Wednesday, April 23, 2014

What's Up Wednesday: Playlist Edition


 
What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. J 

WHAT I’M READING:  

Last week I finished DARK PLACES (Gillian Flynn) for my IRL book club. I was a huge GONE GIRL hater, but I’ve recently read Flynn’s SHARP OBJECTS and thought both that one and DARK PLACES were amazing. The writing in all three books is incredible; the mystery, brilliant. So, why did I hate GONE GIRL so much and really liked the other two? Because DARK PLACES and SHARP OBJECTS had the thing that’s so incredibly important to me when I’m reading—main characters I want to root for. GONE GIRL, not so much.  

I also finished the next book in the Origami Yoda series (Princess Labelmaker) and, like the four before it, it was a super fun read. Currently I’m reading IGNITE ME by Taherah Mafi (I also finished UNRAVEL ME last week—exceptional) and I’m beta reading Melanie Stanford’s super awesome magical realism story. I am always amazed and awed by my incredibly smart and talented friends. #luckyCP 

WHAT I’M WRITING: I’ve entered a few contests lately and so I’ve spent some time this week tweaking my pitch and my first 250. One version of my query and my first 250 can be found here in the Like a Virgin Contest (which I entered before I entered any other contests—that’s one of the rules J). And this week, I entered EL McKinney’s amazing Pitch Slam. I’m sharing my playlist for that below. J


Oh, and if you get a spare minute, pretty please say some prayers, cross your fingers, send positive vibes for good things to happen from these contests and so forth. Alison would be VERY grateful. J

WHAT INSPIRES ME: Music (yes, I’ve said this in how many WUW posts?!). One of the super cool things about Pitch Slam is that the contest theme is pretty much music. We had to submit a theme song for our story and today we’re sharing our playlists. I’ve kind of billed my story as Freaky Friday meets Grease, the title’s inspired from the Grease song THOSE MAGIC CHANGES, and every chapter title in my story is either a title of a Broadway song or a classic rock song. With 56 chapters and mentions of so many other songs within the story, my novel obviously has a long playlist. But I’ll share 12 chapter titles/playlist music. In fact, I’ll give you the titles and you see if you can match them to the classic rock artist/Broadway show! Enjoy!
 
The songs...

1) Dude (Looks Like a Lady)

2) Let’s Hear it For the Boy

3) T.E.A.M.

4) Welcome to the Jungle

5) Everybody Wants You

6) You Can’t Stop the Beat

7) Sunday Bloody Sunday

8) Good Girls Don’t

9) The Actress Hasn’t Learned the Lines (You’d Like to Hear)

10) (Ya Got) Trouble

11) There Are Worse Things I Could Do

12) Woke Up With Wood

 The Broadway Shows/Classic Rock Artists

a) Hairspray

b) Evita

c) Footloose

d) The Music Man

e) You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown

f) Grease

g) Guns N Roses

h) ZZ Top

i) The Knack

j) Aerosmith

k) U2

l) Billy Squier

 

Want some answers?

1) j. 2) c. 3) e. 4) g. 5) l. 6) a. 7) k. 8) i. 9) b. 10) d. 11) f. 12) h.

How’d you do? 

1-3  you’re Dazed and Confused (Led Zepplin)

4-6  Sit Down You’re Rockin’ the Boat (Guys and Dolls)

7-9  you’re On the Right Track (Pippin)

10-12 you’re a Jukebox Hero (Foreigner)

I actually have a quiz similar to this at the end of my story. Maybe one day you’ll get to see it. *sigh*

WHAT ELSE I’VE BEEN UP TO: We recently had a pretty rainy Spring Break (did get to the beach ONE day—yay!), but the Easter Bunny brought my kids lots of candy and two super cool movies: FROZEN and CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS TWO. I see many movie marathons in my future. 

What’s up on YOUR Wednesday?!

28 comments:

  1. Funny. I LOOOOOOVED Gone Girl and Dark Places but HATED Sharp Objects. Then again I figured out the killer by pg 20 so I was bored for the whole book.

    Love your playlist, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotcha. I was toying between two people the whole way through on that one. :) And thank you! I'm kind of partial to my playlist too.

      Delete
  2. What a cool way to share! Pitch Slam has been so much fun! Here's sending some positive vibes for both of us. If you're interested in exchanging entries before the next round, I'd love another set of eyes. I'm usually much better at helping other people than I am with my own stuff, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I may take you up on that!

      Delete
  3. Well, you just about sealed a place in my heart with that quiz. :) But seriously, good luck in Pitch Slam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with Pitch Slam! I'm taking a break from contests for a bit. There seem to be so many of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot this time of year, aren't there? And thank you!

      Delete
  5. Good luck with the contests! I love your playlist - such great songs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED Gone Girl and Gillian Flynn's other books are in my TBR pile. I can't wait to get to them. I loved how dark Gone Girl was. That was one twisted story.

    Good luck with the contests. Have a great week :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twisted is a good word. :) And thank you!

      Delete
  7. It's funny that you enjoyed DARK PLACES and SHARP OBJECTS and disliked GONE GIRL, because I had the opposite experience with the latter two LOL. ;-) I actually find all of her characters unlikable. That was something I especially disliked about SHARP OBJECTS. I'll have to check out the third one sometime.

    Good luck with the contests, Alison! I'm crossing my fingers for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they are all definitely unlikeable, but there was at least something to sympathize with in DP and SO. I didn't care about either MC in Gone Girl. But that's the great thing about reading (and writing!) - SO subjective!

      And thank you, Jaime!

      Delete
  8. The musical aspect of your WIP is one of my favorite parts... So glad you shared your playlist. :-) SHARP OBJECTS is my favorite of GF's books. So freaking disturbing, but I loved it. Have a wonderful week, friend. (Also, I owe you an email and I promise it's coming!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too. I loved that I could incorporate that love into that story. :) And thank you! Same to you!

      Delete
  9. You Can't Stop the Beat is now officially stuck in my head :)

    I've got my fingers crossed for you with the contests!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I hope that song keeps you bouncing through your day!

      Delete
  10. I LOVE that you named your chapter titles after songs! I've wanted to do that but it never fit any of my WIPS so I'm so glad someone did! I'd read your book based on that alone!!!
    (And thanks for the shout-out!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thanks, Melanie! And you're welcome! Well deserved shout out, IMHO. :)

      Delete
  11. Sit down, I'm rocking the boat. I like a lot of those songs, but was worrible about matching them to their artists. Bad me! Good luck with all your contests and such. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I'd be rocking the boat if this were a country music or classical music quiz! I just happen to be pretty familiar with show tunes.

      Have a great week too!

      Delete
  12. I'm wishing you tons of luck in the contests you entered! I think it's cool that you named each chapter after a song. For one of my WIPs (an NA contemp romance) I wanted to start each chapter with a couple lines from certain 1950s songs, but when I looked into the legal implications I decided it would be too much trouble. Just the titles works well though and a lot less hassle! Have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah - those legal issues. That's WHY I went with song titles because they're not copyrighted. :)

      And thank you! Same to you!

      Delete
  13. I haven't read anything by Gillian Flynn though I have heard amazing thing about all her books. I guess I need a Broadway refresher course. I got "Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat", hahaha! Wishing you all the best in your contests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes - GF is a pretty incredible writer! You should check one out.

      Delete
  14. Ooooooh yeah, I'm a Jukebox Hero! 100% :) Good luck with your contests - sending positive vibes your way! Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would be. ;) Thank you for all the positive vibes!

      Delete

Yay! I LOVE comments!