Wednesday, October 2, 2013

What's Up Wednesday (20)

Before I begin, I have a special and exciting announcement!

For the past two years, Jessica Love, Tracey Neithercott, Katy Upperman, and I have hosted The YA Superlatives Blogfest, a fun and interactive way to highlight our favorite YA novels, covers, characters, and story elements. We have such a great time hosting and highlighting books and hopping from blog to blog to find out how others awarded their superlatives so OF COURSE we're hosting again! ;)

There will be lots more information regarding the The Class of 2013: YA Superlatives Blogfest in the coming weeks (we can tell you that it'll take place the third week of December), but we wanted to give you a heads up now, so you have plenty of time to beef up your books-published-in-2013 reading list (there's a comprehensive catalog of titles HERE). And I encourage you to revisit some of our 2012 posts (here, here, and here. Also, here.) to refresh your memory on the superlative categories we included last year.

Sounds like fun, right?! I hope you'll join us for The Class of 2013: YA Superlatives Blogfest!

And now for What's Up Wednesday!


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. J

What I'm Reading:

I read these two




FREAKY FRIDAY was disappointing. I mean, I know it was written in the early seventies, but after seeing the movie countless times, the book was just a let-down.

But then, I read FANGIRL and OHMYGOSH. Rainbow Rowell is a writing GENIUS. She's a master at dialogue and awesomely layered characters and fully-developed plot lines and EVERYTHING. If you've ever read or written fanfiction—heck, if you've ever written ANYTHING or have obsessed over a series or heck, if you're a human being, you need to READ THIS BOOK. So, SO good. One of the best books I read this year (and if you've read my blog posts, you know I've read a lot of amazing books)

 How about YOU? What are you reading this week?

What I'm Writing:

I was supposed to start revising/working on the blob/WiP yesterday. Well, I can't wait to start ANYTHING on a Tuesday, so I started Monday. J 

Mostly, I'm doing research. And writing lots of back story. My character's Who's Who descriptions are way longer than the five sentences you may see in a playbill. Anyway, I thought I might be able to complete research/back story in a week. Ha. It will definitely take a few, BUT I do think I'll have enough done by Monday to re-outline and revise the beginning pages. We'll see. J Nevertheless, I AM working on it. And THAT's exciting!

Also, I think I'm pretty sure I have a working title. And by working I mean it works for now. J It's something that's been gnawing at my brain for a while and it's not the most catchy title, but ohmygosh it works for this story. So…WHEW. I don't have to name my docs BLOB this or BLOB that anymore. J

Oh, and I'm like, the world's biggest tease, right? I'm not going to share said title here, but I will tell you that my title is also the title of a Grease song. Have fun with that. J

What are you writing this week?!

What Inspires Me Right Now:

My story. I've had a crazy roller coaster summer of requests and rejections and lately it's been more of the latter and while that in itself can be frustrating and incredibly disheartening, I'm so glad I have another story to focus on. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is, once you've finished and are querying one project, to work on something else.

What Else I've Been Up To:

Another weekend with six soccer games and this time my nine-year-old scored a goal! My children do not score goals often. Virtually never. So, YAY!!!!!

What's up on YOUR Wednesday?!


37 comments:

  1. I'm excited to hear the name of your WIP! Although I will miss hearing about the Blob. :) Good luck with your research and re-outlining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will sort of miss the blob too - although, I am relieved to at least have some sort of title. And thanks! Such an exciting part.

      Delete
  2. I agree 100% with you Allison about querying, requests, rejections, and working on another book in the interim. It is such a roller coaster, but the other project helps with the nausea.

    I NEED to read FANGIRL and ELEANOR AND PARK. Alas, those were not for sale at ATBF, so I still need to get them. I will get them and someday I will read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to! Those books are both so AMAZING!

      And yes to new projects. I am so glad I always have one on the backburner waiting its turn. :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on finding a working title! A lot of my older manuscripts have really bad working titles, and I'm going to have to sit down and come up with better titles for them one of these days (as well as potentially combining some of the books, as they're really, really, really short by my standards).

    I also agree about working on something else once you're done with one project. It helps to give you some distance, and lets you focus your creative energies elsewhere instead of staying with the same characters for too long at a stretch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first manuscript has a horrible title and when I go to work on that again, that will be the first thing to go!

      And yes to the distance. And to something else to focus on. I need all of the above!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to get my hands on Fangirl. I LOVE her other two books and I'm IMpatiently waiting for this one.
    I totally agree about working on something else while querying. It really helps to lose the sting on rejections when you're excited about something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excited is a good word - that's exactly how I feel about this new one! And you must get your hands on FANGIRL!!! So awesome!

      Delete
  5. Definitely agree that working on something else takes the stress off of the waiting. And I'm super excited for the superlative blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's so fun to highlight favorite books and characters. Can't wait!

      Delete
  6. You are so right about working on something else while you're querying. It will never be easy to receive rejections, but the fact that you have something in front of you with possibility softens the blow a bit. You've just reminded me how much I need to get my hands on FANGIRL. I'm not sure how much reading time I will have this month what with packing and moving, but I will have to work that one in soon. Yay for coming up with a title! Here's hoping that the BLOB's revisions go well. Have a great week, Alison! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaime! And good luck with the move!

      Delete
  7. Chiming in to say that YES. Writing something else is the best way to get through querying ups and downs. Always have something cooking.

    YA Superlatives looks really fun! I'm only just hearing about it today and am SO interested in participating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You MUST participate! (Okay, you totally don't have to, but we would love to have you!) It's so fun and a great way to highlight all our book loves in 2013. So glad you're on board!

