Wednesday, May 28, 2014

What's Up Wednesday


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. J 

WHAT I’M READING: 
 
I finished THE SILENT WIFE (A.S.A Harrison) for my IRL book club. In terms of plot, it’s a little cliché, but the pacing must’ve been pretty good since I kind of devoured it in a day and a half ( NOT normal for me). Currently I’m reading THE BEGINNING OF EVERYTHING (Robyn Schneider) which makes me continually wonder why I try to write from a guy’s POV because Schneider does it SO WELL. That, and the story’s pretty awesome so far.  

WHAT I’M WRITING: Last Wednesday I hit 20K with the new story and I’m still kind of riding that high. But I’ve been cleaning up the front end of the story and am still getting to know my characters a bit as I draft and I’m really not in any big hurry. I didn’t think I’d be drafting this story until the summer so any new words right now are always a bonus. 

Speaking of the summer—Jaime Morrow, Erin Funk, Katy Upperman, and yours truly are gearing up for our second annual summer writing intensive Ready. Set. Write! We’re kicking things off next Monday (June 2) and we’re super excited! Plus, we have all the buttons. I mean, ALL THE BUTTONS! If you’re looking to get some serious writing/revising this summer and want someone to hold you accountable, dude—check out the intro post Monday. Or you can click here to see what we did last summer. Twitter parties, weekly check-ins, giveaways. And writing. LOTS OF WRITING.  

WHAT INSPIRES ME: Tru TV. I know—sad, right? But when you’re writing a story where the basic premise is founded on some light-hearted and not so light-hearted pranking, you tune in to shows like World’s Dumbest Pranksters and (Impractical) Jokers. Research can be so entertaining. J

WHAT ELSE I’VE BEEN UP TO: The beach. Cookouts. Sleepovers. End of school craziness. Letting my fifteen year old drive me places. All in the name of fun. J Here’s a pictorial glance at my past few weeks. 

the child turned TEN (WHAT?!?!?!)
 
 
the husband and I celebrated the 20th anniversary of our first date
  

 
putting together campaign candy for the 15 year old's Senator run (she won, btw)
 
celebrating May the Fourth (be with you) with a Star Wars selfie
 
field day!
 oh, and one of my Mother's Day gifts (still wearing it) 
 

What’s up on YOUR Wednesday?!

40 comments:

  1. Hi, Alison! Love that Mother's Day pin. All women need one, hahaha. ;)

    Definitely going to check out Ready. Set. Write. I need to get back on track once we close on our first house and get moved in.

    Keep up the good work with your new story!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! We all need that pin. :) And I hope you get to check out Ready Set Write! We have so much fun!

      Delete
  2. Ready. Set. Write. sounds like exactly what I need! I'm so glad I saw this post! It is so hard to write once the kids are out of school, but other women do it, and I've got to figure it out too! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you'll join us for Ready Set Write! We have so much fun and get so much accomplished!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on hitting 20K! That's a huge chunk of a novel already.

    Ready. Set. Write. sounds like a blast. I'm hoping I'm able to join in. :)

    And I LOVE the Mother's Day button. I think you should wear it year-round. ;)

    Have an amazing week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I hope you'll be able to join us for Ready Set Write! We had a blast last year!

      Delete
  4. I want to read THE BEGINNING OF EVERYTHING. I also love that pin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is really good! I hope you get to read it soon!

      Delete
  5. I've said this a million times and I mean it in all sincerity: Your male voice is freakishly amazing. Right up there with the best pubbed books! Love all the photos this week, and YAY for Ready. Set. Write! Can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blushes* Thank you! And yes for RSW! I'm so excited for it!

      Delete
  6. I need that button!

    As I said to Jaime, I can't wait for Ready. Set. WRITE! I didn't participate last summer but I am just wrapping up the YA Buccaneers Spring Writing Boot Camp and I'm already having withdrawals!

    Congrats on reaching 20K. Woohoo! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so excited to have you! And I think EVERYONE should have that button!

