Monday, June 30, 2014

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week Four!

Thank you so much for your encouragement and kind words last week!


It’s week 4 of Ready. Set. WRITE! already! If you’re new and wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive through which we write/revise/plan like crazy, cheer each other on, and hold one another accountable with weekly updates. We’ll be sharing our goals on Mondays and keeping our posts brief so we can save our words for our WiPs! J Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs (the fabulous Katy Upperman, Jaime Morrow, Erin Funk, and me!) each week, and remember to hop around to encourage other participants. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here!
And if you missed the initial goal setting post and still want to join in, PLEASE DO! Just post your goals today, use the 5 headings if you want, and join the fun!
Here’s how last week went for me…

How I did on last week’s goal 

My goals for last week were to

1) Write 5000 words. Wrote 7000 and hit the 50K mark. WHEW! 

2) Highlight the rest of my first forty of THOSE MAGIC CHANGES. And start reworking the whole beginning. Highlighted the keepers, goners, on-the-fencers, and save-for-laters while watching Brazil BEAT Chile in PKs (insert HUGE smiley face). Surprisingly I was productive. My heart’s still going crazy from that game, but PHEW. Also, I had outlined how I thought I might change the beginning of TMC, but in the past week, two other versions of how I might spin the beginning have taken form. I’m going to pretend that’s a good thing and say, yay!

My goal(s) for this week

1) Write 5000 words on my Mean Boys story. 

2) Write at least one of my three new beginnings for THOSE MAGIC CHANGES.  

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised 

Just a little background: the story I’m working on is from three guys’ POVs. You’ve heard from my boys Ashton and Jesse. So, here’s a teensy bit from Z. Warning: this is FIRST DRAFT.  

When we’re five minutes out from the Penn Ridge school sign, I sling my arms around Ashton’s and Jesse’s shoulders, gently bring their heads into mine, and whisper, “This shit’s gotta stop.”
            “This wasn’t a prank, Z.” Jesse tries to lean back. I tighten my grip on his shoulder.           
              I swallow. Hard. “No. But Ashton thought it was. Whatever’s been going on between us. I can’t do it anymore. I don’t know what happened, but I can’t go the rest of my senior year without you two. So, it stops. All of it. No more jokes. No more pranks. I just want my best friends back.” 

The biggest challenge I faced this week (finding time to write, getting sick, having writer’s block, etc) 

Being sick. Although that only took me out for two days, but still. UGH. 

Also, the World Cup. Great for research, but so distracting. J 

Something I love about my WIP 

My boys and their individual relationships with Jesse’s girl Meaghan. She brings to the table something different and necessary for each of them—and vice-versa. I “hope” I’m getting all the dynamics right, but the relationship aspect with her and the guys has been one of my favorite parts of my story.
Also, I’m sure that made NO sense at all. Hopefully you’ll get to read it one day so you can figure out what the heck I’m talking about!

I hope you all had an incredibly productive week! I can’t wait to check out your posts! PS—don’t forget to sign up on the linky!





54 comments:

  1. Alison- the WORLD CUP is hurting a lot of things in the world at the moment, including conversations around the coffeepot at work and in restaurants. I have been eavesdropping, and yes, watching as well. I am so impressed with this 5000 word goal! go girl go! Have a great week !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's not hurting my life at all. I LOVE the WC. BUT it is distracting. ;)

      And thank you for your kind words! Have a great week as well!

      Delete
  2. Great excerpt! I'll echo what you said on mine: I'm intrigued! Way to tease us. :) And way to rock those goals. I have to say that, even when I don't reach my goals during the week, I read these kinds of updates and it inspires me for the next week. So, thank you! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inspiration, FTW! So glad my excerpt was intriguing. :) Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. And...Jessie's Girl is in my head again :) That scene is intense! Glad you're feeling better and hope you have a great week of writing, revising and World Cup watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie's Girl is the theme of my story. I listen to it ALL THE TIME. :) Thanks for all the story love! And hope you finished that revision!

      Delete
  4. Hurray for the World Cup! It's a great distractor for me, but I'm glad to hear that it is inspirational for you. It has made me realize that I need to add more soccer to my WIP (it would actually fit, I'm not just kidding). Go Oranje! And good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY inspirational. I jot something new into the journal on a daily basis. :) And thank you! Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  5. Actually, your comment about Meaghan was very comprehendable ;) Sounds like a great premise. I'm sure you'll get the dynamics right. That's what the 5 million revisions are for. So excited to see the finished novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only 5 million? ;)

      And thank you for your kind words. I think I am getting the relationships right. It's all the other stuff. Blerg. But yes - that's what revisions are for!

