Wednesday, November 6, 2013

What's Up Wednesday (23): The Revising Over Reading Edition


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. J

What I'm Reading:
Um . . . my story?

Since last week, I've read two chapters of LORD OF THE FLIES and two pages of THE LIST.  Clearly I suck. Clearly, I've not been reading a lot. Clearly I need to fix this.
In my defense, I've been revising. And this month, if I have to choose between  revising and reading, I'm choosing the former.

How about YOU? What are you reading this week?
What I'm Writing:

I FINALLY finished revising a very challenging chapter last week. Actually I wrote two versions of it. And then I fixed another  chapter that finished off the catalyst scenes, and this had me at a great place to start my NaNoRevMo. Don't know what that is? I blogged about my personal RevMo for November (since I'm not doing NaNoWriMo) here. If you're revising this month, check it out!

As for RevMo progress, I'm trying to do 8 pages a day. Monday I edited (like, I might be happy with these pages edited) 13 pages. Yesterday I got through 13 pages, but I still have a scene to add in and some definite tightening to do. BUT, I'm thinking if I can get through 10 pages a day versus 8, I can use Friday for clean-up and polish. We'll see if I can keep up the pace.  

Anyhoo, here's a not-so-smallish excerpt of what I worked on this past week It's a scene between my girl Alexandra and her crush of the century. Enjoy! 

I hum "Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee" on my way to study hall, take out my notebooks as I whistle "Beauty School Dropout," and even though it’s not a song in the original stage version (the one we'll be performing), I quietly sing "You’re the One That I Want" while waiting for Michael Titan to do geometry problems.
            “You’ve got a really pretty voice." Michael's propped on an elbow, staring at me.
 My face heats up and I redirect to his homework. “Thank you.”
            “The cast list goes up today, right?” he asks. I nod. “Cassidy said you guys are up for the same part.”
              My smile deflates. Any mention of Cassidy is heart-breaking. And while I don’t enjoy thinking about them kissing and, well, other things, the fact that they actually talk to each other? That’s more disappointing than the thought of them hooking up in in-school suspension.
            “We are.” I want to say more—that his girlfriend’s rendition of "It’s Raining on Prom Night" was pitchy, that she had too much shake in her "Shake, Rattle, and Roll." That she tripped me during our dance tryout (true story—Darla's video confirmed it). But I don’t. That’s his girlfriend. He’ll just defend her.
“Cool.” He bites into the cap of his pencil—so adorable. “Cassidy’s pretty sure you got the part. She was so pissed after, what're they called, call-ups? Call—”
“Callbacks.” My heart sings an anthem. Even Cassidy thinks I got the lead! “Cassidy did really well,” I lie. Now's the time to play the humble part, make her sound good (when she is clearly evil—sore ankle as evidence, thank you very much), and let Michael see all of my wonderful qualities. “She sings beautifully." Sometimes. "And she nailed the dance audition." Of course she did. She tripped me.
            Michael’s blue eyes sparkle. The specks of gold in them shimmer. He’s still propped up on that elbow, staring at me, waiting for me to finish looking over the few problems of his Geometry homework. “Well, just between you and me, I hope you get the big part.” 

Are you revising this month? Drafting? Let me know in the comments. I want to cheer you on!  

What Inspires Me Right Now:
1) My daughter and my husband. I think I may have mentioned this, but my daughter is not really crazy about my story's characters. When I brainstormed with her a bit on my troubling chapter six, I also told her she didn't have to read any more of my story. She was a little hurt and replied, "Well, of course I want to read your story. You're my mom."
Cue heart melting.
And then I shared same brainstorming issues with the husband. He was patient (I take FOREVER to tell a story—ahem, HUGE word counts) and supportive and full of awesome advice and good ideas. And made me feel like this crazy idea I was pursuing was well, worth pursuing.
2) The creativity and imagination of my nine-year-old. There is NO END to what this child comes up with. LOVE HIM.
3) The spirit of NaNoWriMo and NaNoRevMo and everyone making word counts and all the encouragement. The Twitter writing/revising parties (one day I will join one at night!). There are a lot of days I'm not so sure I'm cut out for this writing thing. It's encouraging and inspiring when others think the opposite.
What Else I've Been Up To:
Soccer. The husband's team just advanced to the fourth round of the state playoffs (SO PROUD!). I've been tutoring a lot. Oh, and ya know—Halloween.


The nine year old can't just be Darth Vader. Or a werewolf. No, he has to be Wolf Vader.
His creativity is beyond inspiring.

How was your Halloween?! And what's up on YOUR Wednesday?!

