novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And everyone has goals that work for them. I used to have chapter a day goals (they're usually not too long), but that started to not work for me so I do word counts. And yay for Monsters Inc! I love that movie so much!

      Delete
  13. Sometimes I re-read what I wrote from the day before, but its usually because I can't remember one day from the next. Menopause brain. So I keep index cards on a spiral to keep me on track.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - I reread for that reason too, lol. And the index cards is a great idea! Thanks!

      Delete
  14. I think it's great to be the source of your own inspiration. And congratulations on hitting your 5k target. Have an awesome writing week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love love love love love MY LIFE NEXT DOOR...And Katy´s writing reminds me of Huntley Fitzpatrick actually :P
    Congrats on reaching your goal this week Alison. You rock :D And...totally crossing my fingers you´ll share an excerpt next week...
    Oh and I think it´s GREAT that you inspire yourself. Falling in love with your story is important and help during the tough writing slumps that sometimes happen.
    :D
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs to you too, Elodie! And thank you! Maybe I'll share a little something. :)

      Delete
  16. Woot! Congrats on making your writing goal. I recently started one of 1K a day, and so far so good. It's amazing how quickly you come to the end of a WIP when making steady progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! I tell myself that even if I get 200 words in - that's something. Good luck!

      Delete
  17. That's so cool that you're keeping 5K as a goal, even with everything going on! The middle section is hard...that's when I always start looking back and seeing everything that needs to change. :P Good luck on reaching your writing goal this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - that's what I'm doing. So I'm pushing through and making LOTS of notes to self. And good luck to you too!

      Delete
  18. Congrats on retiring, Alison! And I really enjoyed MY LIFE NEXT DOOR too, particularly the relationship between Jase and Samantha. Good for you for reaching your goal this week. That's awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaime! I need this accountability to factor to keep me going. Otherwise I may have only managed 500 instead of 5000!

      Delete
  19. I absolutely loved My Life Next Door. It's one of those books that could have been like a lot of other contemporaries, but the storylines all worked so well together, and the themes and characters experiences were so thoroughly explored. It was so satisfying. Parts of it made me tear up, which is rare for me--I'm not a cryer. I borrowed that book from the library and had a hard time returning it!

    Keep on truckin' with your word count! Sounds like you are really making progress. Ride that wave :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I agree with you about MLND. I definitely see a reread in my future.

      Delete
  20. This post reminded me Monsters University is out and now I have to take my son to see it! Yay! I think your goal of being at the mid-point by mid-July is a great and plausible goal. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I sure hope so. :) And enjoy MU!!! I'll probably wait until the DVD comes out since my kids already saw it. Enjoy!

      Delete
  21. Congrats on pushing through another week of writing! Keep going and keep celebrating the "diamonds"!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My Life Next Door sounds really good, I haven't heard of it before! Adding it to my list!
    Congrats for achieving your goal this week - that's awesome! Feels so good huh (I did not achieve my unwritten goal so i can't get a back pat!)
    I really want to see Monster's University - I think i'll need to borrow my niece to get to go and see it! I love Zac Brown Band - I must admit, I'm a little jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MLND is so good! I hope you get a chance to read it! And I'll be rooting for you this week! Good luck!

      Delete
  23. I really enjoyed MY LIFE NEXT DOOR too, although it has some huge similarities to another WIP of mine, which is always a little disappointing to come across. Great job on meeting your goals last week! I hope even though you're busy visiting family you can squeeze in some writing sessions over the next few days! Also, love that scene from MONSTERS INC. Mike's little song cracks me up every single time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to feel that pinge of disappointment when I read a story similar to mine (I still do), but then I just tell myself that just means it's marketable! And what people want. So no worries!

      I watched that scene from Monsters Inc so many times this week and it still tickles me. Good luck with your goals this week!

      Delete
  24. Wow, 5K. Nice going!

    I also loved MY LIFE NEXT DOOR. Jase's family was awesome. I loved all of his siblings. Actually, just remembering how adorable and funny they were makes me want to reread the book.

    Good luck hitting 5K this week. Hopefully we'll find some time to write together on Twitter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we find some time to write on Twitter too. That's so motivating and FUN!

      And yes - MLND might have to be a summer reread. SO GOOD!

      Delete
  25. I have so many things to comment on that I can't remember them all. First, I have to remember the books you wrote about because I am in between reads and they sound perfect for me. Also, I wasn't officially participating in RSW, but now I think I have to. I'm going to need to make connections with betas and I have never been to a twitter writing party and I am feeling like I am missing out! Also, congrats on the 5k and best of luck to you this upcoming week (also, enjoy vacation!). AND jealous that you resigned. BUT congrats!!!! I resigned last year too..but only to take a new position somewhere else. :) Christy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like that when I read blog posts too! And I hope you can make it to a Twitter party. They are equally fun and motivating!

      And thanks! My resigning leaves us a one-income household (well, stable one anyway) so we'll see if we can handle it. But I am looking forward to spending more time with my family!

      Delete
  26. Congrats on meeting your writing goal! Five thousand words is great!

    I've heard of Mackler's book, and the title alone sounds awesome. I'm putting it on the list! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I just finished Mackler's story. AMAZING!

      Delete
  27. I'm with you Ready.Set.Write does keep me accountable. Congrats on meeting your 5,000 words writing goal. No I don't think it sounds self-centered at all to be inspired by your own writing. I do that too. Especially if the writing is not that bad. Ha! Good luck with your writing goals. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Definitely going to see Monsters University, most likely all by myself. No shame.

    Good luck with your 5k this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would go see that movie by myself! And thanks!

      Delete
  29. I really want to read My Life Next Door, and your review made me move it to the top of my list! Congrats on 5k words, that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO good and I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  30. WAY TO GO! Sounds like you had a very productive week. :) I enjoyed My Life Next Door as well. I look forward to reading more from that author! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's an awesome thing when you can re-read your work and it inspires you to keep going!!! Enjoy your time with family and good luck hitting your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sounds like you're staying busy and embracing Ready. Set. Write! I'm having so much fun with it, and I'm really enjoying meeting new people! *offers hand* Hi, I'm Jessica by the way. :) 5K is amazing for one week! Enjoy your vacation time with your family and good luck with this next week of goals!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Somebody has strapped on their busy-pants! Good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy writing. Keep the updates coming.

    I have that book in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!