Monday, June 16, 2014

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week 2

 
I’m back for week 2 of Ready. Set. WRITE! If you’re new and wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive through which we write/revise/plan like crazy, cheer each other on, and hold one another accountable with weekly updates. We’ll be sharing our goals on Mondays and keeping our posts brief so we can save our words for our WiPs! J Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to hop around to encourage other participants. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here!
And if you missed the initial goal setting post and still want to join in, PLEASE DO! Just post your goals today, use the 5 headings if you want, and join the fun!
Here’s how last week went for me… 

How I did on last week’s goal

My goal last week was to write 5000 words. I achieved that goal Saturday morning and continued to write a little over 1000 more.  J!!!!! *throws confetti at self*

My goal(s) for this week

1) Write 5K words. I have a few scenes left before my midpoint—so I “hope” to get there too.

2) Print off the first forty pages of my last story THOSE MAGIC CHANGES and start highlighting the keepers, the goners, and the on-the-fencers.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised
 
Just a little background: the story I’m working on is from three guys’ POVs. This particular scene involves my boy Ashton, his best friend’s girl Meaghan, and a creative writing project they’re working on together.  

“Mmm-hmm. I could do both a guy and a girl. At the same time. You up for that?”  
 
She pops her pen cap in her mouth and twirls it. What is it with girls and pen caps? Also, WHAT? 

The biggest challenge I faced this week (finding time to write, getting sick, having writer’s block, etc)

Finding time to write. Normally I write while my kids are at school, but since this past week was the last week of school, I volunteered as an exam proctor, helped out with my ten-year-old’s Water Day, put in extra afternoons and evenings tutoring—getting my “clients” ready for exams, and I hosted my IRL book club. BUT, knowing I only had an hour to write on certain days made me that much more productive. So, yay! 

Something I love about my WIP

The fact that my main characters  (and their siblings) play soccer and I can count watching The World Cup as research. Four weeks of soccer, soccer, soccer. LOVE. IT.
 

One last thing: I added most everyone to a Twitter list so feel free to check that out and keep up with your fellow RSWers! And if I missed you, please forgive me. I’m old and forgetful. J Please let me know if I didn’t add you and include your Twitter handle in the comments!

And speaking of Twitter, some of our participants are throwing random Twitter writing parties. If you’re writing and need someone to keep you accountable, feel free to start your own or join in one that’s already started!
I hope you all had an incredibly productive week! I can’t wait to check out your posts! PS—don’t forget to sign up on the linky!





51 comments:

  1. Congrats on exceeding your goal! Also, this is my first week, so I'm not on the Twitter list yet. @BecauseofBooks Looking forward to this summer of writing! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotcha on there! And so glad you've joined in the fun!

      Delete
  2. *throws confetti with you*

    LOVE the lines from the book - I also said WHAT? Especially knowing it's Ashton's best friend's girl! And now that song is stuck in my head.

    Sings: She's my best friend's girl and she used to be mine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That song is on my playlist. It's actually also a chapter title in my last story. Love that song!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on surpassing your goal! Sometimes having limited time to write can be motivating, because it forces you to really concentrate during those times!

    I'm joining the challenge this week so I don't think I'm on the Twitter list - my handle's @ELAdams12

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get you added! And yes - I do find that when I only have an hour or so, I am often more productive.

      So glad you're joining us!

      Delete
  4. Loved your WiP lines. Very much a boy and very hooky. Summer brings new schedules, but a lot of fun. Good luck on all your goals! I am sure you will get your words in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words on the excerpt! I love writing boy so I'm glad to hear Ashton sounds like one, lol. :)

      Delete
  5. First of all, I love the lines you shared even more on this second reading. And I totally laughed at the image of you throwing confetti at yourself. ;-) Let's make a writing date happen soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Let's definitely write together soon! I need some company AND motivation!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on exceeding your goal of 500 words! GO YOU!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck on your goals this week Alison :-) You got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel!!! And good luck to you too!

      Delete
  7. Wow, you are productive! I feel like a slacker in comparison, haha... congrats on meeting your goal and then some!

