Wednesday, March 26, 2014

What's Up Wednesday/Boot Camp Update

Since I shared my NEXT BIG THING on Monday (and neglected to do my boot camp update L) and since I haven’t done a What’s Up Wednesday in forever (okay, last November, but still), multi-asking Alison’s doing two posts in one today! Aren’t you lucky? ;)


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. J

WHAT I’M READING: One of my goals with the YA Buccaneers Boot Camp is to read 15 books over three months. Currently I’ve read 5 (all AMAZING) and am finishing up CHARM AND STRANGE (also AMAZING). I’ve just started a friend’s manuscript and it’s awesome! As far as reading goes, I’ve been on a real WIN streak lately. I hope it continues. 

WHAT I’M WRITING:

 
 I’m on Team Defiance for the YA Buccaneers Boot Camp and it’s been AWESOME for productivity. Since I joined up, I’ve written, rewritten (fifty plus times) and polished my query AND my synopsis for my current project THOSE MAGIC CHANGES, brainspewed dialogue, beats, and character descrips for my SNI, and jotted down ideas for and started rewriting/revising my “baby” (the first project I wrote). I met my goals for last week (you can see them HERE) and here are this week’s goals… 

1) Draft a new first chapter for the “baby.” 

2) Continue to brainspew SNI thoughts into new pink journal.  

Just FYI—new story’s POV will be from three males. When I came up with the idea back in 2010, I nicknamed it MEAN BOYS. So, I guess pink is fitting, right? Provided I only write in it on Wednesdays?

Currently the working title is NO JOKE. Which I’m really digging. And I’m beyond excited about this one. I don’t know if I’ll be able to wait until summer to start drafting. J 

3) Write a What’s Up Wednesday post. Oh, wait. I’ve already done that. J

I’ll update my YA Buccaneer Boot Camp progress next Monday on my blog.

WHAT INSPIRES ME: This little green guy. 

 
I think I mentioned before that my December and January were pretty rough on the writing front. My laptop crashed, I lost about two weeks worth of work, and then I received my last few rejections on my previous manuscript. The task of re-doing all my lost edits and finishing revisions while in such a “lost hope” bubble was beyond daunting. But when I finally felt ready to tackle revisions again, that quote kept me going. It  got me through revisions. Through writing my query. And then through writing my synopsis.  
 
The writing process can be overwhelming. I’ve learned to set little goals and just “get her done.” There really is no “trying” to write a book. You either do it or you don’t.

That’s your Yoda wisdom for today. You’re welcome. ;)

WHAT ELSE I’VE BEEN UP TO: Soccer. Lots of soccer. My daughter’s playing on the JV soccer team and my husband coaches the Varsity team and so it’s usually four if not six games during the week. Then, my son usually has two to three games every Saturday. And my husband plays most Sundays. I don’t get to every game, but I try to get to most of them. You’d think I’d be tired of so much soccer, but I really do love watching the game. Good thing, right?! 

Also, my daughter turned fifteen and got her driver’s permit a few weeks ago. My sanity is questionable.  

What’s up on YOUR Wednesday?!

35 comments:

  1. Yoda wisdom's always great. I find that small goals tend to work best; if I set myself a goal that's too big, I'll just keep putting it off and making excuses. Smaller goals are easier to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You took the words right out of my mouth. Big goals are WAY too overwhelming!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Alison. Love Yoda and that quote! I'm sorry you had all that technology trouble. But good for you for gritting your teeth and just fixing it instead of wallowing! Writers are a tough bunch. :)

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading and writing to you too! And yeah - it was tough to motivate myself past that, but I'm glad I did.

      Delete
  3. Cheering you on from Florida as you work on MEAN BOYS. You know how I feel about your teen guy POV/voice, so I fully support this idea of THREE male POVs... Awesome, Alison! Also, yay for Yoda. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I don't know that I can ever go back to writing JUST female POV. Love my boys too much! Thanks, Katy!

      Delete
  4. Wow, you're a writing monster. And I totally agree with Yoda's wisdom. If nothing else, those small goals keep me from feeling over-loaded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small goals definitely help! And thanks! Hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  5. First, can I just say that I am really inspired you pushed past your frustration and lost hope, to keep going. And Yoda, yes, haha. I set daily goals, and try to keep a TO DO list which helps with a sense of accomplishment. Your three map POV idea sounds intriguing, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebekah! I'm a to-do lister person too. Definitely helps me feel accomplished when I can cross bunches off!

