Wednesday, April 9, 2014

What's Up Wednesday


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. J

WHAT I’M READING: I found this on my shelf last week.
 

I got it for Christmas, was saving it as a reward for finishing my revisions on my most recent story, and then, like a complete idiot, I forgot all about it. It was like finding a twenty dollar bill in an old coat pocket! And the story was SO worth the wait. So, SO good! I also finished beta reading a brilliant science fiction story from an equally brilliant CP of mine. I am always amazed and awed by my incredibly smart and talented friends. #luckyCP

WHAT I’M WRITING: Let’s not go there.  

WHAT INSPIRES ME: My friend Elodie. She’s “making her own magic” and self-pubbing her amazing story ONE, TWO, THREE. She did her cover reveal yesterday and it is GORGEOUS. She’s also doing a giveaway as part of said cover reveal. You should totally check it out. J

WHAT ELSE I’VE BEEN UP TO: Lots of proud mama and proud wife moments. My son was selected for his school’s Math Counts Team and my daughter interviewed and was chosen to be on her school’s yearbook staff for next year. And if that wasn’t enough, every year my husband takes his varsity girls soccer team to a tournament in Wilson called The Brittany. The tournament is all about sportsmanship and educating girls on being safe and being aware of potentially dangerous situations. Anyway, one of the teams dropped out at the last minute and the team they were supposed to play no longer had an opponent. My husband, being the good soccer Samaritan he is, rallied his junior varsity girls and got enough to travel on Saturday so the other team could have someone to play. My daughter was one of those girls. And she scored her first career high school goal in that game. The Cards (my husband’s girls) won all their games. And my husband received the Spirit of the Brittany Award. Great soccer weekend all around. J 

What’s up on YOUR Wednesday?!

30 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like a busy but exciting week. Yay to your entire family! And glad you found that book AND that you're enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yay for your daughter's goal! As a former soccer player myself, this makes me smile. I bet there was pride all around your house. :)

    And I hear you on the losing-books-then-finding-them-and-pretending-it's-Christmas-morning thing. I do that all.the.time. I'm definitely an impulse Kindle buyer, and whenever I turn on my Kindle, it's like a fun surprise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! I was looking on the shelf thinking - what shall I read next? Such a wonderful find!

      Delete
  4. I loved HOW TO LOVE and so happy you did too! Katie's book was so well written I was really seriously surprised it was a debut. :)

    And yes I am so inspired by Elodie too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elodie's awesome, isn't she?! And yes - it was such a good book!

      Delete
  5. YAY for your daughter and for the entire soccer awesomness :-)) (and thank YOU AGAIN SO MUCH with my cover reveal and with everything else, you rock!)
    HOW TO LOVE is such a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm so excited for you, Elodie!

      Delete
  6. Congrats to you and your fam! My older bro was in Math Counts when he was in middle school and later on the academic team and it was fun to loudly (and a bit obnoxiously) cheer for the team at tournaments :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! My daughter was on her math counts team in middle school so when my son's elementary school selected him, she was all over that. Sadly, the competition's are during the day here. I'll go, though!

      Delete
  7. Congrats to your kiddos and your husband on their fantastic accomplishments! And I'm so glad you liked HOW TO LOVE. Seriously one of my favorite reads of last year. Gotta love the troubled bad boy. :-) Have a great week, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually sort of kind of hated Sawyer for most of the book - first time that's ever happened with a bad boy! But I loved Reena. And I grew to love him too. SO GOOD!

      Delete
  8. I love proud parent moments! Makes all the madness worth it :) How To Love is on my list and now I just bumped it up! Good luck the rest of the week with writing, sometimes those 'let's not go there' weeks is necessary for creative minds to regroup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes - you must read How to Love! So good! And yes - many proud moments in this house. I'm a lucky wife and mama!

      Delete
  9. HOW TO LOVE was such a great book! I have a bunch of books on my shelf that I bought a while back but haven't had the chance to read. So I know the feeling of rediscovering a book you didn't realize you had!

    Love your proud mama/wife moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have way too many on the shelf I need to read. So many good books, so little time. *sigh*

      Delete
  10. I haven't read HOW TO LOVE yet, but I've heard only good things about it. I have a lot of books on my shelves that I've sort of forgotten about. I'm trying to tackle some of them this year. That's pretty great about your kids and the awesome stuff going on in their lives. You should definitely be proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Jaime. Me too. I have books from two years ago I still haven't read, and then all these new good ones keep coming out! Such a problem. Seriously. ;)

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a great week for your family. Congratulations to all :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on all those great mama moments! I've heard great things about How To Love, I'll have to add it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melanie! And I think you would love How to Love! So good!

      Delete
  13. Wahoo! for your hubs and daughter (and the rest of the team) for a great soccer weekend. HOW TO LOVE is another on my TBR list. Glad to hear you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How to Love was SO GOOD! And thank you!

      Delete
  14. That's too funny about stashing your book away as a reward and forgetting about it. It's like when you put something in a "safe" place, and it turns out to be so safe you don't even remember where it is lol. Congrats to your family on their awesome achievements lately! I can see why you're a proud mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shouldn't be surprised at the find. I do stuff like that all the time. :) And thank you, Erin! Hope you have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  15. Congrats on all your fun family news! Some weeks are just amazing on the family front, aren't they? It seems like all the stuff happens at once - it gets crazy busy all at once, all the good news comes at once... it's a nice problem to have. :) Have a great weekend, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay family! That's nice :) And I love the cover for How To Love. Its so simple and pretty. I haven't been reading as much lately, but schedule has been crazy!! :)

    http://valialind.blogspot.com/2014/04/book-2-questions-answered.html

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!