    Love that excerpt. Illicit steaminess on the horizon? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I mention those 6000 words are ROUGH words? Please don't feel like a slacker! My 6000 probably equates to someone else's 600. But it works for me. :)

      Also, yes - definite steaminess on the horizon. :)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on going beyond your goals! I never set word count goals, just hopes to finish a chapter or be up to a certain chapter, whether it's writing or polishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Revising I tend to set page goals, but I have to do word goals when I draft. I guess we all find what works for us, right?

      Delete
  9. Ok, the only thing better than Alison writing guy POV is Alison writing THREE guy POVs! This sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! I just don't think I can ever go back to writing girl. I love writing boy too much!

      Delete
  10. Wow, I'm amazed at how much you got done during all that last-week-of-school craziness. Great focus! AND -- That line is hilarious. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was reminded last week of my teaching days. And I squeezed in the writing time then too, but still. TOO CRAZY. Glad this week is a little calmer!

      Delete
  11. That line has me laughing. I'm curious. Congrats on meeting your goal and good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for funny lines! And thank you! Best of luck to you too!

      Delete
  12. Awesome that you met AND surpassed your goal this week! I wrote about 5K, so I'm not too far behind. :-) Here's to another super productive week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! And thank you, Jaime! I hope we both have another awesome week!

      Delete
  13. Yay for going above and beyond word counts!! And I've never tried your highlighting revision method. I might try it when I get to that phase. Good luck with this week's goals! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. I also have the cutting and pasting method too. Like with literal scissors. Whatever works, right?

      Delete
  14. Wow, 6k is a really solid week! Enjoy your soccer research. My son has been watching the World Cup non-stop too and it's on the TV right now, actually. Best of luck with firing off another 5k this week and all that highlighting in prep for revisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I write this, the Germany game is replaying and yes - we are watching. :) LOVE all the soccer!

      Delete
  15. Great job with meeting and exceeding your goals! Haha, and I love that the World Cup counts as research for you. :)

    Also, thanks for your comment & yes, your verse novel suggestions were helpful! I actually didn't pick up any of the Ellen Hopkins novels, but looking into them help me find a few others. Not sure which I'm going to read yet. Maybe a shorter one to start, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CRANK is an EXCELLENT one to begin with. And IMPULSE and IDENTICAL are some of my other favorites. Hope you enjoy! And glad I could be helpful!

      Delete
  16. Congrats on your goal! Especially when you've been so busy. And I loved your line- I totally LOL'd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I am seriously the least funny person IRL so these comments are making my heart sing. :) Thank you! And I hope you have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  17. Horary for surpassing your goal! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. *Throws glitter to celebrate your achievement* Congrats for getting so much writing done! Sorry about the glitter mess... nothing gets out glitter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I have two kids and my 15 year old still uses glitter for projects. I find it all the time. :)

      Delete
  19. Congrats on meeting your writing goals! Your excerpt made me laugh. Very funny. I would most definitely count The World Cup as research. Have a great writing week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your tweets about the World Cup and I LOVE it! Yay to win-win research!

      Delete
  20. Congrats on exceeding your goals! Finding time to write/revise is my struggle too, but it sounds like you're doing a great job. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ghenet! And yeah - might be a little tricky this week too. Hopefully we'll meet our goals!

      Delete
  21. Nice on the 6,000 words! Wow. I'm impressed :) Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1,000 more? FANTASTIC! And I love "the keepers, the goners, and the on-the-fencers" Lol!! Good luck with your wonderful goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The highlighting method on hard copies tends to be somewhat helpful. Hopefully!

      Delete
  23. *dumps a big bucket of confetti on your head* Woo-hoo! Way to rock those goals, in spite of challenging schedules, kids, book clubs, etc. Good luck this next week - keep up that momentum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's slowed a bit, but hoping to get some momentum mojo back. Have a good week!

      Delete
  24. Congrats on exceeding your word count goal! That's great!! The lines you posted are great. I loved it! Good luck with your goals this week. I hope you're able to find more time to sneak in some writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - for all of this! And yes - sneaking in some writing time in a few!

      Delete
  25. Woo! Great job on your word count. And that line from your story cracked me up. And instantly gave me dirty thoughts. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Giving my boy Ashton dirty thoughts too, lol. Have a great week!

      Delete
  26. Hi I'm looking for your contact info for a book review/post?
    Can you email me at EdenLiterary at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!