Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What's Up Wednesday

 

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. J
What I'm Reading:  GRASPING AT ETERNITY by my amazing friend Karen Amanda Hooper. I just started and it's already two thousand shades of awesome. 

What I'm Writing: First, a little goal setting for

Want to join the fun?! Click here!

I'll be working on the shiny new unnamed story this week. I'm about 17K in and I'd like to add another 5K by next Wednesday. I am SO EXCITED!!!
Second, my lovely friend Juliana tagged me in this awesomely fun game, One Moment. The rules are pretty simple: Search the words “moment,” “forever,” “time,” or the like in your writing, pick your favorite chunk, post on your blog, and tag others! Also, you should check out her snippet here. It's AMAZING.
So I thought I'd share a bit from my new story. Please understand that I typically never share my work publicly until it's been through at least five twenty revisions, so this is kinda raw. Also, it's a little long. Did I mention this is a first draft?

Oh - and just to give you a little insight into my characters, my story centers around seventeen-year-olds Alexandra and Axle Reed who may be twins but their interests (and personalities) are about as connected as baseball and the theater. Perfect twin Alexandra is the glorified virgin of Titan Heights; Axle's the celebrated punk.
Here's a little blurb (see if you can spot the key word!) from my boy Axle's POV. He's a little rough around the edges (warning: his favorite word begins with an f and ends with a k), but I LOVE him. And I hope you do too. J

Here goes... *holds breath*
“I’m fortifying my verbal knowledge for the SAT in two weeks. Which is more than I can say for you Mr. C in English.”
My brow furrows. “I have a C because I refuse to do Hardy’s bullshit essays. I’ll read the books. I’ll ace the tests in my sleep. But I won’t tell her why I think the cafeteria should close or open the vending machines during lunch. Fucking waste.”
“So uncouth, Axl. Is that the same mouth you kiss Mom with?”
Speaking of Mom, Alexandra’s starting to sound just like her. Except Mom doesn’t try to punctuate every other word with some sort of dramatic hand gesture. I really want to sew Alexandra’s hands to her skirt.
“Yep. Same mouth that uses your toothbrush, drinks milk out of the container, and takes your best friend to dinner and licks her—”
Alexandra gasps and holds up a hand. I love getting a rise out of her.
“I do not want the details of your boorish sex life.”
            Again. Why can’t she just say crude? “I was going to say licks her envelopes for fundraiser flyers (true story), but if you want to keep your head in the gutter . . .”
            “My head is not in the gutter, I was merely . . .  it would be nice if  . . .
            “Whatever. Look, I got suspended. I can’t take you home today.”
            “What do you mean you can’t take me? I have to stay and rehearse for my callback this afternoon. Mom’s at the station and Dad’s at the office until six. Dylan’s working at Brewster’s every afternoon. And you know Katrina has to go home right after school.”
            “Wow. I’m so sorry to inconvenience you. But, just in case you care, I got suspended. Which means I can’t try out for baseball. I’m sorry I can’t drive you home from your stupid rehearsal.”
            A hand shoots to her mouth. “Ohmygosh. If you’re suspended, that means Michael must’ve been suspended too. And he has a big Geometry test tomorrow. How am I going to help him get ready for it?”
            I wonder if I’d get an extra day if I just slapped the shit out of my sister right now.  Her adoration for anything Michael Titan is repulsive. Maybe I should just let her find out the hard way what a jerk this guy really is.
            But then I think about what he said to me this morning. Probably best to just change the subject. And leave.
            Without warning, Mr. Wibble wheels his janitor cart between us. Most of us call him Yoda because a) he’s short and has white hair and semi-pointy ears. The only thing missing there is the green skin. And b) he's forever saying shit under his breath. Shit that sounds just like Yoda. He mumbles something—what, I don’t know—and freaking takes his dust mop and starts cleaning the floors. Right between us.
            Rude, much?
            I give him my best WTF face. He simply smiles and says, “Clean the floors, I must.”
            Fucking head case.

