Monday, August 18, 2014

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week 11: It's Almost Over (sniff)



Guys. It is the second to last week of Ready. Set. WRITE! How is that even POSSIBLE?!  

I hope you all had a productive week! Here’s how last week went for me… 

How I did on last week’s goal

1) Read through THOSE MAGIC CHANGES (TMC). Start a revision list (again J) for my R&R. 

Eh. I read through a hundred pages before I realized I kind of needed to complete goal 2 first. J 

2) Continue with plans for changing the beginning of TMC. Finish fixing the first chapter (based on awesome CP notes). Continue working on the second one. 

Check! Fixed chapter One and Two and am THIS close to being satisfied with the changes I’m making in the rest of the beginning. So, yay!

My goal(s) for this week 

1) Finish fixing the beginning of my WiP.   

2) Read through THOSE MAGIC CHANGES (TMC). Start a revision list (again J) for my R&R

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised 

Here’s a new scene I added last week to THOSE MAGIC CHANGES. It’s between my main characters, Alexandra and Axl. They’re twins. She’s really into her musical theatre. He’s really into his baseball. And they’re always having issues…relating. This scene features them with Mr. Wibble (aka Yoda). It’s a little long. And it might still be slightly rough and redundant. And it has a few curse words. And…
 
Okay, I’ll just shut up and share. J

On the way out of class, Axl grabs my arm and roughly whirls me to face him.
            “I’ll be late picking you up.”
            “What? Why?”
            “Coach. Gave me OT. Which is a hell of a lot better than being cut so I’ll take it.”
            “And you’re just telling me now? We had three classes together. I could’ve found another ride. I could’ve—”
            “Because I knew I’d never hear the end of it.” He sneers. “Now I don’t have to see you until after practice.” He starts a stride toward the lunch room. I speed-walk to catch up to him.
            “How long will you be?” I whine. I can’t help it. When Mr. Fonda dismisses us, he expects us to go. I can’t stay after too much longer, waiting in front of the auditorium. That’s just so…awkward.
            “I’ll stay until Coach releases me.” There’s a churlish eye roll in his tone, but then he stops in front of the boys’ bathroom and says, “Look. It shouldn’t be long. Just laps around the infield, putting shit away.” I must look like I’m about to cry because he snaps, “Twenty fucking minutes. Deal with it. No way my ass is warming the bench again this year.”
            I bite back tears. “Well, maybe you should have thought of that before you got in a fight.”
            Axl throws a finger in my face. “You have no idea what you’re talking about so just—”
            Someone starts whistling, loudly, from the boys’ bathroom. Mr. Wibble wheels out a trash receptacle, smiles at us, and says, “Good day for meatloaf in the cafeteria it is. Eat lunch you should.”
            And then he scoots back into the bathroom. Axl, shakes his head, mutters a gross obscenity under his breath and says, “I’ll get you when I get you.” He takes off toward the cafeteria before I can utter another word.

The biggest challenge I faced this week (finding time to write, getting sick, having writer’s block, etc)

Back story and how much to sprinkle in where. Always my BIGGEST nemesis.

Something I love about my WIP 

I’m kind of a huge Star Wars nerd so I love rereading my story and seeing all the Star Wars references. I did have to cut this line this week though: “Please, Katrina. You're my only hope.” And I was all kinds of sad about that. L

 
Just a heads up—next week is the last week of RSW (insert HUGE sad face) and so the hosts (the fabulous KatyUpperman, Jaime Morrow, Erin Funk, and me!) are going to do a recap post, updating how we did with our goals this summer. We encourage you to do the same!

I hope you all had an incredibly productive week! I can’t wait to check out your posts! PS—don’t forget to sign up on the linky!





22 comments:

  1. I have yet to see an issue with backstory ;) And Mr. Wibble seriously cracks me up! Yay for your progress with the beginning of TMC. What a great feeling I'm sure it is,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, the meatloaf is hilarious! Congrats on hitting those fixing goals, and happy (re)writing & reading this week! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for progress on changing the beginning of TMC! Good luck revising it - R&Rs can be scary but also worth it. Have a great week, Alison!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Star Wars references! Great scene--loved seeing the relationship between the twins (even though they're clearly fighting). Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I struggle so much with backstory, too! It's tricky to know when the right time is to sprinkle in information without overwhelming the reader. Best of luck this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that you have a Star Wars novel! The Yoda teacher is hilarious. I want to read this, and I sincerely believe you should find a place for that cut line... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that you put Star Wars references into your manuscript. I have some in my screenplay and I love how they reveal the characters. Revision is a bitch, but you seem to be attacking it with a lot of focus and calm. Love your scene, the dialog feels really natural!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you have Stars Wars references in your novel, sounds like my kind of book! Backstory is something I also struggle with, it can get frustrating. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your goals this week. Backstory is fun when you put them in just the right places. I heard that J.K. Rowling had tons of character history that didn't even make it to the page. It was just for her. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray for Star Wars references! Good luck with your goals this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with the rest of your summer writing! And I love..."just shut up share"...that would make a great meme. Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Star Wars references are great - even if you ended up cutting one. I can't believe RSW is over. It just buzzed by so fast! Good luck this week on getting those goals.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job tackling those revisions! I can't believe RSW is almost over! It feels like it's just flown right by. Good luck revising the beginning of TMC this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's such a contrast to read older novels, where many times the opening pages contain backstory, or backstory is thrown in throughout, and then see how modern writers are strongly discouraged from doing the same. I personally think if it works, is pertinent, establishing information which can't be conveyed any other way, and it doesn't slow the story down, backstory shouldn't be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for TMC! I'm so happy to see Axl and Alexandra again! Love that excerpt and all the changes you're making. You're going to rock this revision, lady! Best of luck with those goals!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great excerpt! I love the dynamic between brother and sister.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the STAR WARS reference and that your janitor talks like Yoda! One of my characters has a stuffed Ewok on his bed, so obviously I'm a Star Wars nerd too. Glad to hear you're nearly satisfied with your revised story beginning. Why do first chapters have to be so darn hard to write? Good luck with the finishing touches on your WIP intro and putting together your revision list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how I love those two! And I'm sad about that line you cut, too. It was very clever. Save it for a future MS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL, I love Yoda Janitor! And poor Axl getting in trouble - he really was fighting for a good cause, Alexandra! :)

    Good luck with revisions, let me know if you want me to read anything, I'm totally up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like you're almost there! Congrats on getting the beginning where you want it. That's always a good feeling! And what a fun excerpt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Knowing how and where to sprinkle in backstory is so hard for me too. I've been struggling with that in my WIP, especially in the opening chapters. Good luck figuring it out for your story! I loved your excerpt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Opening scenes are SO hard! Good for you for working through those! Hope you get through your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!