Monday, June 15, 2015

Ready. Set. WRITE! First Check In!




WOW! I am so excited about all of you who are doing Ready. Set. WRITE! this year and I hope you had a super productive week! In case you’re new to the RSW craze, Ready. Set. WRITE! is a summer long writing intensive through which we write/revise/plan like crazy, cheer each other on, and hold one another accountable with weekly updates. We’re sharing our goals on Mondays and keeping our posts brief so we can save our words for our WiPs! J Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to hop around to encourage other participants. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here!
Last week was our first goal-setting post and now it’s time for an update.
How I did on last week’s goal(s):  

1)       Write 5000 words on one or both of my stories. CHECK! I wrote over 3500 on one, a little over 1500 on the other. I know some (a lot) of those words may go in the future, but writing crap keeps me going (that sounded better in my head) and it did. I really, really can’t wait to tackle more on each WiP. 

2)       Read one book. CHECK! I finished my read of CEMETERY BOYS (Heather Brewer) and reread WE WERE LIARS (E. Lockhart) for my IRL book club. 

3)       Exercise five times this week. CHECK! I walked for 30-45 minutes five days this past week. In ninety degree weather. I should win a prize or something. J 

My goal(s) for this week 

This 5K a week thing seems to work for me (writing, not running) so I’m going to stick with my goals from last week: 5K on one or both of my stories, read one book, and exercise five times this week. 

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised: 

I have two stories I’m working on so I’m going to share what might be the first line from THE STORY FORMERLY KNOWN AS CHICK MAGNET:

The SWAT Team shows up before I have a chance to take a leak.

I know. A little crass. But I write from a guy’s POV and clearly I have no filter so… 

The biggest challenge I faced this week (ie finding time to write, getting sick, having writer’s block, etc) 

Time. Oh, definitely time. Last week was the last week of school so my daughter had exams and half-days, my son had award ceremonies, I volunteered at the high school a few days with exams, and then between graduation parties and taking the teenager to see AWOLNation and fifty thousand other things, my writing time was very limited. This next week should be a little…freer. #ihope 

Something I love about my WIP 

Since I shared a little from my boy story above, I’m going to share here what I love about my girl POV soccer story. It’s a story that I’ve kind of envisioned to be a Step Up with soccer. I don’t know how well I can execute that vision to fruition, but I do have a character named Tate Channing (yes, I’m lame) and I love that 1500 words in I already have some soccer, tension, and some not-so-crappy words. J

Also, I love the discovery part of drafting. What I thought was my soccer girl’s hamartia is turning out a little… different. I’m trying not to fight that and just see where it takes me. 

I hope you had a wonderful writing week too! I can’t wait to bounce around and see how you’re doing! So, yanno, don’t forget to sign up on the linky!






31 comments:

  1. Step Up with soccer? And a Channing Tatum-ish character? Sign me right on up <3 <3 Also that opening line is freaking killer! #teamcrass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey its okay to be crass, I find as I work surrounded mainly by males that they are crass as default setting, so that just makes your story authentic! You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You killed it on your goals. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love crass, and I love your first line! :) Good luck finding time to meet your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job on the goals this week, Alison! And it's a great idea to keep the same goals this week. No sense reinventing the wheel if it works, right? I hope this week is less busy, though the stuff you did sounds pretty fun! Well, minus the exams thing. ;-) Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job with your goals, Alison! And exercising in this heat we've been having? You definitely should win a prize!

    Happy writing this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on meeting your goals! Now that you know you can do it, it'll be easy to meet this goal every week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome job this week and I love the line you shared. Your soccer story sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the line from your WIP! It's perfect!
    Wow, I feel totally lame now that I got barely anything done when I was busy and then reading how much you got done PLUS all the stuff you had going on... way to go!
    Your new WIP reminds me of She's the Man- soccer and Channing Tatum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Time...why must it be so cruel? We are loving your soccer story idea, btw. It sounds like it's going to be amazing. Anything with a female lead who is engaging in sports and that involves a dude named Tate Channing? Sign us up :) Oh and your teen has GREAT taste in music- AWOLNATION is an amazing band!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your utter lack of filter is one of my favorite things about your writing. :-) You totally rocked your goals this week, and I'm so proud of you. Like you mentioned in the comment you left for me -- same time zones soon! That means lots of writing dates for us, I hope. Best of luck with your goals in the coming week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job with the goals! :) Just getting the words down keeps you moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for meeting goals even with a lot going on! I like the sound of both your WIPs, and the "discovery part of drafting" is a great way to put it--especially in character-driven novels :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had an awesome writing week! Way to go on meeting your goal! I love that potential first line for your WIP. I almost shot yogurt out of my nose because I laughed so hard when I read it. Think it's a keeper.Good luck with firing off another 5k this week, and I hope things are a little less busy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always manage to get through your goals! Hopefully I can learn from the master *bowing down*

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like your first line, I think a little crass is good! I'm very intrigued by your new soccer story, good luck with this week, I'm sure you will have no problem meeting your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You should definitely get a prize for working out in that heat! Your week was great! You got so much done, and on two projects!? Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that line you shared, though. I always enjoy snippets from your boy POV scenes. Also, you killed your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha - I love the line you shared. Definitely sounds like a guy's POV. :) I don't know if there is an award for walking five days in 90 degree heat but if not, I'll make you one because you deserve it, for sure! Way to rock those goals and good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that name! And great job on hitting your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love writing crap. That's the only way to propel me forward. Just vomit words and clean up the mess later. I'm gonna have to check out Cemetery Boys -- that sounds right up my alley. Way to hit your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  22. *sends many prizes* I dread even walking from my air-conditioned apartment to my air-conditioned car, so you definitely rock!

    Love the sound of your soccer story and your fna CHICK MAGNET line cracks me up.

    Have fun with writing crap this week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Alison, I have to hear more about your Step Up w/soccer. I am so, so intrigued. Good luck with your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You had a great week! The time factor is so tough, isn't it? Very impressed that you got so much done with all of that going on :) Best of luck for your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! I've seen this hop a few places now, and I love it and the positivity. Hmm. I told myself I would blog less this summer and write more, but a group that helps me write more? Hmm. Still thinking.
    Thanks for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hooray for hitting those goals, Alison. And yes, you definite deserve an award for the hot weather walks!

    Keep writing and enjoying these days with the kids (busy, but good stuff!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yay to hitting those goals despite the graduation and exams and everything (congrats on all of that!)

    ReplyDelete
  28. You're doing awesome! I love the line you shared. I always love the voice of your narrators. You know I'm such a huge fan of your writing, so if you need another reader when you're done.... I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!

    Good luck meeting this week's goals!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Step Up is my FAVOURITE and anything in that vein I am a sucker for! So this girl's football (sorry, I just CANNOT say soccer -- I fear being kicked out of my country, haha!) story has got me all kinds of excited. Go Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Crass or not, I think that's a great opening line. ;) Great job on your goals, especially the exercise. I agree, you do deserve a medal. The only kind of exercise I'd be out doing in that kind of heat is swimming.

    Good luck with your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yay for hitting all of your goals this week! So impressive. And yes, you definitely deserve an award for walking outside in that heat. I kept inside as much as possible! And I love that opening line.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!