Wednesday, July 3, 2013

What's Up Wednesday (and Ready. Set. WRITE! update #3!)


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. J

What I'm Reading: This week I read

All very poignant and powerful. All stories about loss, betrayal, romance, growing up and discovering oneself, hope, and most importantly—kisses. Of the steamy and awesome variety. Everything I love, love, love about YA.
I just started The American Heiress (Daisy Goodwin), this month's book club read. It's an adult book. Historical fiction. Not something I'd typically pick up. But it does star a very sassy eighteen-year-old and I'm enjoying it so far.
How about YOU? What are you reading this week?
What I'm Writing:
Despite two days of road trips and vacations with family, I still really wanted to keep with my goal of five thousand words. I didn’t write anything until Saturday, but then thankfully I kicked it into gear and wrote six thousand words this week. I can't tell you how much Ready. Set. Write! and the Twitter parties are helping! I feel accountable and I don't want to disappoint you or myself!
A couple weeks ago I shared a few excerpts from my new story and um . . . I'm going to share again. If you want a little insight into my two stars, you can check those excerpts out here and here. Also, as you read, neurotic and anxious Alison would like you to please keep in mind that
a) this is a ROUGH first draft 
b) my boy Axle is a little on the uncouth side. As his sister might say, there might be some unpleasant words 
c) this is a ROUGH first draft
Okay, here goes. Enjoy!
“Grace Adams? Grace. Adams? Really, Axl? I was outside the auditorium for twenty minutes waiting for you. Can you not keep your . . . your thing in your pants for five minutes?”
            I laugh out loud, and Alexandra huffs and makes a dramatic show of turning her entire body to the passenger window. Whatever, drama queen. “I can’t help it if I can’t keep my dick in my pants. I’m horny. I have needs. And I can’t help it that your inability to say dick, penis, schlong, (she gasps on each word) or anything remotely related to sexual genitalia makes me laugh. Or that your vagina’s (loud, dramatic gasp) frozen over because you’re saving yourself for a guy who will never look at you.”
 “I am ignoring you. I am in too good a mood, correction—I was in too good a mood—and I am not going to let you and your sexual exploits and your hurtful words spoil it.” She straightens, flips that damn ponytail, and taps her fingers on the console, clearly waiting for me to ask why she’s in a good mood. I won’t.
            “Just so you know—I had callbacks this afternoon and I was incredible, thank you very much. Fonda even pulled me aside after everyone left and asked me if I was up for a challenge this year. That he’s going to need me to step outside of my usual box. That he’ll be giving me an opportunity to grow as an actress.” I don’t need to glance at her out of the corner of my eye to know that her face is beaming, that she’s dancing her entire upper body while she tells me her stupid story. “So, I know. I just know I’m getting the lead. I mean, why else would he say all that to me, pull me aside when everyone else is gone, swear me to secrecy.” She pulls down the passenger side mirror, primps her ponytail, and sings, “Look at me, I’m Sandra Dee—”
            “Lousy with virginity,” I mutter. “Yep. You’re certainly perfect for the part.”
 Did I mention this is a ROUGH first draft?

This week I want to plot out the rest of the fun and games section to the midpoint. There are several scenes that need to be in there and I'd like to figure out their placement before I write them. And I want to stick with my 5K goal as well. *crosses fingers*
How about YOU?! What are your goals for the week?!
 What Inspires Me Right Now: Exercise. Music. YOU. My family. The inordinate amounts of rain have intruded on my beloved sun time so guess what I've been doing more of these past few weeks? Yep. Writing. So, we'll add that to the inspiration list too.
What Else I've Been Up To:
the time suck also known as #MSWL Anyone else spend an two five hours on that?
The YA Buccaneers! Have you checked it out?! Erin, Bridgid, Erin, Jaime, Ghenet, Sara, and several others have formed the awesomeness that is this new group blog and it sounds fun and informative and their pirate pics are crazy awesome. I'm excited to see what the future brings  for this blog and this group of amazing ladies. Also, I'm excited for the word sprints. #justsayin
Hanging out with family. BIG family reunion in PA last weekend which was tons of fun and just really nice to catch up with relatives I only see once a year every few years. I love living in NC, but sometimes I wish I wasn't so far away. I was also able to spend the afternoon with my sister-n-law and her family and surprise my mother-n-law with a visit from the grandkids on the way home! It was an exhausting week, but an amazing time.
What's up on YOUR Wednesday?


