Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What's Up Wednesday

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. J
What I'm Reading:
I finished LORD OF THE FLIES and am currently rereading CATCHING FIRE in anticipation for the premiere (OMG) tomorrow night.
What I'm Writing:
I did achieve my goals last week, revising through page 140 (now page 132!), and I feel like those pages are almost polished enough where I could send them out to readers. (Yay!) Currently I'm working on the scenes leading up to the midpoint and have a few holes to fill. I hope to stream edit through to the midpoint by Friday, then fill in the gaps this weekend. *fingers crossed*

How about you? What are you writing this week?! 

What Else I've Been Up To: So, last week I went exclamation point happy over some soccer. My husband's boys team played in the State Championship game Saturday. They were down 4-1 at half, came back to tie it up twice (4-4, then 5-5), and then lost in the final minutes when the other team scored to make things 6-5.
I will say only a few (haha) things about this.
1) The game was seriously heart-fought on both ends. Every single player left it on the field. It was some incredible soccer to watch.
2) While I know this is going to sound like poor loser Coach's wife of me, the officiating was beyond questionable (and why our boys were down 4-1 at half). A sketchy handball at the top of the box led to score number one. Another questionable call  led to the opponent's third score. A few goal kicks (that were clearly goal kicks) were deemed corner kicks for the other team. The boys were justifiably rattled.
It's a shame that in a game this big that the officials had a hand in the score.

I'm sure I sound like the sorest loser ever, and I wouldn't have ranted about it, except this back story is key to What Inspires Me Right Now, so…
3) I HATE watching teenage boys cry. Thirty minutes after the game, they walked past me and they were still sobbing. This was my heart.

 
It's still in recovery.
4) Our fans, the Cardinal Crazies, filled the stands. They're adorably obnoxious, and they have a pretty wicked chant that gets everyone hyped during games:

I believe
(I believe)
I believe that
(I believe that)
I believe that we will win
(I believe that we will win)
When the other team received their championship trophy, they huddled in front of their fans and did the Cardinal Crazy BELIEVE chant. Except they rudely inserted
I believe that we have won
I can handle sore losers. I cannot tolerate poor winners. And I have one thing to say to that
KARMA

Okay, I'm off my rant horse now. Thank you for allowing me to vent. J
What Inspires Me Right Now

1) My husband's boys. Rattled by the (questionable) officiating, down 4-1 at half, they could have easily packed up their tent. A lot of teams might have. But my husband said one thing to them: Win the second half. And hoo boy did they.
They didn't win, but they put up the most incredible fight ever. To overcome adversity and give it EVERYTHING you got? Freaking INSPIRING.
2) My writer friends Katy and Elodie. We send each other progress reports and excerpts just about every day. Katy blogged about it last week (so sweet). Their feedback and encouragement is beyond inspiring. Thank you, ladies!!!
3) Last week as I was drooling over my writer friend SaraBiren's chicken schwarma lunch outing, I casually commented that I was ditching my revisions for the afternoon and watching THE AVENGERS instead. She immediately replied with

 
How can I NOT be inspired by that? (Of course, if Mark Ruffalo said jump…)

What's up on YOUR Wednesday?! 

40 comments:

  1. I really want to watch The Avenger's, but I can't find my copy. Sucks. Love that picture though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watch way too much of THE AVENGERS in our house. Okay, just kidding. One can never watch too much AVENGERS!!! Hope you find your copy soon.

      Delete
  2. I love that Avengers "You should be writing" picture. I need a copy of it to put right above my monitor.

    I'm also trying to reread Catching Fire now, too, for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my new wallpaper. Very inspirational. :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on making your goals this week! And I'm with everyone else, I LOVE that "you should be writing" Avengers pic. Hahah! That's the best. Got to love CP's that keep you on task. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My readers DO keep me on task! And thank you!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait for Catching Fire! And I love that Avengers pic. I should put it on my wall. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the new wallpaper and I LOVE it! Enjoy CATCHING FIRE!

      Delete
  5. LOL. I love the Avengers pic, and the whole chicken schwarma conversation, and the fact that we share the ability to be inspired by pretty boy pics.

    So glad the revision is going well!!! I too need to get my Catching Fire copy down and reread (though I won't have time to get through the whole thing by Thursday night!!!) Have an awesome week, Allison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That schwarma conversation was pretty awesome. :) And you too! Hope the writing's going well!

      Delete
  6. Oh man! I'm heart broken right along with you. That's killer. --Especially when you feel there are jaded calls in the game.

    On a brighter note, my goodness, I totally need to get movie tickets! I watched Sesame Street Mock Special on Hunger Games, and whew! I'm right back in the excitement of it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it were just me feeling the jaded calls, I wouldn't vent. But when a few soccer coaches make remarks about the officiating... it is what it is. But it was an incredible game!

      Also, Hunger Games special? Me want to see Sesame Street.

      Delete
  7. That is despicable that they changed your chant with "we have won." BOO. But good for your team for fighting back so hard. It must have been an incredibly tense game.
    I'm seeing Catching Fire on friday night (!) but this time I decided not to reread the book.
    Love that Avengers pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so proud of them. It was exciting to watch!

