Friday, May 2, 2014

Writer's Voice Contest Entry!


 
I've been randomly selected to participate in The Writer's Voice Contest! I am super excited and a huge thank you to Brenda Drake, Monica B.W., Elizabeth Briggs, and Kimberly P. Chase for hosting! If you're curious to see how the contest works, click here. J

As part of the contest, I'm sharing my query and the first 250 of my YA Magical Realism THOSE MAGIC CHANGES. Enjoy!

THE QUERY:

Dear Writer's Voice Coaches:

Seventeen-year-olds Alexandra and Axl Reed may be twins but their interests are about as related as baseball and the theatre. Perfect Alexandra is the glorified virgin of Titan Heights; Axl's the renowned punk. They’re always in each other’s faces.

Until a freak accident puts them in each other's bodies. 

Alexandra’s been paying her theatrical dues for years, but after the magic change, Axl’s argumentative and carefree ways are going to get him kicked out of Grease rehearsals, very well destroying any chance Alexandra has of performing onstage again. Worse—he drinks. He swears. And, for the love of Fosse, he even rats her hair. Meanwhile, crass Axl’s been kicking ass at baseball since Little League and he’s finally got a shot at starting for the varsity team. But in his body, Alexandra’s too nice. Too freaking polite. And those jazz hands are going to get her a swirlie. Or worse.  

If the twins want to reclaim their bodies and their lives, Axl will have to lose his free-wheeling ways and take on the role of his perfectionist uptight sister, and Alexandra will have to step up to the plate and improvise the part of her brother. They'll have to learn how to relate quickly. Or be the other. Indefinitely. 

With the slapstick humor of a campy Broadway song yet the relatable soul of a classic rock ballad, THOSE MAGIC CHANGES will appeal to fans of Grease, Freaky Friday, Glee, baseball, and good ol’ rock and roll.  

It is complete at 86,000 words. 

I am a member of SCBWI and the Write Brained Network. I am also a founding member of the group blog YA Confidential, a resource for YA writers devoted to all things teen, all the time.  

Thank you for your time and consideration.

THE FIRST 250

Grease is the word.
            The cast list goes up after first period drama, and I would have the best junior year ever if Mr. Fonda cast me in the role of Sandy. I don’t drink or swear. And, for the love of Fosse, I never rat my hair. It’s always in a tight ponytail, thank you very much. I mean, I probably look more like Patty Simcox than I do Sandy, but that’s why there’s blond hair dye. I spin a circle as I arrive at my locker. I cannot wait to see the cast list!
            I'm two swivels into my locker's combination when my brother’s body slams into it. Axl curses and I gasp as Michael Titan shoves him up against his locker. And mine.
“Mess with my girlfriend again, punk, and it’ll be your face in the toilet. Forget your friend.”
            “You mess with my friends, I screw yours, asshole.” Axl winks at Cassidy French, Michael’s girlfriend of the month (okay, two months and thirteen days—so annoying). “She do that swirly thing with her tongue to you too? God, so hot.” He gestures with his tongue at Cassidy in a most revolting way. She merely files her nails with an invisible emery board. Like anything’s more fascinating than the imminent fight between my brother and my crush of the century.
            Michael squares his shoulders. His very broad shoulders. “You can shut your mouth now. Punk.”
            “Make me.” Axl blows a spike of hair off his forehead. “Dick.”  

I hope you enjoyed my query and excerpt. Thank you again Writer's Voice hosts and coaches! 

 

58 comments:

  1. I love this book so much. Good luck!! I have confidence in you and your hilarious and awesome story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracey for all the story love!

      Delete
  2. What Tracey said. :-) I could write a thousand words about how much I love this story, but you already know all about that. Best of luck, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWW! You are the best! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THIS BOOK! Seriously, this is the one to beat. Great hook, great voice, and so much DUH-RAMA! Secreting you a huge win on this, Alison! Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a body switching movie once and loved it. It's awesome seeing it's coming in book form. I enjoyed your excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Squee! Congrats on getting selected - I've got my fingers crossed for you in this contest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! This sounds awesome! I think we must both have a thing for boy protags. :) Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG - LOVE writing boys! And thank you!

      Delete
  7. What a great query! Love all the Grease references. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the love of Fosse, this is hysterical! This has such an updated Freaky Friday vibe that I'm sure it's going to be a smashing success. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Thank you! I'm so glad you like my Fosse reference! And yes - LOVE Freaky Friday!

      Delete
  9. YAY! I love this book! GO ALISON GO!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Gershwin, I love love loooooove this story!!!! The voices of both Alexandra and Axl leap through the pages. I know I couldn´t stop reading <3 Crossing my fingers for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GAH! LOVE that you said Great Gershwin! I'm totally going to try to make it happen. :)

      Thank you for all the story love!

      Delete
  11. Good Lucky. I really liked your concept and 250 words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your voice and concept are amazing, and I'd love to read your whole YA! Good luck with the contest, Alison. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you can read the whole thing one day!

      Delete
  13. Very cool concept, and I love your voice throughout the excerpt! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! I still think this concept is awesome and fun and funny and i hope you get picked!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always LOVE a good body-switch story! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was very fun to write. :)

      Delete
  16. Your premise sounds fantastic and the voice in the opening scene fits perfectly, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic voice! And I love that both Alexandra and Axl need to make a lot of changes to themselves, not just "bad boy" Axl. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are a rock star. I love your concept and the voice! Nicely done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good luck!! This sounds like such a fun story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ghenet! It was definitely fun to write!

      Delete
  20. Love your synopsis every time I read it. And the voice is spot on. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your concept! As a former proofreader, I have one tweak to suggest for the query. The first sentence could use a comma after "may be twins."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie-Anne! I will check that right now!

      Delete
  22. Hi Alison! I WANT YOU! And I should probably also say that Dannie Morin, my fantastic partner/editor in crime, wants you too or she’ll probably kick my butt! She may have tweeted about THOSE MAGIC CHANGES. She may have also sent me a very demanding and persuasive email about your entry as well. Luckily, we were both in total agreement! When I first read your query I was completely intrigued and wanted to read more right away. I love that you’ve taken boy/girl twins and caused complete pandaemonium by switching their bodies and lives. (I am wondering how this switch takes place?) I also think this plot line will allow for a beautiful arc for Alexandra and Axl. What an interesting (and probably comedic) way to learn about your sibling! We REALLY, REALLY want you and THOSE MAGIC CHANGES on our team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O.M.G. This email made my DAY! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  23. These 250 are suh-nappy. :-) Love.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Woohoo! Congrats, Alison :)!!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this premise + 250, and I'm so excited you got picked. Fingers crossed for you as you and your lovely coaches and team get ready for agent round!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes! So glad you got picked, this sounds awesome. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Alison, I was SUPER close to picking you from the beginning, because I LOVE your concept and opening and I'm a little bit in love with Axl already. But I won a battle for a cheerleader one and I worried it was a tiny bit too similar in tone or something... Plus, I genuinely thought Kimberly would be a better match for you and would be able to help you more. I know you will be in awesome hands and will get lots of requests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Liz! I'm so glad you love my concept! And oh how I heart Axl. :) Thank you for all the story love!

      Delete
  27. Hey Alison,

    It's time to get this show on the road! So thrilled to have you on the team!!! Will you email me your query and 1st chapter as an attachment to kpchase(at)gmail.com ?
    Thanks!
    -K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU! I am thrilled to be on Team SuperNova!

      Delete
  28. Hi Alison. This sounds awesome - I'm so glad you're in!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!