58 comments:

  1. I think I only wrote about 10,000 words this past week, since I was busy with starting camp and a few other things. Do you mind sharing whereabouts in PA you're from? My family is from the Pittsburgh area, with some people from around Latrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am from Douglassville which is about 20 minutes east of Reading. But most of my family is from outer areas of Philly so that's where I typically visit. :)

      Also, ONLY 10000 words? You're amazing!

      Delete
  2. I've got family in the Pittsburgh area, too :)

    Love the sibling dynamic you have going on with your WIP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are definitely fun to write!

      Delete
  3. YAY for 6,000 words...even when you were traveling and busy!!!!!! Way to go, Alison! :D

    I used to live in Charlotte, NC (not sure where you are), and I loved it. Right now I'm living in southern NJ, near-ish to Philly, so, not sure if you were near me or not, but if so, next time you're up here, let me know. :)

    We've had rain rain rain for weeks, too. So over it. I want ☼ !!!

    Have a great week of writing and Happy Fourth of July!!!
    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely let you know the next time I'm up there. I HOPE to go to ALA in January. It's in Philly so if I get there we should definitely get together!

      The rain has been horrible. But I see lots of sunshine in our future! Yay!

      Delete
  4. 6,ooo words... Fantastic! Way to go lady, and I LOVE your excerpt. "Lousy with virginity..." :) I've been wanting to read IN HONOR forever. I love Jessi Kirby's other two books, and I know I'd love this one as well. I've heard that the love interest is awesome. Best of luck with your goals for the next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee - Rusty is kind of awesome. :) I must get my hands on GOLDEN. I love Jessi Kirby's stories!

      Delete
  5. That's a great list of books, some of my favorites! Congrats on the amazing word mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully this week will bring more of the same!

      Delete
  6. WOW 6,000 words. FANTASTIC, Alison!!!!! I love Jessi Kirby (MOONGLASS and I can't wait to read GOLDEN) but IN HONOR didn't move me the way MOONGLASS did. Ah well. You win some you lose some. Good luck with your goals next week and wow I looooved that excerpt. I was laughing out loud over here :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love when my stories make people laugh! Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Your MC's crack me up and the dialog/banter is spot on. Good luck with your goals this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, Alison!! Congratulations on exceeding your writing goals! Thank you so much for sharing your excerpt with us this week. You have such an amazing YA voice, and your characters are so real to me with hints of complications that I want to know more about! Awesome <3 Wishing you all the best with your writing this week and thank you for always being so encouraging to me! It really means a lot <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Temre - your words are INSPIRING. So thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the excerpt!

      Delete
  9. That's about how I got my 6k in this past week (due to vacationing) too. All in one shot! GREAT JOB. And I love the characters you've got in your novel. That's what my WIP is lacking, conflicted dialogue. Characters that are so opposite that dialogue sizzles. AND this is my third blog to visit and I'm starting to lose track of the BOOKS I want to read now! I'm so glad we're sharing what we're reading. AND HOW DID YOU HAVE TIME TO WRITE THAT MUCH AND READ THAT MUCH? You amaze. Christy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny. I always seem to spout out dialogue first, then go back and fill in the details. Just comes easier for some reason. Description - not so much. But thank you! I love my characters too!

      Delete
  10. WOW, Word Count Queen! And thanks for sharing from your draft. I agree you've got an amazing voice there. So funny!

    And ooooh, I LOVED In Honor. I've heard great things about the others but haven't read them yet. I have such a long TBR list, aaaah!

    Have a great word-filled week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! My TBR is crazy long. I literally have 50 books sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. The days just need to be longer!