Did I mention this is in the first draft stage? *hides*

OH - and I'm supposed to tag someone. So I tag you. And you. And YOU. Yes - I did just tag you all. Let me know when you post your snippet! 
What Inspires Me Right Now: YOU. Seriously. I am SO inspired (and awed and humbled and moved) by the number of you signing up for Ready. Set. WRITE! I can't wait to see what you all are going to accomplish this summer!
What Else I've Been Up To: Watching my children grow up too fast. Two weeks ago, my fourteen-year-old went to her eighth grade formal. She's now officially a freshman. My son made principal's list for the first time this year! I'm so proud of my family and I can't wait to spend oodles of time with them. J

What's up on YOUR Wednesday? Are you participating in Ready. Set. Write!? What are your goals for the week? 

51 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm so impressed by everyone's ambitions goals already. I'm like, "I'm going to be Thinking" for my goal and everyone else is planning to "revise x pages" or "write x words," heehee. You all inspire me, and your story sounds like a lot of fun. Nice snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And so glad to have you on board for Ready. Set. WRITE!

      Delete
  2. I really like the name Axle. It fits his character and his voice is so natural and spot-on. And you think this is rough? This doesn't read like a first draft, in my opinion.

    I like that they're fraternal twins and not identical. You don't see a lot of that in YA.

    And...now you have me hooked. I want to know what this Michael kid said to him and how he got himself suspended. I'm seriously going to be rooting for you to finish writing this this summer because I like what I've read so far.

    Good luck with meeting your next goal!

    Also, I hope your daughter likes freshman year and congrats to your son for making principal's list.

    Enjoy the rest of your day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!!! This comment made me smile THIS BIG!!! So glad you like Axle and that you're hooked. I am so excited about this story and can't wait until I can work on it some more!

      Thanks again for your kind words!

      Delete
  3. That's a really good blurb for the 1st draft! You defintiely don't have to hide your head.

    My older daughter is starting the 9th grade this Fall too. *sigh* They really grow up fast.

    Now, go get that word count! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They DO grow up too fast! And thank you for the kind words. Can't wait to write more!

      Delete
  4. I'm never brave enough to share snippets (especially first draft ones) with anyone but critique partners.

    My kids are 15 (now a sophomore and permitted driver!) and 13 (an eighth grader). Sheesh. Wish I could slow time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually like that too, Barbara. I was actually going to share from the story I finished revising (for now), but I got a streak of bold the other day. Might as well go with it. :)

      And yes to slowing down time. JEEZ

      Delete
  5. Yay, glad you joined the game! Loved the excerpt!
    And yay for the shiny new unnamed story! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juliana! And thanks for inviting me to play along!

      Delete
  6. Yay for your goals!!! And your WIP snippet - it reads like a third draft, Alison, I promise. I do have to admit if I hadn't read that Axle and Alexandra were siblings *giggles* they had a lot of chemistry... ;-) Anyway I loved their verbal sparring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. Wibble lol - I can totally picture this guy, along with Alexandra's dramatic gestures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I am NOT heavy on description so it made me smile to read this comment. Glad I could give you a visual!

      Delete
  8. I love the snappy dialogue in your snippet! If that's a first draft--you are in incredible writing shape, my friend! Excited to hear more about this project as the summer goes on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca! And I can't wait to hear more about what you're working on too!

      Delete
  9. I love love love your snippet! Very exciting :) I may accept your tag later this week and jump in. I'm excited to be writing with you this summer (even if I'm not a frequent comment on your blog--such things can change!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Please let me know if you do!

      And SO glad you're on board for Ready. Set. WRITE!

      Delete
  10. Good luck with your summer writing goals. When you're committed and inspired, you can write a lot of pages very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great goals, Alison! I love this snippet that you've shared with us. You've got guy voice down to a science. A science, I say! If you ever need another beta reader, I volunteer myself. ;-) Looking forward to seeing more of your awesome progress as the weeks go by. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So,I'm TOTALLY taking you up on your offer - as long as I get to read for you too!

      Thanks for the story love!

      Delete
  12. wow, I loved that excerpt, I want more! And awesome writing goals, here's to all of us joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I am so excited about everyone involved and writing in RSW!

      Delete
  13. You've got some great lines in that snippet! And since when is this a first draft?! I thought they were supposed to be crappy, and this is definitely NOT crappy. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - there might have been a teensy bit of tweaking before posting, but not much! Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  14. You know I love your excerpt... I cannot wait to read more of this story!

