What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. J
What I'm Reading:
I spent the week with Raven Boys which was pretty much the best reading week I've had all year. J I reread THE RAVEN BOYS first. This girl does not reread books, but last year I kind of sort of DEVOURED THE RAVEN BOYS and I really wanted to go back and SAVOR the story this round. And did I. It was as much if not more phenomenal on second read.
And while the story's beyond amazing, the Raven Boys? Hoo boy. After the initial read last year, I could most definitely conclude
I have an incredible crush on Gansey
I mean, how can you not? He's loyal, thoughtful. Compassionate. He wears aggressively green polos and "boat shoes." Then there's his passion for Glendower and his car. And oh, his CAR. (PS—there's a line in THE DREAM THIEVES that made my heart kick up ten notches—it's about his beloved Pig—you'll see). And when I reread THE RAVEN BOYS, I was still completely enamored with Gansey. But my reread also taught me
I have a bigger crush on Adam
And I don't know that it's because I have a Gansey need to take care of him. Or because I feel bad for all the crap he goes through. I just think it's HIM.THE DREAM THIEVES confirmed my crush. I'm not going to lie—it hurt me to realize this. I ranked Gansey up there with Heath Luck and Peeta, but when my heart fluttered and fractured in moments they probably shouldn't have, I knew by the end of THE DREAM THIEVES that
I have an indelible crush on Adam
And I won't say anything else for fear of spoiling the series for you. But if you have read the books, you'll know how my heart's faring right now. Gosh—and now I have to wait A WHOLE NOTHER YEAR for the next book. I don't think my heart can take the wait!Also, you will notice I am not telling you much of anything about either one of these books (other than my silly little book crushes J) and that's because I don't want to spoil them for you if you haven't read them yet. But I will say just a few things…
1) I LOVE how much a presence Ronan has in THE DREAM THIEVES. I love this boy. LOVE him. And while I have major book crushes on Adam and Gansey, there are some things teen Alison would like to do to this boy that I will not say here. Also, Noah. NOAH. There was a moment in the story where I legit clapped for this guy.
Clearly, I love all the Raven Boys. Even Kavinski sent my heartbeat askew.
2) I can't mention THE DREAM THIEVES without mentioning The Gray Man. And the Greywaren (what an AWESOME concept). And the puzzle box. And the incredible psychics (even Orla. And how I love Calla!) and non-psychic at 300 Fox Way. And how all their stories tie together. And Cabeswater.
Notice, I'm just mentioning these things. You'll have to read the book to see why I love them all SO MUCH.
3) A little while back I read this amazing story called SECOND CHANCE SUMMER. I rated it 20 out of 5 stars and deemed it my best read of the year. I pretty much knew THE DREAM THIEVES would usurp that title, but OHMYGOSH how much! Guys, this story is just . . . just read it. I just can't even describe it's incredibleness without spoiling it for you. (I know that sounds incredibly lazy, but it's true)
And that wraps up my
book review gush.
How about YOU? What are you reading this week?What I'm Writing:
Um . . . my grocery list?
Since I finished draft one of the blob last week, I'm on a self-mandated break from it until next Tuesday. I guess I could be writing other things—short stories, flash fiction. But instead I pulled out my baby. That first project (well, in my case second. The first was a fanfiction and that's all I'll say about that J) that is full of not so great writing yet has characters and a story that will forever take up an enormous space in my heart. I'm sure you have one too. Anyway, after having it tug at my thoughts for too long this summer, I decided to take a look-see. It's been a good couple years since I looked at it. Here's what I discovered
1) The writing's not that horrible
2) The story's kind of awesome. And I'm falling in love with my characters all over again.
3) It still makes me laugh. It still makes me swoon. It still makes my heart sing.
think I might
I'm revising it.
I don't know when (I'm definitely working on the most recent project first) and I don't know how long it will take me (there are some serious issues I need to address and a possible POV and tense change in its future), but I just can't let this one go.
What are you writing this week?!
What Inspires Me Right Now:
Maggie Stiefvater. She crafts amazing stories and develops incredibly layered characters that I can't help but fall in love with and root for and her writing is so incredibly exquisite and beautiful yet so haunting and so incredibly full of voice. I aspire for even just an ounce of her talent.
Again, if you haven't read THE RAVEN BOYS, I cannot cannot CANNOT emphasize enough WHAT YOU ARE MISSING.What Else I've Been Up To:
One of my former students asked me to teach her a tap dance and well, I just told her that sounded too awesome and fun to pass up. And it IS fun! I'm choreographing her a dance to "I Can Do That" from A Chorus Line. We just started, but I'm already having so much fun creating and tapping and *sigh.* I really miss dancing.Also, I'm celebrating Banned Books Week—with a giveaway (Amazon gift card toward your favorite banned book). Click here to participate!
Finally, I received this last weekend
My birthday book haul. J It's a little research; a LOT of pleasure. My next couple of weeks are going to be filled with some pretty amazing stories.What's up on YOUR Wednesday?!