Wednesday, October 30, 2013

What's Up Wednesday (22): ReviseMo Edition

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. J
What I'm Reading:

I read WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE (Trish Doller) which was beyond amazing. Here's the good reads blurb
Stolen as a child from her large and loving family, and on the run with her mom for more than ten years, Callie has only the barest idea of what normal life might be like. She's never had a home, never gone to school, and has gotten most of her meals from laundromat vending machines. Her dreams are haunted by memories she’d like to forget completely. But when Callie’s mom is finally arrested for kidnapping her, and Callie’s real dad whisks her back to what would have been her life, in a small town in Florida, Callie must find a way to leave the past behind. She must learn to be part of a family. And she must believe that love--even with someone who seems an improbable choice--is more than just a possibility.

Trish Doller writes incredibly real teens, and this searing story of love, betrayal, and how not to lose your mind will resonate with readers who want their stories gritty and utterly true.

Um, yes…THAT.
It's so good, guys. SO GOOD. Like, go get this book NOW.

My reading slows a little during revisions, but I have these on the bedside table.
 
 
must re-read BEFORE I start...



 Thoughts on what I should read next?

How about YOU? What are you reading this week?

What I'm Writing:
Revisions are SLOW. I'd blame it on my yard sale last weekend (had to get ready for that!) and the way too imminent Halloween (still need to finish the son's costume(s)!), but reality: the first fifty are kicking my writerly butt. It's just me, people. I am TOO NEUROTIC about detail. Which, I guess, is a good thing, but still.  

Anyhoo—I'm a teensy bit sad/jealous/blah about not doing NaNo AGAIN this year, but it's okay. a) Despite my back story blues, I so, so love this story and really want to focus on it, and b) I have a revision plan in place I'm calling my own personal NaNoReviseMo.

Nothing too stressful. Nothing too crazy. Just a way to hold myself accountable and get you to help me to do that. I plan to revise eight pages a day, five days a week. Doable, right? I have an overall goal of getting past my midpoint (and really, hopefully to my Black Moment) by the end of November.

I'll post my daily goals on Twitter and Instagram (hashtag NaNoReviseMo) and detail what are hopefully successes each Wednesday with WUW. My awesome friend Katy Upperman's joining me on this revising endeavor, and if you're not doing NaNo because you're crazy revising, I invite you to join us! You can set your own daily goals (1000 words, a chapter, eight pages like me…whatever!). It will be awesome fun and hopefully we'll all get oodles accomplished!

I'll start Monday November 4 and re-blog about this ReviseMo idea. Are you revising this month instead of drafting?
 
What are you writing this week?!

What Inspires Me Right Now:
Soooo, I know this is going to sound all kinds of self-centered and conceited, but my current inspiration is my story. While procrastinating revisions (so bad), I read ahead and stumbled across a line that had me LOLing for a good ten seconds. Guys, I am not a funny person. But sometimes my characters are. And they make me smile.
What Else I've Been Up To:
Soccer playoffs (the husband's team won last night—onto round two!), driver's ed classes started for the fourteen year old (I'm so old), and oh—had a yard sale in which I sold (and got rid of) lots of Barbies. Oh, and my student that won her pageant brought me these flowers. 

 
It's been a good week.
We're also finishing up our pumpkin decorating. Here's one of them. 



My husband carved it. He's the best. J
Hope you've been having a lovely week! What's up on YOUR Wednesday?! Oh, and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

42 comments:

  1. That book looks great! I'm currently reading Allegiant, yay! I kind of don't want it to end, though.
    Good luck with your revisions! I'm carving a pumpkin today for the first time, should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkin carving is fun! (says the girl who let's her hubby do all the work - lol)

      And yay for ALLEGIANT! I can't wait to read my copy!

      Delete
  2. NoNaNo sadness over on my blog today, too, but... sign me up for your NaNoReviseMo! That's my plan for November, too, so I will definitely join you and Katy in this endeavor. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your NaNo sadness, BUT selfish Alison is glad you'll be joining US instead. :)

      Happy Halloween!

      Delete
  3. Where the Stars Still Shine sounds amazing. TBR.

    I hear you on the struggle to get through revisions. Between ALL the family birthdays in October, being in charge of a Trunk or Treat, the prep for my book release & blog tour, and the struggle to still home school the kids... Well, I'll be one happy puppy when tomorrow is over with. My WIP has seen a total of 100 pages revised...the last two months. Eek!

    Hey, one the upside, my time-stopper is being repaired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. October is CRAZY, isn't it? I'm really glad it's almost November!

      Oh, and 100 pages in 2 months sounds pretty awesome to me. Good luck with the revisions!

      Delete
  4. Good luck with NaNoRevMo! I've done that in the past, and the November writing energy has been wonderful in terms of getting me through revisions. I'm writing this November, but doing NaNo only unofficially because I've already started the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the NaNo focused energy will help me stay focused. Plus, I'm a goal setter. And like when I feel I have other people to stay accountable to - other than myself. :)

      Good luck with NaNo!

      Delete
  5. Good luck with NaNoRevMo! I am a serious procrastinator with revisions too, so I feel your pain. Having goals to make daily and being accountable to the twitterverse sounds like a good plan though.

