Monday, March 31, 2014

Boot Camp Update!



It’s time for a YA Buccaneers Boot Camp Check In! Don’t know what that is.  Find out all about it HERE.

Last week’s goals…
1) Draft a new first chapter for the “baby.” 

2) Continue to brainspew SNI thoughts. 

3) Write a What’s Up Wednesday post.
I wrote a What’s Up Wednesday post. I brainspewed a lot of SNI first chapter thoughts into my handy dandy journal. I did not draft a new first chapter for the “baby.”
Two out of three ain’t bad, right?
Actually, I did start a new first chapter for my “baby,” but here’s the deal. My “baby” stars an eclectic bunch of fourteen year olds. I love the story and the writing’s not horrible, but in order to keep this thing YA, I definitely have to up the ages of my characters. And the more I wrote and toyed with that first chapter, the more I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do that. I mean, I kind of love it the way it is. I could go MG, but it’s not an MG story, IMHO. Without being any more vague and confusing, I’ve just decided that for the next month I’m going to tinker with it. If I decide to pursue a revision, I pursue one. But I think this paragraph pretty much shows that my heart’s not completely in that project right now.
It’s in another one. Two, actually. I keep tinkering with my current project THOSE MAGIC CHANGES, rereading and falling in love with it all over again, and the mind’s also veered toward the SNI (I talked a leetle bit about it HERE). With that being said, here are next week’s goals…

Goals for the week of March 31.
1) Write SOMETHING. I may continue to draft a new first chapter of the “baby” or I may draft a first chapter of the SNI. But I want to write something.
2) Continue researching agents.
3) Implement new reader feedback on my current story.
4) Continue to jot notes down for the “baby” and the SNI.
5) Participate in AT LEAST ONE TEAM DEFIANCE Twitter party.
6) Read DON’T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT (Sarah Mylnowski) and a friend’s manuscript.
I’ll report back next Monday and let you know how I did! How was your writing and reading week?!

3 comments:

  1. I've got one of those stories, too. MC's age is young (14), but the story won't work for MG.

    In the meantime, yay for your SNI!

    Good luck with agent research and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're doing great! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe your "baby" story can be upper MG/lower YA? Hopefully it'll become clear after you tinker with it some more.

    Good luck with all of your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!