Wednesday, August 21, 2013

What's Up Wednesday (14): The Catch-Up Edition

First—can you believe that RSW is ending in ONE WEEK?!?!?! Yep—next week is it, folks. Not that I'm going to stop goal-setting and writing after that, but still. The summer writing intensive is almost over. *cries*

On that note, my fabulous co-hosts and I would like to thank you for participating and celebrate your success by offering critiques. Now, let me disclaimer all that by saying in no way do we think we're super experts who can make your work best-seller material, but we do know how nice and helpful it can be to get some fresh eyes on our stories. SO…each one of us is offering our fresh eyes (or in Alison's case . . . old eyes) on the first ten pages of your story. Yes—that's FIVE critique giveaways! All you have to do is pop in next Wednesday (August 28) and enter via rafflecopter.
OH—the giveaway is open internationally and is only open to those who have participated in Ready. Set. WRITE! Thank you SO MUCH for participating in the summer writing intensive!

Second—guys, I am SO sorry I failed to post last week. All is good. I read, even met my writing goals. Just had a blah couple of days. I'm all good now though and ready to share!
And now for What's Up Wednesday!


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. J
What I'm Reading:

I finished reading 17 & GONE (Nova Ren Suma). I wasn't a huge IMAGINARY GIRLS fan, but this one? BLEW. ME. AWAY. So good, guys. SO good. I am a renewed Nova Ren Suma fan!
And just when I didn't think my summer reading could get any better, I read SECOND CHANCE SUMMER (Morgan Matson). It's part of the YABuccaneers Reading Mutiny this month and it’s also the YA Book Club read for August. I'll post a review on September 3 for YA Book Club and thank goodness because right now my review would probably look like this

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guys, if I could give this book 20 out of 5 goodreads stars, I would. BEST book I read all year. Read it. But arm yourself with tissues. Just sayin'.

How about YOU? What are you reading this week?
What I'm Writing:


Boring ol' Alison wanted to continue her writing routine with the 5K a week goal. Well, I did make the goal last week (and didn't post—BAD Alison) and then wrote 8000 more this week. And I did surpass the 70K mark, meaning I wrote more than 50000 words this summer with RSW. Guys, could NOT have done this without your support and this feeling of accountability. Granted, that 70K is 75% crap / 25% diamond, but as my astute writing friend Liz Parker reminded me, "The diamonds make it all worth it."

Anyway—not sharing a snippet this week, but I do want to share two things I wrote about.

First - I wrote a bus scene ala Pitch Perfect and there are many similarities. Well, there's no burrito shot. And the bus doesn't run out of gas. And there are guys singing instead of girls. Oh—and instead of singing Miley Cyrus, my boys belt out "Shoeless Joe from Hannibal Mo." (Damn Yankees) and "Greased Lightning" (Grease). BUT, they are singing. And a burst of spontaneous bonding occurs. Did I mention there's singing? On a bus?

Second - in this story, I have a character most everyone calls Yoda. So cheesy Star Wars one-liners may or may not pop into my script. Ya know, like

Impressive. Most impressive.

Do or do not. There is no try.

That's two you owe me, junior.

And (sadly) others. This week, I added this one

No. No, that's not true. That's impossible!

*sigh* Even if no one else ever does, I love this story.

This week I want to finish out RSW with a teensy more ambitious goal: either write 8K or hit the Black Moment and write it.

How about YOU?! What are your goals for the week?!  

What Inspires Me Right Now:
These guys...
 
 
Oh - and click here.
Last year, my husband's boys won the 3A Soccer State Championship and were ranked number 2 in the country by maxpreps.com. The article I link to shows them as one of the top ten teams to watch. IN THE COUNTRY. Yeah . . . I'm pretty proud.
Also, their motto is BELIEVE. Believe in yourself. Believe in each other. Believe in your dreams.

To me, that's been the most beautiful and wonderful thing about RSW. The belief in and encouragement of one another. I have read A LOT of amazing snippets and have read about so many awesome stories. I can't wait to see them all in print! We can do this, guys. We can DO IT!
What Else I've Been Up To:

Enjoying the last week before my children go off to school. Gearing up for football (GO EAGLES!!!). Oh—and I'm participating in Krista VanDolzer's (Mother. Write. Repeat.) Agent In-box contest this week. Pop on over and wish me luck!
 