      Delete
  8. Yeah, distractions are a great way to survive the querying process :D Have fun with planning and writing your new book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The writing part is about two-thirds done - there are some scenes I already know I need to fill in, but it's exciting!

      Have a great week!

      Delete
  9. Good luck with your research and back story, and congratulations on coming up with a working title! Titles are one of the hardest parts for me, it takes me ages to come up with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny. ALL my projects on the backburner have titles. And good ones too. But not this one. Well, until now! And thank you! I love research!

      Delete
  10. Hope all goes well with the querying process. It's definitely good to keep busy and distract yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes - definitely need the distractions!

      Delete
  11. Ooohhh, okay, without knowing ANYTHING about your wip, my guess is either: Summer Nights, Hopelessly Devoted To You, or You're The One That I Want.
    I'm pretty sure (again, without knowing anything about your wip) that it's NOT: Beauty School Dropout, Grease Lightening, Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee, Born To Hand Jive (though I'd read that ;) or Freddy My Love.
    All the rest off that album (the ones I didn't mention) feel possible, but, I'm guessing the it's one of my 3 picks.

    Also, titles are SO HARD. (TWSS). Seriously, they're the hardest part for me. There's a lot of pressure on a title, you know? That said, I kinda love 'BLOB'. :)

    Yay for soccer goals, and yay for always writing the next book. <3

    Have a lovely week, Alison. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blob had grown on me, BUT I don't think I can use that when I go to query, yanno?! ;) Also, you are correct on your "nots" and incorrect on your top three guesses. So... I'm terrible. That was so evil of me so I think I'm just going to have to reveal next Wednesday. Bad Alison.

      Also, titles are hard. Especially when they don't pop right out at you (like I've had happen with so many other projects)

      Have a great week!

      Delete
  12. After reading ELEANOR & PARK and loving it, I need to check out FANGIRL some time. Rainbow Rowell is one of those authors that makes writing look easy when it really isn't.

    That's great news that you may have a title for your ms! It's been a very long time since I last watched Grease, so I have no idea what it could be. Now I'm intrigued. Doesn't research always take longer than you think it will? The need for it seems to pop up when you least expect it too. Hope that goes well for you!

    And congratulations to your son on scoring a goal! Give him a big high five for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainbow Rowell is one of those people who make writing NOT look like writing. Which is exactly how it should be. She's amazing. And yes! READ FANGIRL!!! So awesome!

      I researched A TON while writing the first draft and left myself a ton of notes about what I needed to look at further. It does take a while, but I'm just focusing on that this week. It's kind of fun!

      And will do! He was so excited!

      Delete
  13. Obviously I had to look up the GREASE soundtrack and I *totally* think I know what your title is... If I'm correct, I LOVE it and agree that it's perfect. Email me! Also, FANGIRL... Yes. I loved that book so very much. Definitely a 2013 favorite. Best of luck with your revisions, friend, and send that sucker my way soon! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Now Alison is curious as to what you think it is. Guessing games...aren't they fun?! Yes, I shall definitely email you. And hopefully I will be able to send you pages in a few weeks!

      Delete
  14. Yay for more soccer goals!!!

    Whoa, I somehow missed that FREAKY FRIDAY was a book. I've seen the movie (both versions) several times.

    Hmmm...there are several Grease songs that I could picture as titles - can't wait to hear which one is yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to read it for awhile - for research mainly. Man, I'm just glad I didn't spend a whole lot of money on it.

      And I think I'll have to reveal next Wednesday. Alison is such a tease. :)

      Delete
  15. I've heard great things about Fangirl, but as someone who was never into reading or writing fanfiction, I'm not sure if I would like it. Though if I have to start with New Adult, I should probably start there.

    The Blob was such an awesome anonymous/untitled title! I'm sad to see it go -- and curious about what the new working title is... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are a writer, you need to read FANGIRL. It is just SO TRUE about everything we are and what our worlds mean to us and there are so many lines I say myself and hear other writers say - gosh - it was just SO GOOD.

      And I have a feeling I will still refer to the WiP as a blob. That is, until it gets less blobby!

      Delete
  16. I'm so curious to know what you came up with for the title of your WIP. I can't wait to read Fangirl it's on top of my TBR pile. I have a problem with too much research. I feel like I have to know everything that sometimes I forget to that I need to write the story. Oh and that I can make stuff up. Good luck with your outlining/revising. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a terrible tease, right? I get overwhelmingly protective of certain things, but I think I'm okay to share this one...maybe next week. :)

      Also, Stephen King has the best philosophy on research. On first draft, if he's not quite sure about something, he makes it up. Then he goes back and fixes after doing research. I helps the first draft momentum to go forward instead of die out. I felt like he wrote me a big permission slip to do the same because man, can I get stuck in research mode for DAYS.

      Delete
  17. So now I'm dying to know what the Blob will be called. (Although I am sad that the epithet is being retired.) :)

    And I can't agree with you more. Having a another project to work on while querying might just be the only way to stay sane. (Provided you were sane to start out with. Highly questionable in my case.) :)

    Hope you have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kris! I have a feeling I'll still be referring to the WiP as the blob...until it's less blobby. :)

      Delete
  18. Brr? How did I miss this YA Superlatives Blogfest the last couple years? Yikes! *marking calendar*

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so glad you have a writing project that's inspiring you and keeping you happy. Although I haven't entered into the gauntlet of querying, I can imagine how difficult it would be to not let those rejections get to you. Major congrats on finding a title, even if it's just a working title! (And yes, now I'm going through Grease songs ... thanks for that.) :)

    Have a great week, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh man, now I'm going through the songs from Grease one by one, trying to guess! (It's occurring to me that that could be a great writing exercise--take a list of song titles and write the first page of a novel that would match each one!) Excited that you're still working on that project!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!