Monday, December 15, 2014

Superlative Blogfest: Head of the Class


It’s time for The Class of 2014: YA Superlative Blogfest!
 
 
Jessica Love, Tracey Neithercott, Katy Upperman and I are the hosts and we hope you will join in the fun! The blogfest runs today through Thursday, December 18th and will highlight favorite books published in 2014. And at the end we’re giving away a 2014 book to four lucky winners! All you have to do is participate each day to be entered.
Just as a point of reference, here are the 2014 pubbed YA books I read this year: The Impossible Knife of Memory (Laurie Halse Anderson), Grasshopper Jungle (Andrew Smith), Don’t Even Think About It (Sarah Mylnowski), Ignite Me (Taherah Mafi), Panic (Lauren Oliver), Noggin (John Corey Whaley), Push Girl (Jessica Love and Chelsie Hill), The Geography of You and Me (Jennifer E. Smith), One Two, Three (Elodie Nowodazkij), The Here and Now (Ann Brashares), Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Laini Taylor), Since You’ve Been Gone (Morgan Matson), What I Thought Was True (Huntley Fitzpatrick), Complicit (Stephanie Kuehn), Torn Away (Jennifer Brown), Everything Leads to You (Nina LaCour), Faking Normal (Courtney C. Stevens), Alienated (Melissa Landers), Isla and the Happily Ever After (Stephanie Perkins), Side Effects May Vary (Julie Murphy), We Were Liars (E. Lockhart), I’ll Give You the Sun (Jandy Nelson), 100 Sideways Miles (Andrew Smith), Redeemed (PC Cast and Kristin Cast), Blue Lily, Lily Blue (Maggie Stiefvater), Perfectly Good White Boy (Carrie Mesrobian), and Zac & Mia (AJ Betts)
I’m also counting in this list Control (Lydia Kang) and The Promise of Amazing (Robin Constantine) because they were published super late in 2013 (December 26 and December 13, respectively) and really, they were awesome and how fair is that not to include them? J
Now for today’s awesome category…

Head of the Class 

Favorite Dystopian: Ignite Me

                I honestly read only ONE dystopian this year (I think), but this one was pretty awesome.

Favorite Science Fiction: Grasshopper Jungle

                Boy POV? An unstoppable army of horny, hungry, six-foot-tall praying mantises? Andrew Smith’s awesome writing and storytelling?

                Yes, please.

Favorite Fantasy: Dreams of Gods and Monsters

                Super awesome conclusion to such a super awesome trilogy

 Favorite Contemporary: I’ll Give You the Sun

                I waited three years for another Jandy Nelson awesomeness. SO worth the wait.

 Favorite Action/Adventure (tie): Panic and Since You’ve Been Gone

                Panic—a legendary Survivor-style game played by graduating seniors, where the stakes are high and the payoff is even higher; Since You’ve Been Gone: Emily’s best friend disappears, leaving no trace but a  random to-do list with thirteen bizarre tasks that Emily would never try.
           
                Kind of hard to choose between that.

Favorite Historical Fiction: ... 

                um… obviously I need to fix this for next year

Favorite Comedy: Noggin

                Guys, I could put this book in so many categories, but it’s definitely one of the most unique and funniest books I read this year.

 Favorite Mystery: We Were Liars and Complicit

                We Were Liars: this one could also go in so many categories and probablymaybeyesdefinitely the best book I read this year; Complicit—one word: WHOA

                 And the endings for both of them? Hoo boy.

Favorite Romance: What I Thought Was True

                Huntley Fitzpatrick can certainly bring some heart-warming and steamy romance.

Favorite Paranormal: Redeemed

                I don’t read much paranormal these days, but I did enjoy the conclusion to my House of Night series.

Favorite Genre Bender: Blue Lily, Lily Blue

                Mystery, supernatural, textbook definition of magical realism, romance, science fiction… I’d probably put this in several categories. Again, the Raven Boys continue to be one of my favorite series.
 

Hope you can join us for some incredible fun! Make your pics and sign up on the linky! I’ll be sharing my picks on Instagram (@alisonmiller20) as well.

I can't wait to see everyone's superlative choices! 

9 comments:

  1. This is the first year since the Raven Cycle started coming out that I don't have a Maggie Stiefvater in my genre bender category. I still haven't gotten to BLUE LILY, LILY BLUE yet. Must fix that! You know, this blogfest is definitely a great way to see just how few books we've read under certain categories, isn't it? I had to skip paranormal and had only one choice for historical (thank goodness it was pretty darn awesome). I'll definitely be keeping that in mind when I read this year. We have some of the same picks under certain categories! How great was WE WERE LIARS?! Great list, Alison! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I still need to read Since You've Been Gone! It's sitting in my TBR waiting for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need to read We Were Liars and Blue Lily after reading several of these lists!!! Also YAY for Dreams of Gods and Monsters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. there are so many fantastic 2014 books! I'm dying to read Complicit, Charm and Strange was so amazing I'm sure it won't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen What I Thought Was True on quite a few lists today - I'm sad I didn't get to read it. Actually, I almost bought it the other day but opted for Even In Paradise (got to save the pennies). Still, there's always next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have I'll Give You The Sun on the way. I'm stalking the mail box...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN... *happy sigh* Great choices for Favorite Mystery. WE WERE LIARS was one of mine, too, and I thought COMPLICIT was incredible. Can't wait to see your choices for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many on your list that I've been dying to read! Complicit is on a shelf across from my couch at eye level so it may get snapped up sometime next week when I'll be on CHRISTMAS BREAK!!! But I'm also dying to read Panic and to get back to the Tahereh Mafi series (I only read the first one, but I loved it!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Since You've Been Gone! And I still haven't finished the Shatter Me series, but I just started reading Unravel Me so I will be soon.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!