Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Superlative Blog Fest: Elements of Fiction


Having fun? Me too! Today's topic: Elements of Fiction

I read over 60 books this year, but these are the 2013-published YA books I read: REQUIEM (Lauren Oliver), HYSTERIA (Megan Miranda), THE MADMAN’S DAUGHTER (Megan Shepard), JUST ONE DAY (Gayle Forman), ELEANOR AND PARK (Rainbow Rowell), NOBODY BUT US (Kristen Halbrook), ALL OUR YESTERDAYS (Cristin Terrill), THINGS I CAN’T FORGET (Miranda Kenneally), THE FIFTH WAVE (Rick Yancey), TAKEN (Erin Bowman), 17 & GONE (Nova Ren Suma), FORGIVE ME, LEONARD PEACOCK (Matthew Quick). THE DREAM THIEVES (Maggie Stiefvater), FANGIRL (Rainbow Rowell), SMOKE (Ellen Hopkins), WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE (Trish Doller), REVEALED (PC Cast and Kristin Cast), THE INFINITE MOMENT OF US (Lauren Myracle)


Most Envy-Inducing Plot (Or, the plot you wish you’d thought of yourself.) FANGIRL (Rainbow Rowell)

Most Formidable World (Or, the setting you definitely would NOT want to visit.) THE FIFTH WAVE (Rick Yancey)
 
Wanderlust-Inducing (Or, the setting you’d happily travel to.): JUST ONE DAY (Gayle Forman)

Loveliest Prose: THE DREAM THIEVES (Maggie Stiefvater) and REQUIEM (Lauren Oliver)

Most Dynamic Main Character: Gansey (THE DREAM THIEVES, Maggie Stiefvater)

Most Jaw-Dropping Ending: NOBODY BUT US (Kristin Halbrook)

Best Performance in a Supporting Role: Kat (WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE, Trish Doller)

Best Use of Theme: THINGS I CAN’T FORGET (Miranda Keneally) and FANGIRL (Rainbow Rowell)

So, what were your favorites in these categories? Sign up on the linky and tell us all about it!



8 comments:

  1. I'm so with you on Just One Day and The Dream Thieves and Gansey. I haven't read the other books you've mentioned, but I plan to at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose Gansey too, because I am clearly unbalanced in my affection for that character. I love that you picked FANGIRL for envy inducing plot. Yeah, not only because of subject matter, but all that SIMON SNOW text thrown in. I mean, it's just showing off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right on that ending to Nobody But Us! Daaaaang.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely agree that the THE 5TH WAVE has a pretty formidable setting. Eek! No way would I want to visit it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES to NBU--I said the same. :-) I also agree about Kat. I loved that she was a supporting role cousin--I've always grown up close to my cousins so I think that's why? I didn't even consider FANGIRL for this, but you're so right about the envy-enducing plot. That was almost three different stories woven together, two different worlds/genres. Rowell is masterful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny that you picked The 5th Wave as the most formidable setting because I almost did too. The only reason Dualed won out was that in some ways the choices are even more limited. You have to kill or be killed by your twin! But yeah, I wouldn't survive in the world of The 5th Wave!

    JUST ONE DAY makes me want to just hop on a plane with a backpack and go somewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I'd forgotten about the ending of NOBODY BUT US... I loved how courageous and shocking it was. Such a great book. Great choices as usual, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also picked the setting of JUST ONE DAY - I really want to go back to Paris. Good pick for jaw-dropping ending! NOBODY BUT US' ending surprised me too.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!