      Delete
  7. Congrats on writing all those words! And also major props for writing a male POV. I don't think I could do it.
    Ready. Set. Write. sounds like something that will kick my butt into gear. Definitely going to participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dabbled in guy POV with my first couple manuscripts (writing a couple chapters from one of the other characters) and I can't go back now. I love it! And so glad you'll be participating in Ready Set Write with us!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on hitting 20K in your manuscript! I'm super excited for Ready. Set. Write! this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And YAY! So glad you'll be joining us!

      Delete
  9. I was just looking at THE BEGINNING OF EVERYTHING on Goodreads, wondering if I should request it from the library. I think I saw that you were reading it. I don't remember the last time I read a book with good boy voice. I might have to check that one out. Have a great week, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely request it. REALLY GOOD. Hope you have a great week too!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on hitting 20k! :D Ride that high ^_^

    Best of luck with this year's Ready. Set. WRITE! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady! And you should join in the Ready Set Write fun!

      Delete
  11. Congrats on hitting 20K! I never miss an opportunity for a writing challenge, so I might just have to sign up for Ready. Set. WRITE! :)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, Emma! Lots of writing and accountability and fun! Have a great week!

      Delete
  12. First of all, love the Star Wars shirt! I have a couple kicking around my wardrobe too, my fav being a version of Gustav Klimt's painting "The Kiss" only with Han Solo and Princess Leia.

    Congrats on your 20 year dating anniversary and on reaching 20k in your WIP. Twenty is a big number for you this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, ha - might have to find THAT SHIRT. :) And yeah - 20 is typically one of my favorite numbers. Hmmm. Didn't think about so many 20s this month.

      Have a great week!

      Delete
  13. I can't wait for ALL THE BUTTONS! Oh, and writing stuff. That too :)

    Congrats on all your drafting progress. And for the 20th anniversary of your first date. My hubby and I only have about a year and a half until we reach that milestone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for you to join us! I need to get back to blogging too so yay for all the things blogging and writing and buttons!

      Delete
  14. 20K is great, congrats! And I've been meaning to read THE SILENT WIFE so it's good to hear that the pacing must be good on that one. The plot kinda has kept it lower on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it. I typically don't read much adult lit, but my book club forces me too, lol. I do usually enjoy the ones we choose and this was pretty good.

      Delete
  15. I don't know about you, but my kids birthdays are worse than mine. After all, I'm old and getting older. I'm okay with that. But to think of my son turning 16 in November, and my youngest about to turn 10 in a month? And the fact I have two adult children?? Nooo... they're all my babies!! They can't be growing up so fast... :(

    Congrats with getting 20k into the the new story, Alison! May this be an awesome writing week, and summer, for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, heh - I can't imagine having adult kids! They do grow up too fast, don't they?!

      Delete
  16. Yay Alison, Ready.Set.Write! was so much fun last summer, not to mention a fabulous motivator. Looking forward to it. Also, 20k on a new project is fabulous! Woohoo! Love the Star Wars T!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you'll be joining us! We must have some Twitter parties together, lady!

      Delete
  17. My husband loves Impractical Jokers. We were watching one the other day where one of the guys got hooked up to a machine that simulates child birth. I had no idea that was even possible! Sounds like lots of good things are happening, and 20K is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG - when they did that to him I thought I was going to DIE. I didn't think that was possible either.

      And thanks! I'm hoping to make it 25K before next week. We'll see, lol.

      Delete
  18. That pin is great! I'm looking forward to REady.Set.Write! And amazing that you've already reached 20k! Sounds like this week had a lot to celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And so glad you'll be joining us for RSW!

      Delete
  19. Congrats on hitting 20k, good luck with the rest of the draft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just about to hit that murky middle. I'll need all the luck I can get!

      Delete
  20. Congrats on hitting 20k! If you need a reader when you're done...you know my number. ;) I'm so pumped for Ready, Set, Write! I'm going to try to do it again this year. Thank you guys for organizing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I'll take you up on that CP read! Thank you! And yay! So glad you'll be joining us for Ready Set Write!

      Delete

Yay! I LOVE comments!