What's been going on in your world?  And what's up on YOUR Wednesday?!
 

50 comments:

  1. I love love loved SECOND CHANCE SUMMER! :)
    CROSSING MY FINGERS for you for the Agent Inbox context <3
    and WOW on your writing! You rock lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your Wednesday and stopping by my blog and your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 50,000 words is an awesome accomplishment. Go, Alison!
    You are making me excited to read Second Chance Summer--I'll try to amp up my reading this weekend to try to get to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love SCS as much as I did! Hope you get to read it soon!

      Delete
  4. Good luck at Agent's Inbox!

    I really want to read Second Chance Summer. All this talk about it is making me bump it up my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I hope you get to read SCS soon!

      Delete
  5. WOW! 50000 words this summer, that's fantastic. Congratulations. There's the cliche saying about a diamond in the rough, but I forgot it. But you get what I mean. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diamonds in crap is a little bit of a better find, IMHO. ;) And thanks!

      Delete
  6. Good luck in the contest, and with your writing goals for the rest of the summer.

    I might've written 10,000ish words this last week, since I no longer have camp to fill most of my hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Your word count is inspiring! And thanks! Same to you!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on so many words in one summer, that's definitely something to be proud of! I just watched Pitch Perfect the other day, I love the bus scene. I also love the fact that you have so many references to Yoda in your manuscript. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been fun to write. And the bus scene and the Star Wars lines make it easier to write those tough scenes.

      Delete
  8. I loved your post, Alison! First, awesome job on your writing progress!!! Wow, 50,000 words is an incredible accomplishment! Also, I adore the fact that you have a character named Yoda in your story! I love quirky characters, and I love Star Wars. The bus scene also sounds classic <3 That's so neat too about your husband's soccer team and seeing the picture of them arm in arm made my heart happy. I kind of think of us writers this way too, and how the community that we all have together is so very special. Wishing you all the best of luck in the agent contest this week and that you enjoy your last week of summer <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Temre! I don't know what I'd do without the writing community. And thanks! I am a big Star Wars nerd so it's fun to finally have that love sneak its way into a story.

      Delete
  9. Holy wow, Alison. 50,000?! You rocked my socks off. Or something like that. Anyway--I think I'm with you on the diamond:crap ratio, but that's okay. That's what editing is for :) Looking forward to writing with you this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love our Twitter parties! Just wish I could join in on a few more.

      Delete
  10. I love that your WiP includes inspirational bits from Pitch Perfect and Yoda -- this story is going to be so awesome, Alison! And your word count... So motivating! I'm sad RSW is winding down because I agree: it's been such an inspiration to write with my friends and cheer them on, and have them encourage me every step of the way. Let's keep up the same spirit even after RSW ends next week.

    Best of luck with your writing this week, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you, friend! And agreed - we need to keep up the weekly support and Twitter parties!

      Delete
  11. I haven't read Second Chance Summer, but after seeing all those exclamation points, I'm going to have to add it to the list.

    And 50K is huge, go you!! And I agree with your CP's those diamonds are Worth It. Big time. And, p.s. your Yoda lines made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! The Yoda lines make me laugh too. :) And definitely get your hands on SCS. SO good!

      Delete
  12. Good luck on the contest, I saw that posting for the contest. And way to go on 50k written this summer! Wow!!! Awesome news.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should absolutely be glad for those diamonds, Alison! In a first draft, those gems are a great encouragement, reminding us that we can do this novel-writing thing. :) Congrats for getting so much accomplished.

    And there's nothing wrong with cheesy Star Wars quotes (says the guy who's sprinkling his novel with ABBA song quotes)! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I am not a huge ABBA fan, but I am so intrigued by your story because of it! Those little things can add such a neat dimension to a story!

      And thanks! I hope I have as much productivity this week!

      Delete
  14. I have just loved Ready, Set, Write it's really helped me achieve so much this summer! I'm so glad you had the idea and I'm really, really hoping there might be an Autumn RSW :)

    Congratulations on all those words you wrote this summer. What an amazing achievement and how great to love your story so much. I'm glad you're having fun with it :)

    After that glowing recommendation of Second Chsnce Summer I will have to read it!

