Monday, August 11, 2014

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week 10!

 
I hope you all had a productive week with Ready. Set. WRITE! If you’re new and wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive through which we write/revise/plan like crazy, cheer each other on, and hold one another accountable with weekly updates. We’ll be sharing our goals on Mondays and keeping our posts brief so we can save our words for our WiPs! J Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs (the fabulous KatyUpperman, Jaime Morrow, Erin Funk, and me!) each week, and remember to hop around to encourage other participants. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here! 

And if you missed the initial goal setting post and still want to join in, PLEASE DO! Just post your goals today, use the 5 headings if you want, and join the fun!

Here’s how last week went for me…

How I did on last week’s goals

My goals for last week were to take a break from both my stories and…

1) Read! Check! I finished one beta read, started another, and also read the absolutely stunning EVERYTHING LEADS TO YOU (Nina LaCour) and the way too hilarious ME, EARL, AND THE DYING GIRL (Jesse Andrews) 

2) Exercise every day. Almost! Exercised six days out of seven. I’m counting it as success. J 

3) Work on cleaning projects that have taken a backburner. Um… 

4) Do some fun things with the kiddos. Took the kids to Panera, the son mini-golfing; the daughter and I had a movie night and went shopping. Very good times. J Hopefully, we’ll get to see Guardians of the Galaxy next week. I keep hearing how fabulous it is!

My goal(s) for this week 

Time to get back to writing (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

1) Read through THOSE MAGIC CHANGES (TMC). Start a revision list (again J) for my R&R

2) Continue with plans for changing the beginning of TMC. Finish fixing the first chapter (based on awesome CP notes). Continue working on the second one.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised 

While I get back to TMC, I’m taking a break from writing/revising my MEAN BOYS story, BUT I’m not going to break from it completely. Last week I conducted some…research and one word can sum that up: FUN

The biggest challenge I faced this week (finding time to write, getting sick, having writer’s block, etc)

I was supposed to be on a break from writing and I wanted nothing more than to open a doc and start working on one of my stories. Not a bad thing. Not at all. But it did make “taking a break” a challenge. J

Something(s) I love about my WIPs

TMC: the musical aspect of this story. My playlist and my chapter titles are an eclectic mix of Broadway musicals and classic rock and roll, and whenever I work on this story I sing ALL THE TIME.  My neighbors are going to hate me this week.

MEAN BOYS: my three main characters: their friendship, their love of soccer, their pranking ways. They make my heart sing, and  I’m ridiculously excited to get back to this story.

I hope you all had an incredibly productive week! I can’t wait to check out your posts! PS—don’t forget to sign up on the linky!





44 comments:

  1. I find it hard to take breaks from writing...as soon as a don't *have* to work on something, I instantly want to write it! :P Best of luck this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breaks have ALWAYS been hard - especially if there's nothing planned. I am very happy to get back to work!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on successfully taking a break! They are so important, yet somehow very hard to schedule in/stick to. I recently read EVERYTHING LEADS TO YOU and loved it to pieces as well. So good. Good luck diving back into your mss this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! And agreed - they're important. My subconscious had a lot of time to work. :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a fun week with the kids. Even us writers need our breaks. Have fun diving back in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun week! But I'm ready to dive back in. :)

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean about taking a break and sticking to it! Good thing we have wonderful, wonderful books to distract us. I seriously loved ME AND EARL AND THE DYING GIRL. :)

    Also, I'm so impressed with your exercise regime. I only exercised one day, and I was like GOD WHYYYYYY??? Good luck getting back into the swing of things this week! I'll be making a revision list soon, too, and it's terrifying! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg - that book was HILARIOUS! And yeah - I'm going to try to keep the regime up. We'll see!

      Delete
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy is so fun! I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to see it.

    And congrats on having such a stellar week off! I'm in need of one of those soon, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we'll enjoy it - I've heard so many good things about that movie!

