Monday, June 22, 2015

Ready. Set. WRITE! Second Check In!




Welcome back to another Ready. Set. WRITE! check-in! I hope you had a super productive week! In case you’re new to the RSW craze, Ready. Set. WRITE! is a summer long writing intensive through which we write/revise/plan like crazy, cheer each other on, and hold one another accountable with weekly updates. We’re sharing our goals on Mondays and keeping our posts brief so we can save our words for our WiPs! J Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to hop around to encourage other participants. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here!
And now it’s update time. J
How I did on last week’s goal(s):  

1)       Write 5000 words on one or both of my stories. CHECK! I wrote 5,342 words total—about 40% on my CM rewrite; 60% on the soccer WiP. About 500 words on the rewrite were technically from an old draft, but I revised them so I’m counting them. J 

2)       Read one book. CHECK! I finished EXTRAORDINARY MEANS by Robyn Schneider and it was pretty extraordinary. Like, ranking up there with my favorite reads of the year extraordinary. You all should definitely check it out. 

Currently I’m reading Renee Ahdeih’s THE WRATH AND THE DAWN and it’s AMAZING. I don’t think I’ll have any trouble meeting my weekly reading goal. 

3)       Exercise five times this week. CHECK! I walked three days and Wii Fit-ted it three days.  

My goal(s) for this week 

1)       Write 5K total on one or both my stories.

2)       Read one book.

3)       Exercise at least five times this week. 

And thanks to the fabulous Jaime Morrow, I’m adding a STRETCH goal this week…

STRETCH GOAL: Clean up what I’ve done so far on both stories.
 

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised: 

Sharing a little excerpt from THE STORY FORMERLY KNOWN AS CHICK MAGNET. And I’m breaking rules here because it’s a little long and a lot rough, but I’m sharing anyway. J

She sounds like she doesn’t want to talk about it.
            So we talk about other things. We talk about an amusement park in Ohio where she held her first summer job. I learn that she loves horror movies. That Child’s Play is her favorite. It used to be Jaws, but, while she won’t explain why, that she will never watch that movie again. I learn her favorite course in college was Shakespeare on the Lawn, where pretty much all they did was read and analyze Shakespeare and then field trip somewhere—Raleigh, Greensboro, even as far as Virginia Beach—to watch it live.
            I learn she’s twenty-two.
            That stalls me for a minute. Hot Bar Reader Girl is twenty-two. Four years older than me. She’s probably graduated college, about to start a real, real job. Not some summer thing or some internship like I initially thought. She’s probably had boyfriends and sorority sisters and trips around the world.
            Twenty-two.
            I should probably end things here. Tell her I’m only eighteen and about to be a senior in high school. That I only have the beach house because it’s on loan from Dad.
But I don’t want to.
For the first time in weeks, I’m not the Pedophile’s Nephew. I'm not Dr. Marshall’s son. I’m not that kid with the arm. The kid going to Carolina. The kid who’ll lead Sound Side to their first State Championship.
            I kind of like the idea of being twenty-two for one night.
            In fact, walking here with her, discussing college and pasts and families and classes she’s taking and then, when she asks, fictional classes I’m taking, I’m feeling pretty twenty-two.

 I know. I am SO BAD. 

Also, you’ll probably have T Swift on the brain the rest of the day. J Not a bad thing, right? I also have “Shake it Off” on the soccer story playlist so I’m all about some T Swift these days.  

The biggest challenge I faced this week (ie finding time to write, getting sick, having writer’s block, etc)

Research. I’m in a stage with my soccer story where I need to research A LOT as I draft. Which isn’t a bad thing, but it can be time consuming, which I don’t always have a lot of.

Also, there are some questions/things I have to research for this story that are not exactly online. This might be the first story where I have to, like, actually email professionals and stuff and heh. #scared

Something I love about my WIP

Research. I know. I’m a walking oxymoron. Despite how time-consuming and sometimes frustrating research can be, I also love learning about new people, places, and things. The soccer WiP has a bit of a travel aspect to it. I’ve never written a story before that has required a passport and it’s been very fascinating and intriguing and definitely has my wanderlust amped to new levels.

I hope you had a wonderful writing week too! I can’t wait to bounce around and see how you’re doing! So, yanno, don’t forget to sign up on the linky!





28 comments:

  1. I love the excerpt! And I love the twenty-two references too. It actually helps the song make sense, lol! Good luck to you this week, you can hit it all, even that streeetch one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the excerpt, I'm glad it was more than just a line. :) And congratulations on meeting all your goals!

    Research is always weirdly fun, isn't it? Despite how it pulls you away from writing, there's just something deeply satisfying about learning more things. (And I think researching travel is significantly more fun than actually travelling, which always seems to involve running through airports or stations at some point...)

