Monday, December 16, 2013

SUPERLATIVE BLOG FEST: Head of the Class


The Class of 2013: YA Superlatives Blogfest is hosted by Katy Upperman, Tracey Neithercott, Jessica Love, and me, and is a fun and interactive way to highlight and share your favorite YA novels, covers, characters, and story elements. The Class of 2013: YA Superlatives Blogfest will span four days, beginning today and culminating Thursday, December 19th. And…AND if you participate all four days, you could win your choice of a 2013 book!
The rules for participating are simple:

1. Select books/characters that apply to the superlative topics for each day of the blogfest. Feel free to give explanations for your choices. You can go into as much detail as you like!

2. Add a link to your post on Katy's, Jessica’s, Tracey’s or my blog.

3. Take a few moments to hop around and check out the superlatives of other participants each day.

See? Fun AND easy! But wait, there’s more!

Some additional information:

- Unless otherwise indicated by the topic, stick with books published in 2013.

- Of course we want you to participate in all four days of the blogfest, but if you’re only able to commit to a day or two, that’s cool too! (but…BUT if you do participate all four days, you could win a 2013 book of your choosing. Just sayin’)

- Don’t have a book or character to fit a particular topic? No biggie—just skip it!

- For the sake of continuity, focus on YA books only.

- Pretty please keep your posts spoiler free

Today’s topic:
Head of the Class
I read over 60 books this year, but these are the 2013-published YA books I read: REQUIEM (Lauren Oliver), HYSTERIA (Megan Miranda), THE MADMAN’S DAUGHTER (Megan Shepard), JUST ONE DAY (Gayle Forman), ELEANOR AND PARK (Rainbow Rowell), NOBODY BUT US (Kristen Halbrook), ALL OUR YESTERDAYS (Cristin Terrill), THINGS I CAN’T FORGET (Miranda Kenneally), THE FIFTH WAVE (Rick Yancey), TAKEN (Erin Bowman), 17 & GONE (Nova Ren Suma), FORGIVE ME, LEONARD PEACOCK (Matthew Quick). THE DREAM THIEVES (Maggie Stiefvater), FANGIRL (Rainbow Rowell) (technically NA, but I'm including it), SMOKE (Ellen Hopkins), WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE (Trish Doller), REVEALED (PC Cast and Kristin Cast), THE INFINITE MOMENT OF US (Lauren Myracle)

Also, I may or may not mention THE DREAM THIEVES. A lot. I apologize for nothing.

Favorite Dystopian: TAKEN (Erin Bowman) and REQUIEM (Lauren Oliver)
Favorite Science Fiction: THE DREAM THIEVES (Maggie Stiefvater) (it has some science-y elements in it) and ALL OUR YESTERDAYS (Cristin Terrill)
Honorable Mention: THE FIFTH WAVE (Rick Yancey)

Favorite Fantasy: THE DREAM THIEVES (Maggie Stiefvater). The story has some pretty fantastic fantastical elements.

Favorite Contemporary: FANGIRL (Rainbow Rowell), WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE (Trish Doller), and JUST ONE DAY (Gayle Forman)
Favorite Action/Adventure: THE DREAM THIEVES (Maggie Stiefvater) and ALL OUR YESTERDAYS (Cristin Terrill)

Favorite Historical Fiction: ELEANOR AND PARK (Rainbow Rowell)

Favorite Comedy: THE DREAM THIEVES (yes, I know…not technically a comedy, but Ronan makes me laugh)
Favorite Mystery: THE DREAM THIEVES (Maggie Stiefvater)

Favorite Romance: THE INFINITE MOMENT OF US (Lauren Myracle) and FANGIRL (Rainbow Rowell)
Favorite Paranormal: THE DREAM THIEVES (Maggie Stiefvater) and 17 & GONE (Nova Ren Suma)
Favorite Family Drama: WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE (Trish Doller)

Favorite Genre Bender: THE DREAM THIEVES (Maggie Stiefvater)

Add your name to the linky below and join in the fun! Can't wait to see your choices!



13 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for including Taken here, Alison! (And I gotta say -- I love that The Dream Thieves won half your categories. That book was something else, huh?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! I know, Allison, I KNOW! THE DREAM THIEVES was too good. It just can't even be expressed enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ended up putting THE DREAM THIEVES under Genre Bender because it fits under *so* many categories! I put ELEANOR & PARK under Historical Fiction, too, so you and I were clearly thinking along the same lines. ;-) There are a couple on your list I haven't read yet, so I'll have to make sure I do soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I really need to read THE DREAM THIEVES! :) Moving that one way up in my reading queue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still need to read a bunch of these! But YES to FANGIRL and ELEANOR & PARK--I put those in the same categories! Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how much Taken love I'm seeing! And All Our Yesterdays was really good, even if the time travel thing made my brain hurt. So worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I totally forgot about The Infinite Moment of Us--I wanted to read that one. That's why I love this blogfest so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I second Mrs Silverstein's comment. I must read The Infinite Moment of Us before the year is out (although I think last time I checked, it either wasn't published over here or was ridiculously expensive...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how right when I *think* I know where Stiefvater is going and I'm all content with her plot, she flips it. So many amazing things going on in that series!

    I am reading The 5th Wave right now and I am really, really, liking it. Wish I'd started it earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a pity you hated The Dream Thieves so much. I LOVED that book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, I wanted to put The Dream Thieves down for ALL THE THINGS too, but since I also read some other fantastic books this year, I had to hold myself back. Thanks for representing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clearly I need to get on the Maggie Stiefvater train! I haven't read that series but I've heard so many good things. It'll definitely be on my list for 2014!

    Thanks for hosting this blogfest, it's been super fun so far!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!