Thursday, December 19, 2013

Superlative Blog Fest: Best in Show

 
Hard to believe that it’s the last day of the blog fest! Hope you’ve had fun!
  
Today’s topic: BEST IN SHOW
 
I read over 60 books this year, but these are the 2013-published YA books I read: REQUIEM (Lauren Oliver), HYSTERIA (Megan Miranda), THE MADMAN’S DAUGHTER (Megan Shepard), JUST ONE DAY (Gayle Forman), ELEANOR AND PARK (Rainbow Rowell), NOBODY BUT US (Kristen Halbrook), ALL OUR YESTERDAYS (Cristin Terrill), THINGS I CAN’T FORGET (Miranda Kenneally), THE FIFTH WAVE (Rick Yancey), TAKEN (Erin Bowman), 17 & GONE (Nova Ren Suma), FORGIVE ME, LEONARD PEACOCK (Matthew Quick). THE DREAM THIEVES (Maggie Stiefvater), FANGIRL (Rainbow Rowell), SMOKE (Ellen Hopkins), WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE (Trish Doller), REVEALED (PC Cast and Kristin Cast), THE INFINITE MOMENT OF US (Lauren Myracle)
 
Again, I may mention THE DREAM THIEVES. A lot. Again – I apologize for nothing. :)
 
Favorite Cover: THE DREAM THIEVES (Maggie Stiefvater) and FANGIRL (Rainbow Rowell)
 
Cutest Couple: Levi and Cather (FANGIRL, Rainbow Rowell)

Most Likely to Succeed (Or, pick a Printz Winner.): THE DREAM THIEVES (Maggie Stiefvater)

Most Likely to Make You Miss Your Bedtime (Book you just couldn’t put down!) THE DREAM THIEVES (Maggie Stiefvater)

Best Repeat Performance (Your favorite sequel or follow-up.): THE DREAM THIEVES (Maggie Stiefvater)

Favorite Finale or End of Series Novel: REQUIEM (Lauren Oliver)

Romance Most Worthy of an Ice Bath: Wren and Charlie (THE INFINITE MOMENT OF US, Lauren Myracle)

Breakout Novel (Your favorite book by a debut author.) ELEANOR AND PARK (Rainbow Rowell), TAKEN (Erin Bowman), ALL OUR YESTERDAYS (Cristin Terrill), and NOBODY BUT US (Kristin Halbrook)

Best Old-Timer (Your favorite read of the year, BEFORE 2012.): SECOND CHANCE SUMMER (Morgan Matson)

Book Most Likely to Make a Grown Man Cry: FORGIVE ME, LEONARD PEACOCK (Matthew Quick)

Most Pleasant Surprise (Best book you didn’t think you’d like, but totally did.): 17 & GONE (Nova Ren Suma)

Most Creative Use of a Love Triangle: THE DREAM THIEVES (Maggie Stiefvater) and ALL OUR YESTERDAYS (Cristin Terrill)
 
Sleeper Hit (Book you found so awesome you wish it had been hyped more.): WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE (Trish Doller)
 
Favorite Outlier BIRD BY BIRD (Anne Lamott)

Your turn! Pick your own superlative category and post it at the end this day’s list. Blog hoppers will be able to drop by and vote for their pick in the comments of your blog!

Character who deserved the biggest hug: Adam (THE DREAM THIEVES, Maggie Stiefvater) and Leonard Peacock (FORGIVE ME, LEONARD PEACOCK, Matthew Quick)

I hope you all have a WONDERFUL holiday! Thank you so much for participating this week! Oh, and don't forget to add your link below!
 


14 comments:

  1. I also picked SECOND CHANCE SUMMER as my favorite old-timer. Such a great book! I'm glad I finally read it this year.

    Thanks for hosting such a fun blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh nice category. I'd pick Eleanor in Eleanor & Park, I just wanted to give the girl a hug throughout the entire book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like you category, Alison! And I would definitely agree that Adam needs a big hug. I really could have picked SECOND CHANCE SUMMER for my pre-2013 favourite read, but there were just so many good oldies on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your category, Alison! I'm going to go with Sawyer from HOW TO LOVE as my character in need of a big hug. That poor boy... So broken, yet so appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great category!

    I'd give Noah from Dream Thieves a hug...if that would work. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Adam! He was so deserving of a hug. Although I think Blue and all her Raven boys needed hugs during that book. It made me ache. I can't wait for book 2!

    I'm so excited to read Fangirl. I've seen it everywhere on end of year lists.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great picks. I also had THE INFINITE MOMENT OF US as needing a nice ice bath. Those two were very, ahem, active. I think I'd give both Rachel and Isaiah from CRASH INTO YOU a hug. They could use one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha, "Character Who Deserves the Biggest Hug"--YES!

    I keep hearing about Second Chance Summer. Hopefully I'll read it in 2014. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man...it's hard to beat Adam for needing a hug (although Noah gives him a run for his money! Actually...so do all the Raven Boys, which is why I can never quite pick a favorite!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. :) I would want to hug Adam. And Ronan. And Gansey, but for very different and inappropriate reasons. I might try to hug Bea from OCD Love Story if she would let me.

    THE DREAM THIEVES wins all. The End. I too picked Wren and Charlie, they needed an ice bath and often a room, and wow was it all a little too much for me. I am a child.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still haven't read THE DREAM THIEVES, but apparently I need to! I've got a bunch of these marked TBR, and ah, Cath and Levi, I love those two! Hmmm...what character do I think most needs a hug...[SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ ALLEGIANT.] Tobias. I think he could use a hug. [END SPOILER] Thanks for helping put this together, I had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think Hector from The Bitter Kingdom could've used a hug, after all that he went through. And while I haven't read Unravel Me yet, I'm going to assume that Warner will also need a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  13. BIRD BY BIRD FTW! Love that book. :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!