      Delete
  11. I love love love the excerpt and the Greece tie in! Love it! also, awesome on 6k. I just love it when I get on a roll and actually meet my goals, so hooray :) Hope this week is just as great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Usually I can get 1000 in one session. But I was rolling this week and it felt great! So glad you liked the excerpt! Thank you!

      Delete
  12. Thanks so much for the YA Buccaneers shout-out! The pirate pics were especially fun to do. (There's actually a Pirate Yourself app. :P) Wow! You're a writing machine, Alison! Good for you! And awesome that you shared another snippet. The voice is just off the charts. :) We've been having the opposite of your weather this week: crazy hot and humid. I think today we've been given a reprieve from the humid, so I'm pretty grateful for that. Have a great week, Alison! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG - totally checking out that app! And thank you for your kind words. These guys make it easy for me. They are just so fun to write!

      Delete
  13. Way to go writing 6000 words this week! And I'm envious of your ability to read so many books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The books were all under 300 pages and very easy reads. The three coming up on the TBR are in the 4 and 5 hundred page length. Might take me a bit longer. :)

      Delete
  14. Wow, you are on fire. 6K? You rock, lady. Also, I love that excerpt. I want to slap Axel upside the head, but I have a feeling he's the kind of guy you learn to really love.

    Oh, and I'm glad it wasn't just me who got sucked into the black hole that was #MSWL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a black hole, wasn't it?! But really informative and fun!

      And thank you! I heart Axle SO MUCH so I hope I can pull off his likeability factor. We'll see.

      Delete
  15. Congratulations on the 6,000 words! I loved the excerpt, I wish my rough drafts read so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There may have been a teensy bit of tweaking before I posted, but still work to do. :)

      Delete
  16. 6,000 words is a-mazing, Alison! Way to blow your goal out of the water, that's for sure.

    And another impressive snippet - been loving reading these and getting to know your characters a little more. And Axle uncouth? Pa-lease. I LOVE him!!! And I soooooo want more of him. If you're in need of another CP when this one's ready to roll, sign me up!

    Thanks for the YA Buccaneers shout out, too! It's all been so much fun and I can't wait for what else we have in store.

    I hope you have a wonderful 4th of July and best of luck with your writing goals for this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am DEFINITELY taking you up on that offer to read! And I love the YA Buccaneers! I bet you guys have had a blast putting it all together!

      Delete
  17. Oh, this gave me a good laugh! I know this is only the third excerpt you've shared but I already love these two. They're so much fun and both of their voices work so well together. Congrats on writing 6K! That's amazing considering how busy you were!

    And I am adding those books to my TBR-list. They sound like just the kind of books I love to read.

    Enjoy the rest of your week and happy writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! These comments are making my heart sing! And yes - they are so fun to write and I love them!

      Delete
  18. 6000 words is amazing, especially with everything else you've had to do. And your snippet is great. Very snappy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love me some snappy dialogue!

      Delete
  19. Your excerpts make me do little happy dances. I would read the hell out of this thing. I'm just realizing that it's really rare to get an uptight theater kid in books or movies--you always see the stereotypical "artsy", boundary-pushing kids with purple hair or whatever. But Alexandra? We would have been buds in HS. (I have since learned to appreciate a good cuss word and choice slang for the human anatomy. But I was late to the party.) I love her so much. And I love seeing her and her brother trying to deal with each other. And OMG what does this crazy theater teacher have in store? I *must* know about the casting of this thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexandra and I would have definitely been bffs in high school. Actually I see a lot of myself in her. Crazy. And yes - this theater teacher has some interesting things in store. I can't wait to let you all in on more.

      Also, thank you so much for your kind words!

      Delete
  20. that excerpt was hilarious! And, yes, I spent way too much on MSWL, addicting! 6,000 words! Wow, that's incredible. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes - MSWL was SO addicting!

      Delete
  21. I loveloveLOVE your snippets! I'm developing a huge soft spot for Axle :)

    And I adore THE EARTH, MY BUTT, AND OTHER BIG ROUND THINGS--I never hear anyone talk about it which is a travesty because it's incredible! One of my all-time faves from back when I was a real young adult (not the pretend one I am now, haha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! I love Axle and hope my readers will feel that way!