      Delete
  6. Glad you were only sick for two days! It's such a blower when you're motivated but your body/health efs it all up. Love that excerpt and what you've done with Meaghan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! And yes - it sucks to be sick when you actually want to work! So glad you've joined in the fun!

      Delete
  7. Sorry you were sick this past week. My husband is sick, but I'm hoping it doesn't pass on to me. Good luck this week! (especially with Tuesday's game!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo to sickness! I hope the hubs feels better soon.

      And thank you! I believe we can win!

      Delete
  8. Great job on your goals! Glad to hear you're feeling better, and good luck this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "My boys and their individual relationships with Jesse’s girl Meaghan." <-- Yes! This is what I love about your WiP too! Also, that excerpt rocks, as usual. Glad you're feeling better, and best of luck with your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady! Love these writing parties we've got going on again. Let's keep that up!

      Delete
  10. Hooray for the 50k mark! That is huge. I hope you're feeling better, and good luck with all your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That milestone never gets old. :) Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  11. Yay for hitting 50k and for exceeding your word count goals! Despite being sick, sounds like you had a very productive week! And I am very intrigued by your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! For all of this! Feeling much better...PHEW!

      Delete
  12. Wow, 7000 words! I'm impressed! :-) And good job meeting your other goal too. And now I'm super curious what this non-prank is in the excerpt you shared. Very intriguing! Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jaime! Hopefully it will be another good week for all of us!

      Delete
  13. Congrats on writing 7K new words and hitting 50K!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. After reading that little paragraph, and then the following about the group dynamic, I am so intrigued. I really want more! Great job! Also, congrats on surpassing your goals and hitting 50k! Ahh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad you're intrigued! And thank you for all your kind words!

      Delete
  15. Congrats on over-shooting that goal! Sorry about the sickness but glad to hear you're on the up and up again. And that excerpt would have kept me reading further :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! For all of this! And yes - feeling so much better. I hate being sick!

      Delete
  16. Hope you're feeling better now. I am consistently amazed by how much you manage to write each week--even with two days off for being sick! Jealous of your zippy pace. Good luck on your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I mention that my 50K is a very CRAPPY 50K? I write fast and fix later. But thank you for all your encouragement! Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  17. Well done on hitting 50K! Hope you feel better now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes - kicked that bug Wednesday. PHEW

      Delete
  18. 7000 words this week and making 50k is awesome! Way to go!
    Three new beginnings? That sounds like me in a previous WIP. The beginning is such a hard part of an MS to get just right.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I like my beginning, but apparently it's not working in my favor. :( So, changes. Fortunately I have some ideas on fixing!

      Have a great week!

      Delete
  19. YAYYYY for hitting 50k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And wow three new beginnings! Bummer about being sick and hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! And yes - feeling much better!

      Delete
  20. Good luck with continuing to meet your writing goals! Being sick always takes a bite out of writing time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yeah - it does. But sometimes I think the body has a way of telling you it needs downtime. Mine does.

      Delete
  21. Congrats on reaching 50k. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cannot wait to read your novel or chapters of it, Alison :-)) Cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elodie! Can't wait to share them!

      Delete
  23. WOW, congrats on doing so amazing this past week! I needed the inspiration and motivation as I try to get back in to the swing of things. Love the excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry to hear you were sick this week. I can relate on that one. Good luck with writing 5000 words on your MEAN BOYS STORY and with checking one of those new beginnings off the list! Hope you're feeling much better and that you have a healthier week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope I can get one of those beginnings right!

      Delete
  25. Your WIP sounds so intriguing! Love that it's from the POV of 3 different guys. Congrats on exceeding your goals last week! Hope you do well this week, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope we all do well this week!

      Delete
  26. Great job this week, despite the distractions. :) I like the way you are tackling revision, highlighting keepers, gonners, etc. I might have to try that. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that highlighting thing is a new one, but it seems to be working. I'm about to break out my other revision strategy...scissors. :)

      Delete
  27. The World Cup is ruining my life. I've gotten so worked up over each of the U.S. matches especially, and it's totally killed my productivity.

    And now I see the connection between Jessie's Girl the song and your WIP :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. CONGRATS on hitting 50k, Alison! And I'm glad you're feeling better...it's so hard to find the desire to do anything when you're sick!

    Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!