Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Superlative Blog Fest Day 3! Elements of Fiction

It’s day three of The Class of 2014: YA Superlative Blogfest!

 
Jessica Love, Tracey Neithercott, Katy Upperman and I are the hosts and we hope you will join in the fun! It continues to run through Thursday, December 18th and highlights favorite books published in 2014. And at the end we’re giving away a 2014 book to four lucky winners! All you have to do is participate each day to be entered.
Just as a point of reference, here are the 2014 pubbed YA books I read this year: The Impossible Knife of Memory (Laurie Halse Anderson), Grasshopper Jungle (Andrew Smith), Don’t Even Think About It (Sarah Mylnowski), Ignite Me (Taherah Mafi), Panic (Lauren Oliver), Noggin (John Corey Whaley), Push Girl (Jessica Love and Chelsie Hill), The Geography of You and Me (Jennifer E. Smith), One Two, Three (Elodie Nowodazkij), The Here and Now (Ann Brashares), Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Laini Taylor), Since You’ve Been Gone (Morgan Matson), What I Thought Was True (Huntley Fitzpatrick), Complicit (Stephanie Kuehn), Torn Away (Jennifer Brown), Everything Leads to You (Nina LaCour), Faking Normal (Courtney C. Stevens), Alienated (Melissa Landers), Isla and the Happily Ever After (Stephanie Perkins), Side Effects May Vary (Julie Murphy), We Were Liars (E. Lockhart), I’ll Give You the Sun (Jandy Nelson), 100 Sideways Miles (Andrew Smith), Redeemed (PC Cast and Kristin Cast), Blue Lily, Lily Blue (Maggie Stiefvater), Perfectly Good White Boy (Carrie Mesrobian), and Zac & Mia (AJ Betts)
I’m also counting in this list Control (Lydia Kang) and The Promise of Amazing (Robin Constantine) because they were published super late in 2013 (December 26 and December 13, respectively) and really, they were awesome and how fair is that not to include them? J
Now for today’s awesome category…
Elements of Fiction 

Most Envy-Inducing Plot: Panic

                The whole Survivor-style end of senior year elimination game for a monetary prize? Yep. Kinda wish I’d thought of that one. J 

Most Formidable World: Torn Away

                Aftermath of a town and a girl’s life post-horrifyingly huge tornado? No, thank you. 

Most Wanderlust-Inducing: The Geography of You and Me

                Edinburgh, Prague, London, New York, and California. I really wanted to get my passport after reading this one! 

Loveliest Prose: Dreams of Gods and Monsters and We Were Liars

                I would read Laini Taylor’s and E. Lockhart’s grocery lists. That is all.

Best First Line: Nothing like a carful of boys to completely change my mood. (What I Thought Was True) and Even a perfect boy was allowed a flaw or two (Push Girl)

Most Dynamic Main Character: Kara (Push Girl) and Karou (Dreams of Gods and Monsters)

                Both are spunky, spirited, and fighters. And, I know Kara would hate to hear this, but VERY inspirational.

Most Jaw-Dropping Conclusion: We Were Liars and Complicit

                I’m really good at predicting endings. Seriously. But not these.

Best Performance in a Supporting Role: Oscar (I’ll Give You the Sun), Cade (100 Sideways Miles),and Collins (Since You’ve Been Gone)

Best Use of Theme: The Impossible Knife of Memory and Faking Normal
 

So excited to see your picks! Make sure you sign up on the linky!
 










7 comments:

  1. Girl...Kara is about to kick your ass for that comment. ;-) But thank you so much for all the PG love. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at Jess's comment. :-) Yay for Oscar in a supporting role -- I loved him, despite his obliviousness. And great choice in PANIC for plot. Such a cool book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine Complicit has a jaw dropping ending. I agree, The Geography Of You and Me was packed full of wonderful places I'd love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I would most definitely read E. Lockhart's grocery lists too. When I read Torn Away I seriously had flashbacks of living in Kansas. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had the same pick for Wanderlust-Inducing. :-) It's making me want to head back to all of those places! There are books on your list that I keep seeing on others' lists too. Which must mean that I need to read them already! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving seeing all the picks for Envy-Inducing Plot--PANIC sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost forgot how much I loved Push Girl's first line. And I still need to read We Were Liars.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!