Thursday, December 18, 2014

YA Superlative Blog Fest 2014: Best In Show

It’s the last day of The Class of 2014: YA Superlative Blogfest L


Jessica Love, Tracey Neithercott, Katy Upperman and I are the hosts and we hope you will join in the fun!

Just as a point of reference, here are the 2014 pubbed YA books I read this year: The Impossible Knife of Memory (Laurie Halse Anderson), Grasshopper Jungle (Andrew Smith), Don’t Even Think About It (Sarah Mylnowski), Ignite Me (Taherah Mafi), Panic (Lauren Oliver), Noggin (John Corey Whaley), Push Girl (Jessica Love and Chelsie Hill), The Geography of You and Me (Jennifer E. Smith), One Two, Three (Elodie Nowodazkij), The Here and Now (Ann Brashares), Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Laini Taylor), Since You’ve Been Gone (Morgan Matson), What I Thought Was True (Huntley Fitzpatrick), Complicit (Stephanie Kuehn), Torn Away (Jennifer Brown), Everything Leads to You (Nina LaCour), Faking Normal (Courtney C. Stevens), Alienated (Melissa Landers), Isla and the Happily Ever After (Stephanie Perkins), Side Effects May Vary (Julie Murphy), We Were Liars (E. Lockhart), I’ll Give You the Sun (Jandy Nelson), 100 Sideways Miles (Andrew Smith), Redeemed (PC Cast and Kristin Cast), Blue Lily, Lily Blue (Maggie Stiefvater), Perfectly Good White Boy (Carrie Mesrobian), and Zac & Mia (AJ Betts)
I’m also counting in this list Control (Lydia Kang) and The Promise of Amazing (Robin Constantine) because they were published super late in 2013 (December 26 and December 13, respectively) and really, they were awesome and how fair is that not to include them? J
Now for today’s awesome category…

Best in Show 

Favorite Cover:
 
               




Just… perfection.

Cutest Couple: Wren and Grayson (The Promise of Amazing), Zuzana and Mik (Dreams of Gods and Monsters) and Noah and read the book; I don’t want to spoil it for you (I’ll Give You the Sun) 

Most Likely to Succeed (Pick a Printz Winner): We Were Liars and Complicit
                Torn here. Both Stephanie Kuehn and E. Lockhart are so deserving. 

Most Likely to Make You Miss Your Bedtime: We Were Liars 

Best Repeat Performance (Favorite Sequel or Follow-Up): Isla and the Happily Ever After
                I always love Stephanie Perkins stories and this one was just as delightful as Anna and Lola. I especially enjoyed the cameos. J

Favorite Finale or End of Series Novel: Dreams of Gods and Monsters 

Romance Most Worthy of an Ice Bath: Perfectly Good White Boy
                Won’t name names for spoilers sake, but be ready to fan yourself.

Best Breakout Novel (Favorite Book by a Debut Author): Ugh. SO HARD to make these choices because I really liked so many of the debuts I read, so I won’t. Choose, that is. J

                Push Girl, One Two Three, The Promise of Amazing, Control, Faking Normal

Best Old-Timer (Favorite Book Published BEFORE 2014): Winger (Andrew Smith) and a reread of An Abundance of Katherines (John Green)

Most Likely to Make a Grown Man Cry: Blue Lily, Lily Blue
                I know—weird choice—but it is literally the only 2014 read I teared up at this year. That courtroom scene still guts me.

Most Pleasant Surprise: (Didn’t Think I’d Like It But Totally Did): Don’t Even Think About It
                Premise sounded a little cheesy, but it was really good!

Most Creative Use of a Love Triangle: Grasshopper Jungle
                Great sci-fi story, excellent writing, but also a great book about sexual identity. And the “love triangle” will have you rooting for all three involved.

Sleeper Hit (Novel So Awesome I Wish It’d Been Hyped More): Everything Leads to You
                This one was hyped (I think) but maybe not as hyped as I would have liked it to be. SO, so good, this one was. J

Favorite Outlier (Best 2014 Picture Book, Middle Grade, NA, or Adult Novel): VIP (Riley Edgewood), When Audrey Met Alice (Rebecca Behrens), and Emperor Pickletine Rides the Bus (Tom Angleberger) 

Create Your Own Superlative (and share your answers to mine in the comments!)
                 I’m going with three oldies but goodies:
                Best LBGTQ: Everything Leads to You
                Character who deserved the biggest hug: Alexi and Bodee (Faking Normal) and Noah (I’ll Give You the Sun)
                Best pet: Otis (Perfectly Good White Boy)
                and one new one (couldn’t resist, Jess!)
                Biggest Douche Nozzle: Curt (Push Girl)
 
So excited to see your picks! Make sure you sign up on the linky!












10 comments:

  1. I need to read An Abundance of Katherines. and Alienated does have a striking cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved Alienated's cover! So many great books in your picks. I really enjoyed The Promise of Amazing, too. (And thank you for the nod to Audrey!)
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I didn't realize THE PROMISE OF AMAZING came out on the last day of 2013. I would have used it for a few categories had I known that. It was super cute! I had to laugh a bit when I saw your comments about EVERYTHING LEADS TO YOU. "SO, so good, this one was." Are you slipping into Yoda there, Alison? LOL Really, really need to read this one, I do. ;-)
    Thank you for hosting this blogfest again! It's always so much fun and so good (so bad?) for my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! A category just for Curt! I love it!

    And, yeah, Noah needs a HUGE hug. That poor kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the names Wren and Grayson (I'm all about the names unfortunately) so I'll have to check out The Promise of Amazing. I must read look into Blue Lily, Lily Blue - I think it's been on lists every day this week! Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree about Don’t Even Think About It. I thought I was going to hate it because of how it's narrated, but I got preapproved for it on Netgalley and was surprised how funny it was and how much I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I picked up I'll Give You the Sun at the library yesterday after almost everyone had it on their lists. I'm 50 pages in and loving it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The courtroom scene in BLLB -- yes! Totally gutted me (though of course I didn't *actually* cry). And I love the covers you chose! NOGGIN, especially, is ridiculously awesome. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, I think I'm convinced on Grasshopper Jungle. It sounded so out-there but I saw Andrew Smith speak at the Rochester Teen Book Festival last year and he was so cool that I wanted to read something by him. Getting the Alison stamp of approval seals the deal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. UGH, yes. Curt would be my pick for your Biggest Douche Nozzle category, as well. I spent that whole book wanting to punch him in the face.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!