Wednesday, October 22, 2014

What's Up Wednesday

 
What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. J

WHAT I’M READING:

I finished the amazing 100 SIDEWAYS MILES (Andrew Smith) and have been beta-reading some pretty spectacular stories since. #luckyreader

WHAT I’M WRITING: Last week, I worked on two chapters of my Mean Boys story. Not as much as I wanted, but I did crank out a six page brain spew doc on character and problem issues—one an awesome CP gave me wonderful, insightful, and incredibly helpful feedback on. I also spewed to another amazing CP about my TMC story and dove into revisions for that Monday. Oh, and I may or may not have changed the title of THOSE MAGIC CHANGES.  


Thoughts? Anyway, I “hope” to be query ready by the end of the month. *fingers crossed*

WHAT WORKS FOR ME:

Brain spews—on characters, on setting, on plot lines. On random neurotic details probably I only consider important. It helps me to sort things out. Even better when I can bounce the spew off one of my awesome CPs. Sometimes those brain spews are a few pages. Other times they are um…longer. J My CPs are saints. And they are the BEST.

WHAT ELSE I’VE BEEN UP TO: 

Soccer and tutoring keep me very busy in the afternoons and on the weekends, but I did take the ten year old to see Box Trolls this past Saturday. It was cute and well crafted. The 10 year old LOVED it though. Keeps asking if it’s out on DVD yet. And even with the busy schedule, the husband and I hung out with friends for our once-in-a-blue-moon Adult Game Night.

 
Good times. J 
 
Oh, and because I rock the parenting decisions, I allowed the fifteen year old to venture out on a school night to a concert venue three hours away to see New Politics. Without me. I’m still catching up on sleep from that one, but she had an AWESOME time and GOT TO MEET THE BAND.  
 

 
So jealous.
 
What’s up on YOUR Wednesday?! 
 

34 comments:

  1. You can't go wrong with a good ol' brain spew. :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear Box Trolls was good--we've been wanting to take the 8 & 10yo. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son really enjoyed it. Hope you have fun!

      Delete
  3. I love your brain spews! Reading them usually also helps me figure things out in my own writing...so I say your brain spews are awesome :))
    Your daughter looks like she was having a bunch of fun! :)
    Have a great Wednesday, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend! I'm glad the brain spews were helpful all around!

      Delete
  4. I love Cards Against Humanity! I played for the first time this summer at my publishing program. LOL yes a bunch of readers/writers/future editors played this game, let's just say it was very literary based :P Good luck with the rest of your week. Hope you are able to do more brain spewing ;) And what did you change These Magic Changes title to????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that game is HORRIBLE. But so much fun! It's one of our favorites. :)

      Oh, and new possible title: DUDE (LOOKS LIKE A LADY)

      It's growing on me. :)

      Delete
  5. Brain spew? Lol. It does help when you're stuck, though! Good luck with all the revisions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the Boxtrolls the weekend it came out with my cousins. We all enjoyed it. I love Cards Against Humanity. It brings out the worst in people though. There were times when I would turn to my friends and said "WTF were you thinking?" It's all in good fun though. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see Cards Against Humanity bringing out the worst in people. But you're right - all in good fun!

      Delete
  7. My friends love Cards Against Humanity, but I've found ways out of playing since the first time. It's mostly a funny game, but there are certain words I personally don't feel comfortable speaking (though I don't mind hearing, reading, or typing them).

    Good luck with your revisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I sadly have no problems speaking, writing, hearing, or reading some of those things. Unless of course it's from my children, lol.

      Delete
  8. Got to meet the band = good parenting. Most of the time anyway, and this looks like it fits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The bad parenting was letting her go three hours away on a school night. Take the good with the bad I guess. :)

      Delete
  9. I love your brain spew emails and am always happy to throw my opinions at you. :-) Also, as much as I love TMC as a title (because Grease!), DUDE is totally growing on me. Yay for prepping to query again. I'm thinking a zillion positive thoughts for you. Have an awesome week, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DUDE is growing on me too. :) And thank you, lady! Hope you have a great week, too!

      Delete
  10. wow! You're getting so close to querying! Exciting times! Hope you get it all done during your time frame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And again - good luck with Pitch Wars!

      Delete
  11. Good luck with revisions, Alison! I hope you meet your goal of being query ready by the end of this month. And it's so cool that your daughter got to meet the band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I hope so too. I'm both nervous and excited for querying, but so, so ready.

      Delete
  12. Love the new title! It's awesome.
    I've never heard of Cards Against Humanity but I'll definitely have to check it out. We love games in my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And um...you'll have to let me know about your virgin Cards Against Humanity experience. Have fun!

      Delete
  13. Haha, I love the title! Good luck with getting ready to query. I'll hopefully be joining you in the query trenches soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The title is definitely growing on me. :) And good luck to you too!

      Delete
  14. Yay for cool mom! I wasn't allowed to go to a real concert until I was 18 or 19 (it was a HUGE deal at the time but now in my old age I can't even remember lol).

    The new title looks good on paper :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it looks good too. Still growing on me. And I was not allowed to go to concerts. I think I went to my first one when I was 24. My daughter's been to more already than I've been in my lifetime. :/

      Delete
  15. Lol, the new title tickles my funny bone, as does the name of that game. Bet that was an interesting night! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always interesting! And this is great feedback - that the title makes people laugh. Fits my story so I'm liking it more and more. :)

      Delete
  16. Hah! Love the title. And Brain Spews are the best. CP's that tolerate/encourage Brain Spews= Even Better ;)

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I love my CPs - they are absolute saints!

      Delete
  17. Your What Works For Me section is exactly what works for me too. Whether it's in a Word doc, in a notebook, or even verbally to my sister, brain spewing it the BEST for getting all of that stuff out of my head. There's just something about talking it out with someone else that helps things click into place, isn't there? Or even just gets you excited again about your story. Hope you have a great week, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A good CP is absolutely priceless!! So glad you were able to bounce some things off someone and get great feedback. I took my 12-yr-old to Boxtrolls and she loved it, too. And I only snoozed for about 15 minutes of it - that's how I know it was good. :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!