Monday, July 7, 2014

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week Five!

 
Guys. How is it JULY already? And week FIVE of Ready. Set. WRITE?! I hope you’re having a super productive summer. And if you’re new and wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive through which we write/revise/plan like crazy, cheer each other on, and hold one another accountable with weekly updates. We’ll be sharing our goals on Mondays and keeping our posts brief so we can save our words for our WiPs! J Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs (the fabulous Katy Upperman, Jaime Morrow, Erin Funk, and me!) each week, and remember to hop around to encourage other participants. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here!
And if you missed the initial goal setting post and still want to join in, PLEASE DO! Just post your goals today, use the 5 headings if you want, and join the fun!
PS—make sure you read (or skim!) to the end of the post to find out all about our first giveaway of the summer! You will want this prize, people! Trust me!

Okay, so here’s how last week went for me…

How I did on last week’s goal

My goals for last week were to

1) Write 5000 words on my Mean Boys story. CHECK! And that 5K included not one, but TWO kissing scenes. Bonus!

2) Write at least one of my three new beginnings for THOSE MAGIC CHANGES. It’s a Work in Progress. L And that’s all I’ll say about that.

My goal(s) for this week

1) Write 5000 words on my Mean Boys story.

 2) Continue to work on my new beginning for THOSE MAGIC CHANGES. I’ve at least narrowed the playing field down to two different beginnings (instead of three), but rewriting that beginning has been HARD. So, I would just like to set this week’s goal to working on three scenes of that beginning. Less lofty. More attainable.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised

My Mean Boys story (that’s not the actual title) is from three guys’ POVs. A word that sums up what I wrote and revised: TORTURED. Here’s a little clip of said torture from my boy Ashton. His best friend’s girl Meaghan has dragged him along on a shopping adventure. *sigh*

“I need one with a really thick shaft. The bigger the better, you know?” She runs a hand up and down the curling iron “shaft,” caressing it, one measured stroke after the other. I don’t want to die and come back as a pen cap. I want to be reincarnated as a curling iron. Right. Now.

The biggest challenge I faced this week (finding time to write, getting sick, having writer’s block, etc)

The World Cup (the US game left me a patriotic wreck; the Brazil game put me on an emotional high). The holiday. Taking my 15-year-old to camp. Social media distractions. General laziness.

I will try to be better this week. Swearsies. J

Something I love about my WIP

Because I’m nothing if not cheesy, my story has the most insane and silly theme. But it works. And I love it. Here it is in narrative form, again from my boy Ashton, when I introduce it on page two.

“Yep. That’s them. My friends. They’re, uh . . . kind of ticked I asked you out.” Her reactive oh rings confusion so I elaborate. “Tonight’s the midnight release of Urgent Fury Five. We’re supposed to stand in line at Game Stop, buy three copies, then hit Jesse’s house for an all-night shoot-em-up Zombie fest.” I can hear Z now, admonishing me: Bros before hos, dude. 

Bros before hos. Yes—I am quite horrible and cheesy. I apologize for nothing. J
 
Oh, and because you’ve all been such amazing RSWers, we are starting a month full of giveaways! Yep! One each week for our awesome participants! This week’s writerly care package is from Erin. Check out the awesome…

 
I am already incredibly jealous of the winner. J Just enter to win via the rafflecopter on any of the hosts blogs!  
a Rafflecopter giveaway


I hope you all had an incredibly productive week! I can’t wait to check out your posts! PS—don’t forget to sign up on the linky!





52 comments:

  1. For me beginnings are the toughest thing to write and I have to revise them often. Good idea to take a break from the beginnings to work on different scenes. Hopefully when you get back to working on the beginnings, they'll just flow right out of you ;) Love the excerpt from Mean Boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. I have revised my beginning (or at least changed something) at least a hundred times. Never ending! Good thing I love this story! And thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  2. Kissing scenes!!! Can you tell I love them? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am good with them and good without them, but I do love writing them. :) My last story had very few. And that was okay. This story has more than a few and a bit of steamy smut. I'm okay with that too. :)

      Delete
  3. Two kissing scenes FTW! Good luck with all your goals this week!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Story beginnings are so hard to get right, at least in my limited experience. You'll get there, though. Especially with all the thought and hard work you're putting into it. I have to echo Jennifer here: I love kissing scenes too, so it's pretty fantastic that you added two of them to your WiP! Hope this week is a productive week! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'll ever get this beginning "right." I like it the way it is now, but I'm trying something a little different so that maybe...maybe someone will connect with it. Hopefully I'll get it right!

      Thanks for all the kind words, Jaime!

      Delete
  5. I think opening pages are what I tend to rewrite or change most often. It helps if you have some time away from a book to see if the opening really works or not. In my case, I also was very influenced by older books, and so for a long time followed that style of opening by introducing the characters, story, and setting instead of immediately going into the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, Carrie-Anne. I spend ridiculous amounts of time on my beginnings. One day I'll get it right!

