Wednesday, October 15, 2014

What's Up Wednesday!

 
HI! *dusts off blog* Sorry I haven’t been around much. I’ve been in a writing/tutoring/mom/wife/family cave lately. But today I’m here. And participating in What's Up Wednesday—a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. J 

WHAT I’M READING:  

I finished a reread of AN ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES (John Green), partly for research, mostly for pleasure. You guys, I heart this book SO MUCH. It may just be and my nerdy math self, but I laughed on practically every page. So GOOD!

Now, I’m reading 100 SIDEWAYS MILES. Andrew Smith is one of my new favorite authors and well, this book is AWESOME so far.   

WHAT I’M WRITING: I’m revising two stories, kind of. One I worked on in August and September, sent out to readers, and just got back a lot of incredibly insightful and encouraging feedback. I have two big things left to revise on that along with a few little things and I am going to do that next week and then maybepossibly send it out. Like, query it. I plan to have tons of wine on hand.  

In the meantime, I just finished a read through on the story I drafted last summer and am ridiculously in love. Guys, I am all about character and this story features three MCs who I just completely and utterly adore. I’m crazy excited about revising, which btw, I’m starting TODAY. J 

WHAT INSPIRES ME:  Soccer. Between my husband’s games, my daughter’s games, the EPL games on the weekends, International Friendlies, and my must watch Real Madrid games, I watch a teensy bit of it. And I love EVERYTHING ABOUT IT. That, and I can count watching soccer as research for the current WiP? #winwinwinwinwin  

WHAT ELSE I’VE BEEN UP TO: See above. ;)

Actually, life is not all soccer. I’ve been tutoring a lot. And very much enjoying being a SAHM. And last Saturday, the husband and I took the 15 year old and a friend to see Modern Rock Fest—an all day concert featuring New Politics, Capital Cities, Bear Hands, Somekindawonderful, and more. The music was beyond amazing. And my daughter and her friend got to do a meet and greet with one of the bands, met the lead singers for two others, and well…we had an AWESOME time.  

Oh, and well, not to talk about soccer AGAIN, but the husband’s boys team won a huge match last night and clinched the conference championship in the process! #soproud!!! 

What’s up on YOUR Wednesday?!

34 comments:

  1. :-) Watching soccer as research? I think that´s pretty awesome. Congrats to your husband´s boys team (and I love your use of hashtags in posts :-)
    And I also think I need to read AN ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES...I haven´t yet.
    Have a wonderful Wednesday (and again, whenever you need extra pair of eyes, let me know :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady! And yes you need to read AAoK! It's amazing.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back to WUW! Glad to hear you've had good feedback. Being ready to query is exciting! ^^

    Have fun with your revisions! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And querying is exciting, but also so nerve-wracking. But I am excited!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you've been super busy! Good luck with the revisions and enjoy the footie :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm SO HAPPY to hear that you're working on MEAN GIRLS. I want to read that story so badly! Yay for the big soccer win. I saw the photo on FB this morning -- so cool! Have a great week, lady. I'm sure we'll be in touch. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I hope that MB will be ready sometime in the next few months. We'll see. :)

      Delete
  5. Good luck with revisions! It's really something special when we fall in love with a book all over again, particularly when some time has passed since we wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Also, often a pleasant surprise for me. I was expecting to read a lot of crap and that wasn't the case. Yay!

      Delete
  6. I love when I'm in love with my WIP. Good luck with revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with revisions. I'm so glad you are in love with your WIP - best feeling ever!!! I also love Andrew Smith's book…. cool fact I hung out with him a few hours last week…..really really nice guy. Just as you'd expect ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so many good things about Andrew Smith and so cool that you got to hang out with him! And I'm half way through now and just love, love, loving this book!

      Thank you for all the encouragement!

      Delete
  8. Oh, I love that--when you pull out and old gem and fall completely in love again. I'm actually looking forward to being done with this series because I have a few books I've been itching to write. Nothing better than characters you adore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a character-centered person, I almost have to be in love with my characters. And yay for old gems! Good luck with finishing your series!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like revisions are the name of the game lately in your corner of the world. :-) It's pretty great that you're so in love with your characters and working on revisions in that one particular WiP. That's the best possible way to approach revisions, I think. You know, considering how stressful they tend to be. Good luck with maybepossibly querying the other story! Have a great week, Alison! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I very much enjoy revising, but man, it is challenging. I think I'll be ready for some serious drafting in a few months!

      Delete
  10. I have a draft I finished this summer that I have yet to read. I am hoping I am pleasantly surprised :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! Good luck with the draft!

      Delete
  11. I loved An Abundance of Katherines! And it's not just your nerdy self, I laughed on pretty much every page as well.

    Good luck with all the revising. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love that book so much! And thank you!

      Delete
  12. I'm woefully behind on reading John Green's books other than TFIOS. I know, shame on me. Rereading favourites is almost as good as discovering a book for the first time because you know what you're in for!

    Wishing you lots of luck and inspiration and motivation as you jump into revisions today! The fact that you adore your characters is a pretty good sign that it'll go well! Have a super week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all the encouragement! And I am not a fan of rereading books, but I would reread that one again and again. So good! Hope you get to read it soon!

      Delete
  13. I'm yet to read AAOK, but I've heard nothing but good things! I devoured TFiOS and Paper Towns, though, so it should be no different ;)

    Sounds like you've had a very busy and inspiring week! Best of luck with the revisions and have a wonderful week!

    -- Caitie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love AAoK then! One of my JG favorites! And thank you! Hope you have a great week too!

      Delete
  14. I am *almost* finished with TMC, so you should have it back in a few days. I'm loving it! I cheered so hard when "The" Michael Titan finally got punched in the face :)

    AN ABUNDANCE cracked me up so much, too.

    Happy revising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for rereading! And yes, I cheer at that section every time too. Thank you for all the encouragement! Have a great week!

      Delete
  15. I think I'll add these to my TBR pile! I love the name of your blog, btw. It's fantastic. Good luck with revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that's a lot of soccer. Go team(s) go! Have a great week, and good luck with your new project and all it's MCs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol! I'd say you have some soccer going on ;) Yay for getting that much closer to the query trenches, and glad to hear you're in love with the other MS. That's such a wonderful place to be. Have fun writing. . .and with soccer!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!