      And thank you! Definitely needed, but hard. :)

      Delete
  6. Breaks are so needed! Glad it seemed to help, even if you wanted to start working on one of the WIPs. ;) And I'm the same way with music. It's constantly on wherever I am and helps me get in the right mood to write. You should definitely go see Guardians of the Galaxy with as much as you love music. It is all about the music and letting it move you. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually can't write with music on, but I listen to a ton for inspiration! And thank you! Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  7. I need to add those books to my TBR- they sound great.
    It's nice to have a break. I sorta had one this past week too, not that I meant to, but I'm also happy to get back into it. Especially exercising!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do add them! They were both so good! And I saw you took a break - but for good reason. May we both have a productive week ahead!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad your week off went well. Good luck with your revisions. Thanks for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm the same as Emma - I can't take a break or I simply start getting so many ideas that they try to escape my brain! xD
    I love stories with music in, so I totally was grinning when I read that. I don't really listen to music when I'm first drafting, but otherwise I have my music on pretty loud when I've got headphones on. I'd have to to avoid annoying the neighbours!
    Good luck with your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always take a break after a drafting or revision round and it helps, but it's still hard. And yes - I can't listen to music either while I'm actually writing, but before? All over it. :)

      Delete
  10. Taking a break pays off, even if one has itchy fingers during the break. I've learnt that the hard way, after diving back into the next book with those respective characters immediately after finishing the first book. It leads to burnout, loss of momentum and inspiration, and a feeling of having to push on instead of an effortless joy to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes - the burnout. I've been there too and it forces a longer break. Which ends up being counterproductive. The break is necessary. Hard, but necessary. :)

      Delete
  11. Glad you got the chance to take a break and have fun with the kids! Love your comment by your goal of working on cleaning projects...;). Hope you get back to your writing goals refreshed this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, haha - I made NO progress in that area. Maybe someday. And thank you! I'm excited to dive in!

      Delete
  12. Taking breaks is sometimes hard, but it does help to recharge and all this itching to write will unleash itself now. Cannot wait to read TMC again, and to get the full manuscript of your new WiP and THANK YOU again so much for helping me out with ONLY ONE DREAM...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for you to see the new beginning. And yes - excited to get back to MB when I can. And VERY excited to dive into your novella! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  13. It sounds like your much-deserved week off was wonderful. I cannot wait to read EVERYTHING LEADS TO YOU, more so now that I know you loved it. Nina LaCour is brilliant. Now, get to work on those revisions, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will love ELTY. It's gorgeously written and such an amazing story. And yes, ma'am. I hope to have you something soon!

      Delete
  14. Good luck getting back to writing this week! I took a break as well, and I feel like it was worth it. Definitely always worth spending some quality time on yourself and your family. Glad you all had fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth it and it got me super excited about getting back to my stories. :) Good luck this week!

      Delete
  15. Glad you enjoyed your writing break even if it was tough not to crack open your WIPs and tinker with them! As for GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, we just went the other day for my husband's birthday and it was every bit as awesome as everyone is saying. Hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to go (sure you will)! Good luck with your goals for both projects this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I've heard that movie is awesome and I'm excited. :) And thank you! Hope you have a productive week too!

      Delete
  16. Guardians of the Galaxy is AMAZING. Definitely see it ASAP. Good luck this week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! I'm hoping to see it today!

      Delete
  17. Taking a break sounds like a great thing. And it made you excited to get back to your writing. Win, win! I'm really hoping to go out to see Guardians of the Galaxy this week too. I hope it lives up to the hype. TMNT failed to meet even super low expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son would love to see TMNT, but I just can't do it. But yes - Guardians sounds awesome! Hopefully we'll both be able to report back on that next week. :)

      Delete
  18. Sounds like you had a great break week! And so exciting that you're itching to get at it again! I love books where groups of guy friends are featured. Probably b/c it's like a glimpse into the 'other side'. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love writing and reading boy books period. And yes - itching! I scratched it a wee bit yesterday. :)

      Delete
  19. What a fantastic week! And yay for "fun" research. :) Yes, you have to get to Guardians of the Galaxy. I've seen it twice - loved it both times. :) Have a great week and good luck with your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun research is awesome. :) And WOW! Twice? I'm so jealous. Movies are just so expensive these days. Although we did see Hunger Games in the theater twice...

      Delete
  20. That's the thing about breaks - sometimes, when you try to take them, the writing bug gets worse. Glad you were able to resist, and hopefully that energy carries over to you now that you're getting back to writing.

    Hope you get to see Guardians soon! I loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess absence really does make the heart grow fonder. :) And hopefully we'll see Guardians soon!

      Delete
  21. Haha! I don't know how you can sing while writing! That's crazy. And I'm so curious about your "research"! Good luck with getting back into your writing. I'm sure the break was refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, haha - I don't sing while writing (guess I should have clarified that!), but I sing while cleaning, while doing just about anything else. :) And yes - the break was nice!

      Delete
  22. Sounds like you had a fun week off from writing. Good luck getting back into it this week! You are going to rock your revisions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sometimes we all need a change of pace, I had one recently too, though it was more rushed than I expected!

    I hope getting back to your writing projects goes well this week. Go forth and revise!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!