Welcome back to another Ready. Set. WRITE! check-in! So sorry I missed checking in with you guys last week. The husband and I are celebrating twenty years of marriage (this Wednesday J) and so we took a little anniversary getaway to Saint Augustine last week. It’s a super cool place full of so much history: the Fountain of Youth, the Castillo de San Marcos Fort, Mission of Nombre de Dios,… yeah, I really wouldn’t know. We spent our three days there at the beach, touring a distillery, and barhopping. J
Anyway, I’m back and so glad you are too. J Before I update, I want to announce the winner of Elodie’s amazing writerly care package.
We want you keep the writerly groove going, so we have three more packages of awesome you could win in August. Thanks again for joining us!
And now it’s update time. J
How I did on my previous goal(s):
PLEASE NOTE that this is TWO weeks’ worth of work.
1) Write 5000 words total on one or both of my stories. CHECK! In the past two weeks I wrote 15,325 words. I know. I was shocked too. But don’t get too excited because a) it’s about 70% crap (30% possible diamonds though!) and b) I skipped ahead a bit to write a scene that hit me on the beach and then I couldn’t stop and c) it’s mostly crap.
Okay, it’s not all mostly crap. And the scene that hit me on the beach is one I am ridiculously proud of. And well, I’m mostly okay with crappy first drafts. Because then at least there’s something written to EDIT. J
2) Read one book. CHECK! I finished UNDER A PAINTED SKY (Stacey Lee) which was an exceptional historical fiction. I also read Amy Poehler’s autobiography YES PLEASE and it was as hilarious and awesome as she is. I also read FINDING AUDREY (Sophie Kinsella) and THE SUMMER I TURNED PRETTY (Jenny Han). I flew through both books and mostly enjoyed them. And then because I can’t get enough of Parks and Recreation stars’ books, I “treated myself” to Aziz Ansari’s MODERN ROMANCE. Okay, so the library treated me to it, but still. It’s Tom Haverford and I love him and his book and yeah. You should totally “treat yoself” to his book too.
3) Exercise at least five times this week. CHECK! I don’t know if I made it five times each week, but I did at least three and I walked a crap ton in Saint Augustine so…
STRETCH GOAL: Spend at least an hour a day, five days this week, on EACH story (CM rewrite and soccer WiP).
Um . . . doubtful. I spent hours on the soccer story. My CM rewrite, not so much.
My goal(s) for this week
1) Write 5K total on one or both my stories.
2) Read one book.
3) Exercise at least five times this week.
4) Do something fun with my kiddos
5) Work on and complete at least one project around the house
STRETCH GOAL: Work on the CM rewrite for at least TWO hours this week.
A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised:
This is from the soccer WiP. It’s between my MC Lexi and this guy Brasil who’s about to become a big factor in the story. Won’t say anymore, just enjoy my 70% crap/30%diamonds excerpt. J
“Lex Luthor!” Brasil takes my arm and leads me back behind one of the pickups. “Meus amigos and I were about to get a game going. Join us?”
Brasil’s amigos are two of the three guys he was playing soccer with earlier. They’re in the back of the truck, along with another very curvaceous girl in a tank dress, different than the one Brasil kicked the ball to earlier. Jeez.
“No thanks,” I say and walk away. No way I’m about to be this guy’s hat trick tonight.
The biggest challenge I faced this week (ie finding time to write, getting sick, having writer’s block, etc)
Prioritizing. My writing time generally has to occur in the mornings and when I can finally drag myself out of bed I usually have two maybe three hours before I start tutoring or the kids get up or the day just basically gets going and I’m taking the kids to the pool or something. But then I also want to get my exercise in before it gets too hot. And I want to eat. And shower. So, I either get up earlier or I either don’t write or I don’t exercise or . . .
I know. Rough life.
Something I love about my WIP
Tattoos. I love tattoos. I have four (and dying for another) and I am always fascinated by people who have them and why they have them. I’ve tried to work them into my story before, but tattoos never really, um . . . worked in one of my stories. Until this soccer one. One of my characters has a few (my MC describes him as having more tattoos than David Beckham - she might be a little hyperbolic in her description) and it’s just been fun to incorporate (so far) and I get to research people that actually have them. Like these lovely gentlemen…
USMNT and MLS star Jermaine Jones
and of course
I hope you had a wonderful writing week! I can’t wait to bounce around and see how you’re doing! Don’t forget to sign up on the linky!