      Enjoy CATCHING FIRE!!!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your revision progress! I haven't been able to do as much fictional writing as usual lately, since I've had to focus on schoolwork. Now I have one more paper to do by Monday, along with part of a group project for the same class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you get back to your own story SOON. :)

      Delete
  9. That's such a huge bummer about the soccer team, especially when crummy officiating plays a hand in the loss. And that other team with their poor winner attitudes? Boo.

    I'm happy to hear your revisions are coming along nicely. That Avengers writing reminder is pretty awesome. :-) Have a great week, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaime! And I hope you get to a comfortable place with your unpacking where you can start writing again!

      Delete
  10. I agree--it's bad enough when your team loses, but when bad calls influence that score, that sucks so much. Not only is it dispiriting for the losers, but it's a hollow victory for the winners (though they obviously didn't see it that way). Nevertheless, kudos to your boys for taking it to the opposition in the second half. They may not have won the game, but they clearly proved themselves with such a comeback. :)

    Have a great writing week, Alison! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did. I think that loss said more about my husband's team than a win would have. Okay, just kidding. They deserved to win, but it is what it is.

      Hope your writing is going well, Colin! Have a great week!

      Delete
  11. Sorry the boys lost, but it sounds like they played one hell of a game. Good luck with your writing this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did. I was so proud. :)

      And same to you, Kate! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  12. Aw, sorry about the game. That is a bummer. But congrats on your revision progress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, crying boys... Just reading your description of it makes my heart hurt. Sounds like your husband's team really does have so much to be proud of. Shame on those refs for not calling a better game. It's got to be hard to live with the what-ifs of questionable officiating.

    Way to go on your revision, lady! I cannot wait to be settled in Florida, sitting in my lovely living room and reading your fabulous manuscript. This vision is very much my light at the end of the tunnel these days. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just made my day. I can't wait until your reading my story too. And me, yours. :)

      And yes - the game...it was unfortunate, but I am so proud of my husband and his team.

      Delete
  14. Your boy's soccer game is definitely inspiring and a state title game at that!!! But you're more than right, it's too bad the officials felt the need to bend it their way vs. just letting the boys determine the winner. And I think your venting is completely justified -- a big congrats to those boys for coming back like they did. Congratulations, regardless of who went home with that trophy...they know who it rightfully should've gone to.

    Amazing job on your revisions, too! Best of luck with cranking through more this weekend!

    And CATCHING FIRE. Oh yeah, you can bet I can't wait to see that one this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! And yes - wish the game would've swung the other way, but those boys are so inspiring in their tenacity. A lesson for all of us. :)

      Delete
  15. Congratulations on all the revisions! Hooray for progress :D

    Sounds like the whole football situation would make a pretty good sports book... or one of those inspiring films ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking that too. A story is brewing...maybe one day!

      Delete
  16. Well done on achieving your goals. I really badly want to see catching fire but its been a long time since we did the whole cinema thing so may have to wait till it's out on DVD :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We RARELY go to the movies, but I make exceptions for this one. Hope you get to see it soon!

      Delete
  17. I saw on Instagram about the soccer match, and boo, I'm sorry they lost. It sounds like it was an incredible game though! They did great and should totally be proud. :)

    I can't wait for you to see Catching Fire. I liked the 1st movie, but didn't love it like I wanted. So I wasn't as excited as I should have been for CF (especially since it's my favorite book). Glad to say CF was what I wanted the first movie to be, and I'm super stoked for Mockingjay now. Hope you get to see it soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL! I've seen that picture without the caption, but the caption's great for NaNoWriMo! Good luck with the revision, though it seems weird to hear about somebody working so hard on editing during November.

    Sorry about the bad refereeing. Continuing to play on in the face of unfairness that you can't do anything about is a sign of good character, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was going to reread Catching Fire this week, but haven't gotten around to it yet. If I start now, I could probably get it done before I go see the movie on Friday night...

    Great job with your revision progress!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Argh, why does Blogger eat my comments? Maybe it couldn't handle me swooning over Mark Ruffalo???

    Those boys should be so proud of themselves for playing their hearts out.

    You are kicking butt with edits!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's so awesome that the team put up such a good fight, but my heart breaks for them too. I'm not a sports person by any stretch of the imagination, but I feel like having bad calls by refs be the main reason you lose a game has got to be so much worse than losing because the other team played better. The latter, you can change. The first, you really can't. =/
    I can't wait to see Catching Fire! I think I am going to reread them in January. I have to distance myself from a book to be able to really enjoy the movie. (Yes, I was that fangirl going "That's not how Harry and Jenny got together!")

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG. I love that Avengers pic. Enjoy Catching Fire. I've got my premiere tickets in my hot little hand. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm sorry to hear about your husband's team. :( That's really unfortunate but they sound like a really amazing team!

    Good luck with your revisions this week! Your email exchange with Katy and Elodie sounds awesome, and I love the photo Sara sent you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gutted to hear about the lame officiating and the poor sportsmanship by the other team. ug. but glad your boys can hold their heads high!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!