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And that's what I'm hoping for - ACCOUNTABILITY. :)

      Delete
  6. I'll have to put that book on my TBR.
    Good luck with your revisions. I'm trying NaNo for my first time ever because it's never been a good time for me before. I'm super stressed about it though- who can write a book in a month?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NaNo never seems to be a good time for me, but it's fine. I'm still working and writing so that's what counts. Good luck with NaNo! I wish you all the words!

      Delete
  7. I'm not doing NaNo this year and I'm sad too :(
    I'm glad your story inspires you so much! That's really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juliana! And you should totally do RevMo with us. The twitterverse is a great way to stay accountable to those revisions!

      Delete
  8. I love the NaNoReviseMo idea, and support you guys in the endeavor. I am drafting, so not revising, but yay for a motivator and accountability.

    I don't think it's self-centered to be inspired by your own story, that is a very good thing, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebekah! And I will cheer you on in your drafting! So glad we've been able to have some writing parties!

      Delete
  9. Good luck with your revisions! I'm still with my WIP and have slowed down my writing pace a bit to focus on schoolwork. Hopefully it'll be done within 6 months and I can move onto revising something that's WAY shorter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And good luck with your WiP! It's always fun to balance writing with everything else, isn't it?! But so, so worth it. :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      So glad, Jennifer! I'm super excited about it! Maybe one of these nights I can join you for a writing party. :)

      Delete
  11. I'm sort of doing NaNo, but only because I have a draft to finish! It looks like you have a great revision plan in mind and it's always a good thing when your own story inspires you! Best of luck with NaNoRevMo! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I half-did NaNo last year - wrote 17K of the current story, but that was all I could do with everything that's going on in November. And yes - very excited about RevMo. :) Good luck with finishing your WiP!

      Delete
  12. Yay for #NaNoReviseMo! I'm so glad we're doing this... The camaraderie helps me so much! I *knew* you would adore WtSSS. I'm currently reading HOW TO LOVE, and I'm loving it in all the same ways I love WtSSS. I definitely think it's an Alison Book. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Halloween, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, well, clearly I must read this HOW TO LOVE. Putting it on my Christmas list!

      And yay! So glad you're doing RevMo with me and that we are at similar places and can cheer each other on! Monday, here we come!

      Delete
  13. I have Trish Dollar on my To Read list...so many books to get to! Though I just put down two different books this week that I don't want to invest time in after going through about 25 pages each. The list of books with high recommendations are motivating enough to set aside the ones that aren't my thing.

    I miss pumpkin carving--I keep thinking I will do it one of these years but I never do. Though, I eat lots of squash in the fall and cook and eat pumpkin pie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the SAME WAY. Too many good books out there! And I've done that with a few books - put them down 20 to 50 pages in. I used to feel bad about that, but there are so many other good ones waiting! And reading should be a pleasurable thing, right?!

      Delete
  14. I'm so sad about not doing NaNo again either. But yay for revisions :)

    That jack-o-lantern is the best haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that pumpkin. Seeing it as I walk in my door every day makes me smile. :)

      And yes - I'm actually really psyched about doing revisions.

      Delete
  15. Happy Halloween! I love the pumpkin!

    I'm currently re-writing the story I wrote in the summer. So I'll definitely join in with NaNoReviseMo!

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And so glad you're joining us, Alexa!

      Delete
  16. I've been planning to ride the wave of NaNo energy and revise in November too! It's sort of more of a rewrite preparation project/putting things back together, but...can I join???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! We have so much fun with revising parties on Twitter. You are absolutely welcome to join in!

      Delete
  17. I'm doing NaNoWriMo this year. I'm excited. I haven't read the Divergent series yet. I know shocker! But I was at Target on Sunday and they had a special deal with all three books in hardback for $39 so I'm thinking about going to buy that. I really want to read the first book before the movie comes out next year. And with all these great books coming out I think I'll have time to read it. I love Lord of the Flies. My WIP for NaNo takes inspiration from that. Good luck with revisions during NaNoReviseMo! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these years, I will do NaNo, but it never seems to work out. But it's okay. And I will be cheering you on in your drafting! Good luck!

      And a future WiP of mine is LORD OF THE FLIES inspired - total pleasure AND research read!

      Delete
  18. I'm doing NaNo because I have a first draft to finish, but good luck with NaNoReviseMo! I can't wait to get to the point where I'm ready to revise my WIP, because that's the part I really have fun with. (I hate drafting with a passion. Which is another reason to do NaNo, so I can get it over with already!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with finishing that draft! And while I actually do enjoy drafting, I am more of a revision fan. Have fun!

      Delete
  19. I hope all goes well with you revision. I wasn't planning on doing Nano this year but decided maybe a push was in order so went for it. My son and I have been doing some pumpkin carving of our own this morning. He wanted a spiderman pumpkin. I am hoping it looks okay once the candle is in but we will have to see as I haven't tried it yet. Hope you have a lovely week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had the same approach last year - wasn't sure if I would do it, but then I just jumped in and wrote 17K. Not 50, but it was something. Good luck!

      Delete
  20. Good luck with your revising goals in November!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wasn't dying to read ALLEGIANT at first, but with all the reactions and stuff floating around, now I really must know! Unfortunately, I have so many other books I must read first (library). Ah!

    I'll be cheering you on with your revisions and am grateful for your virtual NaNo cheers! November is going to be a busy month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS going to be a busy month, but a good busy! I wish you all the words!

      Delete

Yay! I LOVE comments!