    Good luck with this week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That excerpt. I love it! His voice is strong and sucked me right in. Now I'm so curious about the setup surrounding the scene. I hope you post more soon! :)

    Good luck with your goals this week, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the goals this week! Research can be fun, though it's easy to get caught up in it and lose actual writing time. :P I've heard so many great things about THE WRATH AND THE DAWN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job on the goals this week! Sounds like you've got a great handle on everything you're working on. And I love the excerpt! Sounds like a fun, swoony story. (Plus, I'm in Wilmington, NC so NC-set stories always make me happy!) Good luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha @ feeling twenty-two! That really will be in my head the rest of the day. Thanks for that.

    Awesome job meeting your goals and good luck this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute excerpt :) Yay on meeting all of your goals! Sounds like a lot of research. And I believe you have mixed feelings, but you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work on meeting your goals last week! I have no doubt you'll nail it again this week. Also, as others have mentioned and as you mentioned, travel research is the bessssst! I enjoy regular old research, too, but like you feel nervous about talking to strangers/professionals. Hopefully it'll be a fun learning experience! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think research was the reason I decided to write fantasy and sci-fi, because I could make stuff up about my world and its rules. But really any genre has research involved, so I'm learning to love it! Good luck with all your research!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT I'M FEELING TWENTY-TWOOOOOOOO. Hehe, I felt a bit like 22 this past weekend in AC. Now that it's all caught up with me, I feel about 52, but whatevs.

    LOVED what you shared and I totally see what you were going for when mentioning the similarities in our WIPs LOL! #greatminds. Also, *solidarity fist bump* for the love/hate relationship you've got going on with research <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh a stretch goal. I like that! I enjoyed your excerpt, I also shared one this week too! I enjoyed yours a lot!
    Good luck with your research, I agree it is fun, but also time consuming! Have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. While I was reading your excerpt, I totally had TSwift in my head. :-) You killed it with your goals this week, Alison! Researching can be so, so daunting. At least it has been for me. Hope you're able to find the sources you need. Have a great week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. You kicked some serious butt on your goals this week! Nicely done! I love the excerpt you shared (no surprise). It sets up your character's dilemma really well. Good luck on your goals and with the ongoing research!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved the excerpt! And I was totally singing Taylor in my head as soon as I read that last line.
    I've only had to email a pro a couple of times before and I was super scared. One person got back to me and was really nice and helpful, and another person never did. So there you go. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Actually contacting a professional sounds intimidating. Happy I haven't had to do it yet, and dreading the day I do. I'm awkward at initial conversations. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will never be mad to have Taylor Swift stuck in my head. Also, I love the excerpt! It's got me intrigued about the rest of the story :)

    Good luck with your goals and research this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that excerpt! Also--you killed it on your goals this week. Nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your excerpt! And it is full of teasers that make me want to keep reading. Wah! I can relate to the research thing, too. A big chunk of my WiP is in a state I've never visited so I had to do a bunch of reading to (hopefully) get a good feel for it! Way to rock the goals last week and good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your excerpt so much I want to read the entire thing!! Congrats on killing your goals this week and good luck with next week's goals. I'd love to hear how you balance researching and drafting at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So, when do I get the revision in my inbox? And I'm dying to hear more about what angles you're going to change :) Just saying :) :) :) You did awesome with your goals, you are rocking it! Cheering you on, Alison <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was a really cool excerpt, Alison. A strong voice, a strong sense of the narrator knowing what was right but doing the opposite because of "reasons"... It read well.

    And research! I think we all have a bit of a love-hate relationship with that beast. I mean, it's so fun an cozy an seductive and lures us to just hang out with it, despite deadlines and and dinner and the closing of the library... but it also eats all our 'food' (mental energy), demands our time when we have to get things done yesterday. (hmm, wonder how far I can drag this 'look ma, the kitty wanted to come home with me' analogy).

    Eh! sorry, bad joke. My son was just playing the Sandra Boyton "Can I keep it" song.

    Keep up the awesome progress on your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoyed that excerpt and want to read more! Congrats on kicking some goal butt! I really want to read The Wrath and the Dawn, I'm currently on the waiting list at our library. I'll have to put Extraordinary Means on my list as well. Have a productive week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tried to comment yesterday but my work computer kicked me out. Not that I was blogging at work or anything....never. ;)
    Love the excerpt! And yes, I did have T Swift in my head all day!! Good luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great job on your goals! I really need to work being active in here somewhere. It's so important! And I love your excerpt! I think Tracey's right, our MCs would definitely get along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Research can be SO much fun. Quita's a history buff and LOVES to research when she's working on historical YAs so yeah, research is the BEST :) Also, your WIP excerpt? AWESOME! Thanks for sharing and good luck with all things writer-ly and otherwise this week.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your word count is inspiring! And THANKS for the TSwift :) I love having that song in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Research is one of my favorite parts of writing too, though it can also be frustrating to have the writing slowed down. Even when I'm writing about a subject I'm really familiar with, there are still new things to be learnt. Good luck with your goals for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Going to add Extraordinary Means to my TBR because you loved it but also because of the Loki-dog factor. :D

    I get the whole research being a double-edged sword. It can be so fun, but it can also become so daunting and endless! (But fun, haha.) Looking forward to seeing your next update.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!