    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were able to accomplish so much! I don't know about an autumn RSW (although that does sound awesome!), but I will definitely continue to post goals and report status on WUW each week. And continue to encourage. That's been the best part!

      Delete
  15. You've kicked some serious writing butt this summer, Alison! And having read the snippets you've posted, I'm sure there are plenty of diamonds in there! Love the Star Wars quotes. They make the nerd in me totally giddy. I can see why you'd be inspired by the soccer team your husband coaches. Very impressive! And I love how you tied in their motto to RSW! Hope this last week is a productive one for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin - for all your kind words! I hope this last week is productive for you too!

      Delete
  16. 17&GONE and SECOND CHANCE SUMMER have both been on my TBR list forever. I never seem to get to them. GAH. Your posts always make me juggle stuff around on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, juggle away. Those two reads were SO awesome!

      Delete
  17. Allison,

    Yours was actually the first one I commented on Krista's blog. I HAD NO IDEA it was yours! I was very impressed, and would love to see how it plays out.

    Whoa on the word count — both this week and overall this summer! — that must feel wonderful. Your diamonds are in there, and they will surely shine in revision. Also, I love Yoda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO MUCH for all these kind words! And LOVED your entry! And whoa on all those credits and that blurb you have already. I was impressed all around! Go YOU!

      Delete
  18. Yay! I'm glad you liked 17 & Gone because I did too! I was so impressed by how it all came together and how suspenseful but also nuanced it was. Also, I'm going to try to make the YA Book Club deadline this time & read Second Chance Summer. I am pumped to read it now though because of your !!!!! filled reaction!

    Congrats on your amazing word count achievement during RSW, and Yoda/Star Wars one-liners are always awesome to me. :) Good luck with the contest too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! And I hope you get a chance to pick up SCS. It's so good!

      Delete
  19. What a great update! That's awesome that your writing went so well this summer (50K?!?!). I hope it continues to go well. Major kudos to your husband and his team! What an accomplishment. :) And your reviews of 17 & GONE and SECOND CHANCE SUMMER already have me hooked. Can't wait to read your reviews!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I hope all our writing continues to go well. Forward progress!

      Delete
  20. 50000 words is awesome congrats! Your bus scene sounds awesome. I loved Pitch Perfect. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pitch Perfect is one of those movies I could watch over and over and over and over and...

      So, clearly, I am equally pumped about the bus scene. :)

      Delete
  21. For me, there can never be too many group singing scenes - the Tiny Dancer sing-along in the movie "Almost Famous" is a moment of zen every time I watch it.

    50k words this summer!!! *cheers for you*

    Good luck with the Agent Inbox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love group singing scenes too, but it is a challenge to WRITE one. It's been fun though.

      And thanks!

      Delete
  22. WOW is the word Alison-- so busy and productive and inspiring!!! I love hearing about your project and your hub's team-- amazing! And I'm all for singing. Anywhere. Any way. More singing is great by me! :0) Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your kind words! And I hope you're able to finish up what you need to finish before the little one arrives!

      Delete
  23. Congrats on 8k last week, and for getting over 70k total! Even if a lot of it has to change, now you have something to work with.

    Good look in the Agent's Inbox!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't wait to dig in to SECOND CHANCE SUMMER as soon as I finish CITY OF BONES. I've heard nothing but awesome things about it. So glad we were able to twist Tracey's arm into making it this month's YA Book Club read. :P You're kicking your WIP's butt, Alison! Whoa! Even if it needs work once you're done, doesn't matter. You've accomplished SO much this summer! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Second Chance Summer is high on my TBR list right now and based upon your !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! recommendation, I think it just moved to the very top.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You've got me curious about those books.

    Congrats on the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooo I'm intrigued by that book. Gonna have to get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats on 70k! That's so awesome that you've written so much this summer. And you love the story, which is the most important part. I personally am a huge fan of Star Wars references, and I'm sure I'm not the only one :)

    I really need to get SECOND CHANCE SUMMER from the library...

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!