      Delete
  6. TWO kissing scenes?! Gimme! Also, as you know... I'm a big fan of the excerpt you shared. Totally cracks me up! :-) We're writing together today, yes? Tweet me when you're around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, two kissing scenes from two different couples. :) I may send one of them. Look out!

      Delete
  7. That excerpt--LOL. Distractions will always be there, but the week is new to start again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGREED! I love a new start every Monday. And the motivation and accountability from these posts. Hopefully next Monday I'll have a better report!

      Delete
  8. Bahaha! I love your theme. =) Although it's so funny to me that everyone values that sentiment in the dating world, but as soon as people are married it's supposed to do a complete 180. But that doesn't matter since you're writing YA. =) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of love my theme too. And it so works for this story. Thanks for you encouraging words!

      Delete
  9. Great job meeting your goal! And two kissing scenes? I'm sold!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bros before Hos is an excellent theme, haha... And kissing scenes are my favorites! So much fun to write. Good luck on your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Crystal! And yes - they are fun to write, aren't they?

      Delete
  11. Great job on the 5000 words! Beginnings are so tricky - I always have to rewrite mine at least once! Good luck this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neurotic self has to rewrite beginnings at least ten if not fifty times. I am forever tweaking! And thank you! Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  12. Kissing scenes are worth triple points...and you even reached your goal! Good luck for next week. And beginnings are the worst by far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I reached my WC goal so I'm happy about that. Now, if I could just fix this beginning...

      Delete
  13. Still laughing over the curling iron and I LOVE the bros before hos theme. Cheesy is fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This story is SO FUN to write!

      Delete
  14. Two kissing scenes? Woo! C'mon, now, tell the truth.... did you just skip ahead so that you could write the kissing scenes? :) (No? Just me?) Sounds like you made great progress. Good luck on this week's goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, no. They fell right after each other - from two different couples, but the timing may change a little. We'll see on second draft. :)

      And thank you! Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  15. Ugh, I seriously want to kick story beginnings in the butt. Mine gave me grief this week too, so you're in good company. But hey, two kissing scenes in the other story make up for it, right? I can't stop snickering about that curling iron snippet. Too funny! Good luck tackling this week's goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erin! For all the kind words and encouragement. And yes - the kissing scenes definitely made up for it!

      Delete
  16. Beginnings are hard, but you'll get it. Good luck with this writing week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement! And good luck to you too!

      Delete
  17. Hahahaha! Bros before hos. There is this tshirt for the Nights Watch from Game Of Thrones that says "Crows before hos" and I want it. I really like the samples from Mean Boys story. I think there is a lot of great energy and voice there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love writing this story - so fun and so BOY!

      Also, crows before hos is AWESOME. You should get that shirt!

      Delete
  18. Two kissing scenes, woot! :-p And I love that excerpt--reincarnated as a curling iron? Fun! You have such a good voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And yes - so fun to write!

      Delete
  19. It's always a good week when kissing scenes are involved. Two? Even better. :) And that excerpt? Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracey! This hopefully will be another story with a few laugh out loud moments. We'll see!

      Delete
  20. I think 2 kissing scenes counts as a win, no matter what other goals were or weren't met. :) It also seems like everyone had a hard time with finding time this week. Hoping this week is better. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO. Between the World Cup and a lot of driving this weekend, I'm seeing the lack of time thing again. BUT I am going to try to schedule lots of writing time around that. :)

      Delete
  21. The curling iron shaft? Hilarious. Also I've noticed your World Cup shenanigans. Good luck with your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee. I am so thrilled I get to watch so much pro soccer in one month. July 13 is going to be crushing. Guess I'll have to rely on the EPL to get my fix. :)

      Delete
  22. Love the excerpts, they're so fun! Here's to this week being a good one for all the words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun is a good word. That's why I love this WiP! And I hope we both have super productive weeks!

      Delete
  23. I love those blurbs. Why else would a man want to come back as a curling iron?? Congratulations on your goals, 5000 words is a lot to write. Hope you can it up this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bahahaha shaft jokes. Yay for kissing scenes, too! I've got a few hot and heavy ones coming up. Here's to another 5k week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh - could not resist! Also, hot and heavy kissing scenes in the future. THAT's inspiring!

      Delete
  25. LOLOLOL your excerpt!!!!! and thank you for the desire to read my WIP…hope it turns out so you can. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Holla for getting two kissing scenes in there! That's gotta feel good. And I know what you mean about distractions, social media, and laziness. It's a trifecta of doom for anyone hoping to be productive.

    And good luck with your goals this week! Getting that beginning can be so difficult. I had an anxiety dream the other day that I wrote the beginning of my WIP over and over and over and hated all of them. Scary! But that won't happen to either of us! :))

    ReplyDelete
  27. Is it bad that when I read your title Mean Boys I'm suddenly picturing the trailer for Mean Girls and swapping all the genders? Can you imagine Regina, Karen, and Gretchen as guys? XD

    I loved the 'shaft' passage. Had me in giggles!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love that bro's before hoe's is your theme - ha! Nice work hitting your word count, and yay for kissing scenes!

    I'm going to be revising my beginning again this week, too. Beginnings are so hard! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!