      Delete
  6. I've found the YABBootcamp great for productivity, too! Good on you for getting so much done after a discouraging time. Love that Yoda quote! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I wasn't sure I was going to do the boot camp at first because I just finished a big revision, but I'm glad I did!

      Delete
  7. Sorry about the rough writing months, but it's wonderful that you're excited about your SNI! Love the Yoda advice--I'm borrowing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoda has gotten me through some tough times. I used to hate that quote because I'm very much a "try your best" person, but it makes so much sense now! Borrow away!

      Delete
  8. I love the idea of 3-guy POV (hmm...that sounds unintentionally pervy). And heck yes for the pink notebook!

    I can still remember the first time my younger bro drove by himself after he got his license - it was only about a 1/4 mile up the road for an errand and right back, but my mom and I worried the entire time. Of course we played it cool when he got back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's how we are with the 15-year-old! And I almost wrote three-way male POV in my post, but took it out. How pervy am I?!

      Delete
  9. I sympathize with the loss of your hard drive. I learnt a very valuable lesson after a few wonky disk files and system crashes in 1993 and 1994, and so for 20 years have constantly been saving my work, like twice a minute. I also began making smaller files instead of one large file for the whole book, so I'd only lose one chapter or section if the whole thing crashed or were lost. Now I finally have a flash drive, in the shape of a tiger.

    I didn't get my driver's permit till I was 25 and didn't get my car till a month before I turned 27. I learnt from my own experience that not everyone automatically learns to drive at 15-16 and gets a car for a 16th birthday present, contrary to what a lot of movies and TV shows depict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie-Anne! You'd think I would learn, but sadly, this isn't the first time I lost work. I got complacent. Not anymore!

      Delete
  10. Oh my gosh, I can't believe you lost all that work! It just reminds me that I've been a bit slack about backing up lately. I'm glad you were able to work through the frustration. Sounds like you're back on track and kicking butt with this latest story. Oh, and I think your SNI sounds intriguing, especially the three males' POVs! Have a great week, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And I back up now in three places. If it happens again, I'll only have myself and my complacence to blame.

      Delete
  11. That sucks so much about your laptop crashing and losing two weeks worth of work. I'm glad to hear you bounced back from that. Good luck with your bootcamp goals. Sounds like you've got a lot on the go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it did suck. I was really out of it for awhile. But much better now! Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Wahoo for the 15 books in 3 months! I have a yearly goal of 100, so that's approximately 2 a week, which puts me right close to that same speed. I think it's invigorating--but my desk is covered in books. (Not that that's a bad thing, I just have a hard time finding my notes.) I think losing two weeks would kill me. I hope you've been able to recover the files. My techie husband would tell you there are ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100?! Wow! I set a goal for myself one year of 85 and overwhelmed myself. I find a goal of about one a week is more manageable (for me) and if I get extra in, yay!

      Delete
  13. I multitasked two posts in one too! Apparently I can only only cope with one blog post a week. It sounds like you are doing great with Bootcamp! Sounds like those bad months are over :)
    Happy Writing! And happy birthday to your daughter - A drivers permit sounds scarily grown up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to multi-ask again in the next few months. Doing two posts a week is a lot. :)

      And thank you! I HOPE those bad months are behind me!

      Delete
  14. Ouch, you really did have a rough couple of writing months! Lucky Yoda was there to get you through :) I love the sound of your SNI--and that feeling of not being able to wait to start drafting is the best! I hope you crush all of this week's goals, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca! It's fun to have something new and exciting to work on. :)

      Delete
  15. This month I've read three books and I'm getting ready to start my fourth. I haven't read this many books a month since I was an English major. Ha. Good luck with your writing goals this week for Spring Writing Boot Camp. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I love to read, so I have NO problem "forcing" myself to read five (if not 6 or 8) a month. :)

      Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  16. I'm in YA Buccaneer's bootcamp too. It's been great. Yay on reading 5 books :) And i love your Next Big Thing Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! And good luck with your boot camp goals!

      Delete
  17. I'm glad to hear that you've been getting so much done in the YAB bootcamp! It's been really helpful for my productivity, too. I love that Yoda wisdom. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ghenet! He's my laptop wallpaper. Very inspiring when I turn it on. :)

      Good luck this week!

      Delete
  18. Yoda (and you!) speak TRUTH man! There is NO try in writing a book. I had that epiphany last November during YALLfest. I knew if I want to be published, it's up to me and no one else. So yes, there is only doing! And looks like you've been doing a lot! Way to go!
    HAHA, MEAN BOYS and a pink notebook for Wednesdays. I love that movie. I need to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!