    I'm with you on watching the kiddos grow up too fast. Why can't I just freeze time and keep my baby from turning six in a few months?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just. You. Wait. But I hope you get to enjoy and savor every moment with your girlie. :)

      Also, I can't wait to write more and finish so you can read this story!

      Delete
  15. I love the snippet, I definitely wanted to read more!

    Wow going to her first formal is a big step! Time goes so fast, too fast! Yay for your son making the Principles list!

    Good Luck with your writing I hope you get loads done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you have a wonderful writing week as well!

      Delete
  16. I love your character's voice. He's very relatable!

    Fellow bloggers are so inspiring, aren't they? ^_^ The enthusiasm and excitement is absolutely infectious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been on an exclamation point high ALL DAY. SO excited about RSW and so glad you've joined in with us!

      Delete
  17. I LOVE that snippet! It's dual POV, right? I adore dual POV, and Axle and Alexandra seem like they're very different so I bet it's going to be reeeaaal interesting :)

    I feel like time is going way too quickly--how is it June?! I can't imagine what it must be like to see your kids growing up fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS dual POV and I love Alexandra just as much as Axle! Maybe I'll share a little from her next week. Hmmm.

      Delete
  18. ZOMG. Your snippet totally had me entranced. I'm so glad you shared it. I love Axle's sense of humor. :0) I did one earlier in the week, so to see mind you'll have to travel back in time on my blog.
    Can't wait to see all the cool things people do for R.S.W!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am heading over there very soon! Can't wait to read your snippet!

      And thank you for the kind words! I'm excited to see what happens too!

      Delete
  19. Love your snippet! I know what you mean about sharing snippets. I freak out in my brain whenever I do.

    Good luck with drafting!

    Ack! A kiddo in high school! My oldest is just in middle school and, already, he feels like he's way way too old to be my kid. Me? Responsible to parent a tween?

    Can't wait to get to know you and everyone else better with R.S.W! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I know - where does time go?!

      Also -agree that we are way too young to be parents of teens!

      Delete
  20. Love your excerpt-- I definitely would want to read more!

    Good luck with your writing goals! I'm so excited to participate in Ready. Set. Write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited you've jumped aboard the RSW train! Can't wait to see what everyone's writing!

      Delete
  21. I LOVE your excerpt! Axle's voice is great and I love the sibling banter! Good luck with your R.S.W! goal. I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all the story love! And good luck to you too!

      Delete
  22. THAT was a first draft?! Okay, you have absolutely no reason to hide. There were parts of this that made me laugh right out loud. Axle's voice is awesome, and I loved the bit about the janitor that looks like Yoda! Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one around here with a teenage kid. They grow up waaaay too fast. Hope you enjoy the summer with your family and that you meet all your writing goals! Looks like you're off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Yoda part makes me snicker every time. I couldn't imagine sharing anything else. And Yoda's kind of a key player so he has been and I'm sure will continue to be very fun to write!

      Good luck with your goals this week!

      Delete
  23. Thanks for sharing your snippet. I feel the same way about sharing early, un-revised, unpolished stuff. It's very brave of you. I like your characters, especially the swearing brother. :)

    Enjoy your summer with your kiddos. I have to admit, I'm a weeeee bit envious of that. I decided today to set a goal to be home with my kids next summer - somehow.

    Good luck with your writing goals! I look forward to seeing how this all works out for everyone. Think of how many people you've inspired and how many hundreds of thousands of words will be written because of it. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OH! Loved your snippet! Very fun. Good luck on your writing goals. I think this is going to be a fun writing summer!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Alison, I loved that snippet. Thank you for hosting such an awesome summer writing event.

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE love love the snippet you shared, but you know that already. And having seen another excerpt, I know I need you to finish this book very soon :-)

    I'm sure you're going to do great with your goals and I am totally cheering you on! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved your snippet and it has me curious about your new WIP! Good luck with your goals this week so we can read more ;)

    Maybe I'll post a snippet next Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. A loved your snippet, Alison. This had me giggling. I look forward to reading more. :) I read Grasping at Eternity and LOVED it. I have Taking Back Forever and can't wait to start. (Just have to finish my WIP first) I signed up Read.Set.Write. Thank you for stopping by my blog. Good luck on your writing goals.Can't wait to see what you have for next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like the voice in your excerpt. :)

    I read Karen's first book and I've been meaning to read her other books.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!