Monday, June 23, 2014

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week 3

 
I’m back for week 3 of Ready. Set. WRITE! If you’re new and wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive through which we write/revise/plan like crazy, cheer each other on, and hold one another accountable with weekly updates. We’ll be sharing our goals on Mondays and keeping our posts brief so we can save our words for our WiPs! J Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to hop around to encourage other participants. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here!
And if you missed the initial goal setting post and still want to join in, PLEASE DO! Just post your goals today, use the 5 headings if you want, and join the fun!
Here’s how last week went for me… 

How I did on last week’s goals

My goals for last week were to

1) write 5000 words. Check! (Actually, I wrote 7000 and hit the midpoint Sunday morning) 

2) print off the first forty pages of my last story THOSE MAGIC CHANGES and start highlighting the keepers, the goners, and the on-the-fencers. Check! (Well, I achieved highlighting the keeper phase) 

My goals for this week

1) Write 5000 words. Sorry if I’m  consistent and boring. This goal just seems to work for me. 

2) Highlight the rest of my first forty of THOSE MAGIC CHANGES. And start reworking the whole beginning. I’ve outlined what I “think” I’m going to do to change it. We’ll see how that goes. J 

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised 

Just a little background: the story I’m working on is from three guys’ POVs. This particular scene involves my boy Jesse—who continually breaks my heart. L Also, my excerpt is a little longer than a line. Oops.

I close the door, lock it, then slump back into my desk chair. I should be keyed up. Ecstatic. On-the-roof excited. When I got into Princeton, Z and Ashton both blew up their online statuses with my news: Our home boy got into Princeton, yo. He’s smarter than all y’all! When the MIT envelope arrived at my doorstep, Mags ripped it open, snapped a picture, and posted it everywhere. This is by far the most important envelope yet, the school I’ve dreamed of going to since middle school. But now—I have no one to share it with.  

The biggest challenge I faced this week (finding time to write, getting sick, having writer’s block, etc) 

Finding time to write. Between the end of school, retirement parties, the kids being home, and vacation, my writing time has been a challenge to schedule in. But I managed. J 

Something I love about my WIP 

Pranking plays a big part in my story and I am constantly researching and reading about pranks guys play on each other. My research has been rather informative. And highly entertaining. And gives me excellent reason to tune into this show every Thursday night. If you’ve not seen it, watch one episode, people. HILARIOUS.




One last thing: I started a Twitter list for RSW 2014, and if I missed adding you, please forgive me. I’m old and forgetful. J Please let me know if I didn’t add you and include your Twitter handle in the comments!
And speaking of Twitter, some of our participants are throwing random Twitter writing parties. If you’re writing and need someone to keep you accountable, feel free to start your own or join in one that’s already started!
I hope you all had an incredibly productive week! I can’t wait to check out your posts! PS—don’t forget to sign up on the linky!





50 comments:

  1. wow! your writing goal of 5000 words is amazeballs well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I only had a few days to squeeze it in. WHEW

      Delete
  2. "But now—I have no one to share it with."

    I seriously just said out loud "Oh no! What happened???" Poor Jesse! Maybe. What did he do???

    Awesome on the 7000 words - hope you have another productive week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And my poor boys. I just wrote a scene straight out of THE OUTSIDERS this weekend. My heart hurts with all that I'm putting them through. Silly necessary evils. :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on kicking butt on your goals! And love your snippet, Alison! I too have a Jesse in my book (: Good luck with your opening goals - can't wait for you to finish your writing goal & seems like you will definitely get there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for Jesses! And thank you! I hope we all have productive weeks!

      Delete
  4. Oh, Jesse... He continuously breaks my heart too. I want him to get the girl and a happily ever after so bad! Awesome job on your new words this week, friend! You're inspiring me to kick it up a notch. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still curious how that HEA will play out myself. :) And thank you for the encouragement! I'm off to unroughen an excerpt for you!

      Delete
  5. Love that line you shared. I like your goal consistency. I need to find a goal that works for me...or just be realistic with my time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This goal works because it's manageable. And if I don't achieve a certain number of words one day, I can always make up for it. Good luck with your goals this week, Liz! You can do it!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your progress! If the goal works for you, keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the research you're doing! If only all research could be so much fun ;)
    No need to apologize for being consistent. It's the way to get things accomplished. Good luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish all research could be that fun too. :) And good luck to YOU!