39 comments:

  1. Aww I liked that extract, Michael seems nice :)
    Good luck with your revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment from your daughter made me go "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwww":-) So sweet! And yay for supportive families...

    That extract is as always leaving me wanting for more. So. Yep. Anytime you want to send something, you've got my email..

    Hope you have a great day, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, Elodie. And thank you for all the encouragement!

      Delete
  3. Lol! Looks like your son's got a great imagination. That was really sweet of your daughter. How wonderful to have so much support!
    I enjoyed your extract. . .how sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am very blessed to be surrounded by so much support.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your revision progress! I'm doing a less-strict version of NaNo to get my draft finished, and I love the inspirational atmosphere at this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's beyond inspiring. And thanks!

      Delete
  5. Your book sounds awesome. I finished the excerpt and went, "Hey, where's the rest?!"

    Your daughter sounds awesome too :) Mine kept trying to sneak away my ms when I was editing it from my editor's hand-written notes. Cutest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! That made my day!

      And yes - your daughter's attempts to steal your ms IS awesome! Such a great thing!

      Delete
    2. Hey Alison! :) If you still want those ARCs, can you email me your mailing address? lorimlee82(at)gmail.com <3

      Delete
  6. Eight pages a day is pretty darn good! I like your voice in the small sample.

    Wolf Vader? Awesome.

    Best of luck with your revisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes - Wolf Vader was super awesome and creative. :)

      Delete
  7. Great scene. I'm sort of doing musicals in my NaNoWriMo WIP but not Grease- Phantom! Good luck with your revisions.
    Wolf Vader! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that with all the EPONINE. :) And yay for musicals! Writing this WiP has made me incredibly nostalgic for my theatre days.

      Delete
  8. Best of luck with your revisions. It'll be awhile till I'm done with my WIP and able to start revising a much-shorter book as my next project.

    I didn't get any trick-or-treaters to my new apartment complex, though I went to my dearest, oldest friend's Halloween party on the 26th and dressed as a nun (with a fire opal Magen David necklace in lieu of the expected cross). I'm going to use the costume again for Purim this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That costume sounds awesome! And thank you!

      Delete
  9. Wolf Vader - nice!

    Love the snippet and the voice - she's so quietly snarky :)

    Awesome on your revising progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! And I'm hoping for more progress - for all of us!

      Delete
  10. glad revisions are coming along for you. I hope you're enjoying your story as well. It's awesome you can get feedback from you daughter, and that you're husband is willing to help you brainstorm, yay for family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying my story and that's what gets me through the tough revision days. :) Yes! Yay for family!

      Delete
  11. Your kiddos are adorable. I love that your daughter wants to read your work! That excerpt was predictably fantastic... I know I've said this a million times, but I can't wait to read your story in its entirety! Best of luck as you continue to revise. I'm cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for you to read it too. I just hope it doesn't take me three years like the last one did! And thank you for all the encouragement!

      Delete
  12. Love the Darth Vadar costume. The force is with that one — just don't let him be tempted by the dark side! I really enjoyed your snippet. Keep pressing on, digging into those issues and finding the solution. It looks like you have a great start!

    My husband and son are both huge inspirations to me, and it's the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! I spent the morning researching Star Wars quotes so obvs this comment made me LOL. :)

      And thank you for all the encouragement!

      Delete
  13. I love Wolf Vader!!! How cute and imaginative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Call-ups." LOL. Adorable.

    And I'm revising too. :D I think I had the hashtags mixed up--I'll see you guys on twitter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aaaw, your daughter sounds lovely ^_^ And congratulations on making breakthroughs! Hope it's another successful writing week for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! And thanks! I hope you have a great writing week too!

      Delete
  16. I bore my husband to tears with my story conflicts. And he is USELESS to help me BUT there is something about telling it to him and I'm wamo! I'm able to work it out. Crazy how that works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about spewing your thoughts that makes everything SO MUCH CLEARER. I do random spews at my CPs all the time and by the time I finish, I've already figured most everything out on my own. :)

      Delete
  17. I love your excerpt! I love musical theater so your book sounds right up my alley. Good luck with your revisions this week!

    Also, don't feel bad about not reading this week. It's hard when you're so focused on your own project. It's a good thing that you're giving it all of your spare time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My WiP is highly influenced by musical theatre, so yay!

      Delete
  18. Wolf Vader! I love it.
    Michael is so sweet--thanks for sharing that scene!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wolf Vader. Awesome.

    Happy NaNoRevMo! I love the musical elements in your MS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kari! Hope you are having a wonderful writing week as well. :)

      Delete

Yay! I LOVE comments!