Monday, February 9, 2015

Writer Recharge Update #1


 
It’s time for a Writer Recharge update! Don’t know what that is? It’s a chance for a four-week jump start in the middle of a cold, dreary winter. Set goals for yourself, check in once a week, and connect with other recharging writers.

This year the hosts Katy Upperman, Alison Miller, Liz Parker, Elodie Nowodazkij, and Sara Biren have come up with a few categories for overall goals. Mine are in red . . .

·         WRITE/REVISE – Choose writing goals for the month. 

This month I want to finish revisions on the current WiP.  

For week of February 2-8: I hope to cross seven items off the revision list and get rid of 20 pesky comments in my document.

·         READ/REREAD - Read a book that's been on your TBR forever or reread something that had a great impact on you. 

I bought ALLEGIANT the week it hit the shelves and um…I still haven’t read it. I’m going to fix that this month.

·         STRETCH - Do something outside your comfort zone, from reading a genre you typically avoid to trying a new food or rock climbing when you're afraid of heights - that kind of thing. 

 Still thinking on this one. Will definitely do something outside the box!

·         SELF - Do something good for your mind or your body. 

I’m already doing this, but I started a tap class before Christmas. I’m going to make it a goal to go each week, no matter how busy things get.

      ·         CONNECT - Find a way to make a difference in someone’s life. Make a connection, via social media or in person. Initiate twitter writing parties, have a real-life write-in with writers in your town, or offer to critique or beta read someone’s work. 

The write-in thing sounds like an awesome idea. So, I’m going to try that. J

      ·         FUN - Make a goal to do something super fun and exciting that you can look forward to.

 a) I know you’re probably still in shock over the ALLEGIANT thing, but here’s something else I haven’t done yet: eaten at Chipotle. Making a date with the daughter to do just that.

b) Valentine’s dinner with the hubs. We don’t get many of those date nights. I’m going to make sure we have one sometime this month!

Progress report:
 
·         My comment count went from 100-ish to 60 and I knocked 14 items off the revision list.

      ·         I went to my tap class last Wednesday. 

·         I set a “stretch” goal. In the name of research, I had wanted to re-teach myself Statistics, something I haven’t looked at since college which was, um . . . twenty-five some years ago. Well, I never did. This month I’m going to make strides to do so. 

For the week of February 9-15, I want to  

·         Get rid of twenty more comments in the doc

·         Fix three huge items on the revision list

·         Go to my tap class

·         Work on my stretch goal

·         Have dinner out with the husband

I hope you’ve had a productive week! If you’re updating, make sure to link your post on Sara’s blog. Have a great week! 

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on all the progress, Alison!!! :) And tap class sounds like a lot of fun! Enjoy your dinner out with your husband and cheering you on for all your goals! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a copy of ALLEGIANT that stares at me, too. At this rate, the movie will come out before I read it -_- I feel your pain. Enjoy that dinner out! (And thanks for the reminder--how I forgot Valentine's Day was this week, I dunno, but I would've been in trouble...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did awesome this week! I think we should start sending excerpts again because I miss your mean boys (and our regular catch-ups). Best of luck with all your goals this week -- rooting for you as always! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the progress this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Statistics...gah! I took Stats in college once or twice and did horribly at it. LOL I've always loved Math, but Stats so isn't my thing. More power to you revisiting that. ;-) I love that you've set going out for dinner with your hubby as a goal. That's wonderful! Good luck on your revisions this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. all very awesome goals! you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good ol' statistics :) Luckily for me I had a kind professor who understood that I understood the stupid stuff, I just had trouble with the application. Although it's been many years for me, too, and I don't remember too much about the class.

    Have a great week with revisions and math!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that dinner out with your husband is a goal :) Nice work last week! I also love that you're taking a tap class. Good luck this week. I'll see you on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, statistics. I remember doing a little bit in my math class junior year of high school, and as hard as I tried, I could never understand it. (I've found through subbing though that I'm still pretty all right at algebra. I'll take it!)

    Have fun with your dinner out with your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is GREAT! I always find your posts motivating! Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!