      Delete
  8. My book has a Jesse too! I approve of this name selection. ;)

    That aside, I really love the snippet you shared. That emotion of pride/elation, followed by disappoint that everyone already shared the news and stole your thunder is really poignant. Good luck with your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES to Jesse! And thank you, Erin! That excerpt will be cleaned up, but I do love the emotion in it. Thank you for your encouraging words!

      Delete
  9. I like this whole keeper, goners, and on-the-fencers thing you've got going. Such a great idea, Alison! I might have to borrow it. :-) I know what you mean about finding the time to write/revise. This time of year is just so busy! And as for being consistent, I think that's a great way to tackle a project. I recycled my goal from last week, so... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have added the "will go elsewhere" highlights. By nature, I'm SUCH a hoarder so it's hard to cut anything. But it's a necessary evil.

      Delete
  10. Way to go on your blowing your goal out of the water! And I love your snippet. I want to know why he doesn't have anyone to share it with now. Bad prank gone horribly wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Bad prank gone wrong. Either you're exceptionally brilliant or I'm too obvious. I'm hoping it's the former. :)

      Hope we both have great weeks!

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on meeting your goals! It's so important to find the time to write and polish. If you don't make and find the time, it won't make and find itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Finding time is high on the priority list. And thank you for all the encouraging words!

      Delete
  12. Love that section. Writing from a guys POV is fun to me. You captured them well!
    Awesome job meeting and beating the goals! Keep it up. Good luck this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love writing boy. And thank you for all the encouragement! I hope you have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  13. Oh, that piece from your WIP is so damn good. Love the voice. And congrats on exceeding your word count goals! Good luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And good luck to you too!

      Delete
  14. I think consistency in your goals is awesome! Out of curiosity, are you always working on a revision and a first draft simultaneously? I'm doing that right now, and I kind of like the rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not always, but often. I find it's nice to bounce back and forth. If I get burnt out or need a creative break from one, I go to the other. And yes - the rhythm is very nice.

      Delete
  15. Awesome job blowing your word count goal out of the water! Great voice in your excerpt! Good luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Consistency is a great thing if it gets you to your end goal! Keep at it! Hope it's a bit easier to squeeze in writing time this week! I think we should start scheduling nap time into our goals ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Nap time as a goal - I like it!

      Thanks, Erin! I hope you have a most productive week!

      Delete
  17. Hey, "boring" goals don't matter if they work! Sounds like you're doing great. Hope things settle down a bit more this week so that finding time isn't as hard. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think things will settle down a bit. So, hopefully. :)

      Thank you! Hope you have a great week, too!

      Delete
  18. Congratulations on meeting your goals! And I think consistent goals are the best - not boring. :) Good luck on your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy words! Awesome word count last week. I'm jealous. My goal is the same and boring, too, but you know, slow and steady win the race. Or in your case, fast and steady? Anyway, good luck on your goals this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I think I need to post something about how CRAPPY that 7K is. But thank you. And good luck to you too!

      Delete
  20. That video is hilarious!

    Congrats on your word count last week. Getting 2000 more than you aimed is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heart that show SO MUCH. An thank you! Hopefully I'll get that close this week!

      Delete
  21. I absolutely LOVE the voice in your writing! Good luck with your writing goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And good luck to you too!

      Delete
  22. Also, my twitter handle is MelanieCrouse71 Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey, there's nothing wrong with consistency! WAY to GO!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Boring, but it works! Have a great week!

      Delete
  24. I love that excerpt! Nice work surpassing your word count this week, even with everything else going on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I hope you are having a lot of success with your goals too!

      Delete
  25. Sometimes I talk to my sixteen-year-old brother for research. It is...enlightening. (He also gave my dad a joke to open his retirement speech with: "I'd like to thank sidewalks for keeping me off the streets." Boys.)

    Great job beating your goals last week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure that research is! I have a 15 year old daughter and her friends, but I do miss eavesdropping on my male students. Love that joke, btw! And thank you for the encouragement!

      Delete

Yay! I LOVE comments!