Wednesday, March 25, 2015

What's Up Wednesday (the series finale)



What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. J 

WHAT I’M READING: I am currently rereading I’LL GIVE YOU THE SUN (JANDY NELSON). I don’t often reread books, but I bullied persuaded my IRL book club to read it and, oh darn, I have to read it again. #twistmyarm Anyway, it’s even more amazing the second time around. I’m also reading THE ALEX CROW (Andrew Smith) which I hadn’t planned to read so soon, but after the whole stupid interview drama that went down with him a few weeks ago (please don’t get me started—I’m so Team Andrew), I had to pick it up at the library as soon as it was available. I’ve devoured and loved several other Andrew Smith works of art. This one is just as fabulous so far.  

WHAT I’M WRITING: My query. Which involves a lot of screen staring and me getting mad at myself. Heh. 

WHAT WORKS FOR ME: I sent out my story to readers about a week and a half ago and three of the seven have already finished. That in itself is compliment enough. And the support and feedback I’ve received so far on this story have been overwhelmingly positive, incredibly supportive, and just so, so encouraging. I have some big things to fix, but I just cannot even explain how much it means to have people so behind me and wanting to help me and just enjoying my story. I don’t know if the current WiP will ever go anywhere, but it’s just a great comfort and joy to know that something I created is something other people love to read.  

On top of that, one of my CPs sent me a text Saturday telling me she was up until 4:30 AM reading my story because she couldn’t put it down. Seriously the BEST COMPLIMENT EVER. One that will sustain me for MONTHS. 

So, yeah. Lucky, LUCKY writer here.

WHAT ELSE I’VE BEEN UP TO: Since I last posted? So much. Obviously I finished my revisions (for now). We celebrated my daughter’s 16th birthday, Pi Day, and the hubs and I went to a super fun murder mystery dinner last weekend to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. And of course there’s the 30th anniversary of The Breakfast Club. Soccer season kicked into high gear and since my daughter plays and my husband coaches, I’m watching tons of soccer and I LOVE IT. And next week is spring break so I’m excited just to hang out with the family.

That’s what’s up in my little world. What’s up on YOUR Wednesday?! 

 

12 comments:

  1. You're making me want to reread I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN -- I adore that book! I've not read any of Anderw Smith's books, but I've heard great things for years. I'll have to check my library to see if they stock anything by him. Yay for query writing! You know I'm cheering this book all the way to bookshelves everywhere. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy (sorry to interrupt, Alison!), an AS book I think you'd love is WINGER or STICK. STICK is darker than W but both are contemporary which is more up your alley. (He tends to write off-the-wall stuff so be wary!)

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear about the lovely feedback! It's awesome when you get that reaction to a story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for lovely feedback, Alison. That always boosts me up. :-) And yay for THE ALEX CROW. I haven't read that one yet but it is on my TBR. I have read everything by him and love his stuff, *especially* GRASSHOPPER JUNGLE. :-) I also love love loved I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN. Jandy Nelson writes beautifully. If you like her work, definitely check out Francesca Lia Block's DANGEROUS ANGELS (it's a short story collection) or SARAH MCCARRY's ALL OUR PRETTY SONGS. They both write equally beautifully. :-) I also have to laugh a little… I got Jandy's I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN in May at B.E.A (waited on a long line to meet her!!! aaahhh!!!) but did not read it until August. I was working on revisions and knew I'd compare myself (in a bad way…like "she is so talented/great/what am I doiiiing") so I waited. Totally worth the wait. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, queries! I hate them with a passion. Good luck with that.
    My library is sending me I'll Give You The Sun as we speak. I'm excited to read it since I've heard only great things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why are the query and synopsis harder to write than that whole dang book??? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read anything by Andrew Smith yet, but I'm so with you on the whole controversy. When I read his comment, I kept waiting to get to the offensive part, but as far as I'm concerned, there wasn't one. I really need to get around to reading I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN too.

    So glad to hear you're getting awesome feedback on your WIP! Good luck writing that query (blech) and with your revisions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the 30th anniversary of The Breakfast Club??? No, that can't be - how has it been 30 years???

    Anyway, yay for good CP feedback and good luck with your query!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always awesome to get great feedback like that. It really makes everything worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mystery dinners are so fun! Good for you! And happy birthday to your daughter. Queries are difficult. I usually just give in and write one that is totally out there for the fun of it. Or eating lots of chocolate. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like good things are happening! :) ... But WHY does writing a query letter have to be so hard? I always struggled with those suckers.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!