Monday, March 17, 2014

YA Buccaneers Boot Camp Update #1



It’s my first YA Buccaneers Boot Camp Check In! Don’t know what that is?  Find out all about it HERE.
Oh, and the Boot Camp includes Accountability Teams. I am TEAM DEFIANCE and we are as awesome as this button the fabulous TraceyNeithercott designed.


 
Last week, I shared my overall goals and my goals for last week. Here’s a recap…
OVERALL GOALS for March, April, and May…
1) Write and revise a query and synopsis for my current story THOSE MAGIC CHANGES
2) Query THOSE MAGIC CHANGES
3) Dust off my “baby” ( a project I wrote five years ago) and start revising it. Again. J
4) Brainstorm and outline ideas for the SNI I’ll start writing with the summer writing program Ready Set Write. Don’t know what that is? Click HERE.
5) Read at least fifteen books.
This Last week’s goals…
1) Draft my query for THOSE MAGIC CHANGES
2) Start drafting my synopsis for TMC
3) Rewrite my query. Repeat a hundred times until I feel it’s not so full of suck and my CPs won’t cringe at it.
4) Consider and implement reader feedback on my current story.
5) Start a revision list for the “baby.”
6) Brainstorm and jot ideas down for summer Ready Set Write SNI.
7) Finish reading WINGER (Andrew Smith) and SHARP OBJECTS (Gillian Flynn)
I drafted my query, then rewrote and tweaked it and, with the help of one of my brilliant CPs, I finally got something I was pretty happy with. And because I'm a glutton for torture, I then wrote a completely different version of my query. So, now I have two queries that I’m somewhat happy with. And Indecisive Alison will have to choose one of them. Why do I do this to myself?
But I have a query. J
I didn’t do much with my synopsis, but that one sentence I wrote is pretty awesome. J
I also implemented reader feedback on my story, started a revision list for my “baby,” and I finished both WINGER and SHARP OBJECTS (both were AMAZING).
But TBH, I spent most of my spare writing time scrawling out ideas for my RSW SNI (Ready Set Write Shiny New Idea). It’s an idea that has been on the back burner for the past three years. Correction—it wasn’t even on the back burner. It was one of those flitting ideas that was still in the fridge. Yet for whatever reason, this idea has leapt to the forefront of my brain and I am LOVING it. I really, REALLY can’t wait to start drafting this story!

Okay, so that’s how I did last week. A short list on the goals for this week. J

Goals for the week of March 17.
1) Polish queries.
2) Draft a synopsis. Someone please shoot me now.
3) Research agents.
4) Implement the rest of my reader feedback on my current story.
5) Continue to jot notes down for the “baby” and the SNI.
6) Read GRASSHOPPER JUNGLE (Andrew Smith) and PROM (Laurie Halse Anderson)
I’ll report back next Monday and let you know how I did! How was your writing and reading week?!
Oh, and this math nerd hopes you had a Happy Pi Day and that you’re having an equally happy St. Patrick’s Day! Enjoy!
 

13 comments:

  1. Oh man. Two queries? And two queries that you are happy with? Can I have some of your writing goddess powers? Also--I have a lot of ideas for my RSWSNI too. :) So I'll be ready for that when it rolls around (I hope). Still working through all these crazy outlines though. Good luck getting ready to query! Had fun tweeting with you this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had fun too! And YAY!!! I'm glad you're getting excited about RSW and you have something to work on! That's so exciting!

      Delete
  2. I've got a synopsis to write, too. I keep working on it "later." One of these days I'll start :)

    Hope you have a magical, productive week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Later" has been my mantra lately. But I at least opened the doc today. :) Hope you have a productive week too!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on writing not one, but two queries! That's always a tough part of the process so it's great you have two to work with. Good luck with your synopsis and the rest of your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The query's tough, but I'm usually okay with that part. Now, the synopsis? Heh.

      And same to you! Good luck with your week!

      Delete
  4. Hey Alison!

    Sound's like you're doing great so far. Good luck on your goals for this week, and congrats on completing those query letters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen! Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  5. YAY! You've got two queries to choose from. That's a win.

    Synopses are the worst. Here is a link to a good guide in writing one: http://www.publishingcrawl.com/2012/04/17/how-to-write-a-1-page-synopsis/

    Good luck with this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I printed that off last week and have been using it for my synopsis. Good stuff!

      Delete
  6. I am like one chapter away from finishing up Grasshopper Jungle this week. Samesies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED Winger so I'm certain I will love this one. Can't wait to read!

      Delete
  7. WHEW! And that's for the query! Go girl!!! Good luck in the trenches for this ms! See you soon on #TeamDefiance!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!