      TEMBAOBR was awesome! Maybe I'll do a review in the future.

      Delete
  22. I can't believe how much you got written while on the road with your family! Way to go! You're burning through this WIP! Thanks for sharing another awesome excerpt. Axle makes me snicker so much.

    As for #MSWL, I was really lucky with that one. I hadn't heard about it, and then Jaime directed me to a site where someone compiled all the agent tweets. Super helpful! (Jaime and the agents who took part)

    Thanks for mentioning YA Buccaneers in your post, and good luck with your weekly writing goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tough, Erin. I just had to get up early and hole myself away for a couple hours. Glad I did though. I wrote some pretty funny parts this week.

      Oh, the recap is AWESOME. KK Hendin did a great job. And they're having another MSWL in September!

      Delete
  23. 6000 words???? Well you basically work <3 and this excerpt? I love it! The back-and-forth, the call-backs...I was smiling the entire time I was reading :-)
    I really thought IN HONOR was a great book! Cheering you on for this week Alison!!! (and for another excerpt next week? :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm cheering you on too, Elodie! And thank you for your encouragement! It is beyond inspiring!

      Delete
  24. Love Jessi Kirby! This week I'm reading GOLDEN also, Nicole McInnies BRIANNA ON THE BRINK. Writing poetry every day. Playing the harp every chance I get (new to me--three weeks today--LOVE LOVE LOVE).

    Write on, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have a great week ahead! And the harp?! Love it!

      Delete
  25. WOW...if that's rough, I can only imagine what polished is like! Kudo's!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Definitely needs work, but it'll get there!

      Delete
  26. Yay for more excerpts!
    And I did the same thing with my writing; cramming everything into the last half of the week. It still counts!! :D Hope you have a great writing week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it does count! I hope you have a great writing week too!

      Delete
  27. Grease. Love it. And I loved your excerpt.

    Looks like you read some great books this week! I've got all three Jessi Kirby books out from the library and I hope to get to them this long weekend.

    Thanks for the shout out for the Buccaneers - it's going to be a fun adventure!

    Hope you're having a fabulous Fourth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are incredible to keep and exceed your word goal, despite all the busy things in your life! Go you! I would have just...written it all off as a loss, haha. Thanks for sharing your excerpt too! I found it amusing and love the strong voice!

    I love family reunions, probably because of all the food. Glad yours was fun, and I hope you and yours had a happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like the uncouthness of your boy Axle. I am interested to see where this all going! I kind of love the title of that first book, "The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things", sounds hilariously honest. Hope you had a great holiday, and are still having a wonderful long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your excerpt! It totally made me laugh. :)

    Ooh, and I loved THE EARTH, MY BUTT, AND OTHER BIG ROUND THINGS. It's so heartbreaking, but funny too.

    Thank you so much for mentioning YA Buccaneers!! That's ridiculously sweet and awesome of you. :)

    Good luck with your word count goal!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I enjoyed your excerpt! AMAZING job on your word count--6000 words is awesome!

    I also got sucked into #MSWL last week. It was a good way to find new agents to query. I'm glad they created a tumblr too.

    Thanks for the YA Buccaneers shout-out! I'm glad you've enjoyed the site so far! I'm also really excited for our word sprints.

    Hope you had a nice 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  32. OMG I spent WAY too much time looking through the #MSWL tweets (and adding agents to my list who hadn't been on it previously).

    I read Absolutely True Diary in my YA Lit class in college and I loved it! It might be one of my favorite books ever.

    Great job fitting in all those words around everything you had going on last week! I love the interactions between Axle and Alexandra. They've got a realistic sibling relationship going on, and some of the things Axle says make me laugh out loud.

    Good luck with your writing the rest of this week!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I loved Mackler's book. The title grabbed me and the story didn't disappoint.

    Great excerpt. When I'm crunched on time, I find a way to keep up with my goals.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!