Monday, July 27, 2015

Ready. Set. WRITE! The Portuguese Edition


 
Welcome back to another Ready. Set. WRITE! check-in! I hope you had a very productive week!
Here’s…
How I did on my previous goal(s):  

1)      Write 5K total on one or both my stories. CHECK! I added 6,944 words total to my stories.

2)      Read one book. CHECK! I finished the very hilarious MODERN ROMANCE (Aziz Ansari) as well as the enjoyable IT’S NOT SUMMER WITHOUT YOU (Jenny Han) 

3)      Exercise at least five times this week. CHECK! 

4)      Do something fun with my kiddos. CHECK! The kids and I had a game night and a movie night while my husband was at a coaching clinic in Greensboro, and last Saturday the husband and I took our son out on a boat and to Beer Belly Island. Yep. It’s really called that. And for good reason. J 

5)      Work on and complete at least one project around the house. CHECK! The sixteen year old and I cleaned her room, cleaned out old clothes and went through last year’s book bag. I can actually see her floor now.  

STRETCH GOAL: Work on the CM rewrite (the story formerly known as CHICK MAGNET) for at least TWO hours this week. CHECK! Well, it may not have been a full two hours, but I worked on it.

My goal(s) for this week 

No changes in the goals this week. #ifitaintbroke… 

1)      Write 5K total on one or both my stories.

2)      Read one book.

3)      Exercise at least five times this week.

4)      Do something fun with my kiddos

5)      Work on and complete at least one project around the house

STRETCH GOAL: Work on the CM rewrite for at least TWO hours this week.  

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised: 

From the CM rewrite. It’s from my favorite character, who you will probably both hate and love after this snippet, but I ADORE him. 

Susan Milton turns her attention to David, but before she can say anything, he ogles her tit-to-toe with an I want to lick you for breakfast look, and says, “Howdy, darlin’. I think English just became my new favorite class.”
 
And from the soccer WiP. Between my MC Lexi and her “friend” Brasil. Get ready for a super rough except with a big side of CHEESE. J (and I’m still working on my Portuguese. Bear with me) 

I call Brasil and explain what’s going on. He is, as always, ridiculously understanding.

            “It is okay, leenda," he says. "My ball and I, we will just sleep under the stars without you.”

            “I didn’t know I was sleeping over.”

            “Did I say sleep? I mean practice. My English. It still needs work . . .”

            I laugh. Player. “I think your brain needs work.”

            He gasps, teasingly. “Yes. I think you are right, leenda. My brain does need work. As well as other parts of meu cabeça.”

            His head. I’m so glad Spanish and Portuguese are so similar. “What other parts?”

            Meus olhos. They are in pain when they can’t see you.”

            I roll my own eyes at his cheesy reference to them.

            E minhas orelhas. They hurt when they can’t hear you.”

            I make a fake gagging noise into my phone. “Anything else?”

            “Sim. Meus lábios.” His voice has dropped to almost a whisper.

            “What is meus lábios?” I squeak out. I have a feeling I know. And my stomach instantly hollows.

            “My lips,” he replies. “They feel painfully empty when they cannot kiss you.”

 The biggest challenge I faced this week (ie finding time to write, getting sick, having writer’s block, etc)

Forks in the soccer WiP. Knowing the destination but having several ideas as to how my MC might get there.

As for my CM rewrite? One of the reasons I’ve been stalling and not doing so much with it is I have a lot of stuff I want to keep from the old script. Hard to figure out what should stay and what should go. 

Something I love about my WIP 

My soccer WiP is forcing me to learn Portuguese. And I LOVE it. Google Translate is my new best friend. That, and I downloaded a Portuguese dictionary and I get a word of the day and it’s just really cool. I know there are some things that won’t translate perfectly and I’ll need to rely on my native Brazilian and Portuguese friends to help me (I really hope I have some of those J) but for now, I’m learning new words and phrases and it’s fun. J
 

I hope you had a wonderful writing week! I can’t wait to bounce around and see how you’re doing! Don’t forget to sign up on the linky!





20 comments:

  1. Aah! I forgot how much I missed David! And hello -- "tit-to-toe" is so perfectly GUY. Can't wait to get my hands on this revision! Awesome job knocking out your goals as usual. You are so rocking this summer, and I'm inspired! Have a fantastic week, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay to all those words! And wow to checking off every single goal. Those language things can be so tricky. Good luck this next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you with the Portuguese! We learn so much as writers researching things, I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, your books sound like so much fun! I love your excerpts every week. *starts plotting how to get my hands on them when you're done* Congrats on rocking all of your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job again this week! I loved both of your excerpts, that lick you for breakfast line made me lol! :)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool that you're learning a language for your WiP! We love learning something while we write. Also, we WISH we could five days of exercising in one week...how do you do all the things? Good luck this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Look at how much you achieved last week! I'm so envious of what you did. And isn't Google Translate awesome? You can also download it on your phone. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every week I am more and more impressed with how much you accomplish. Those excerpts were both cute. I hope Susan Milton puts David in his place! Good luck with all your goals this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love both your excerpts. Especially how he calls her Leenda. (I assume her name is Linda). I don't know how you work on multiple stories at once. I have no talent for that.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, those excerpts are great. Sounds like you're making progress on both projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so fun to sprinkle a foreign language into our books, though I learnt the hard way not to overdo it. I actually wrote a blog post on this subject awhile ago, on how to use foreign language for flavor and what kinds of words/phrases tend to work best in another language: https://carrieannebrownian.wordpress.com/2013/02/15/using-foreign-language-for-flavor/.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa! Almost 7K words? That's awesome, Alison! Actually, you kicked butt on all of your goals this week. Hope this is another productive week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you've been putting that Portuguese to good use, and that "I want to lick you for breakfast look" got a pretty big snicker out of me! You had another crazy productive week, and I'm so impressed! Also, I really want to go to Beer Belly Island because it sounds like a fun place to be. Have a fantastic week and keep crushing those goals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beer Belly Island is pretty much the greatest name ever :)

    I wish I was still an ESL tutor, one of my tutees (that is seriously the oddest word) was from Brazil. She would have loved to help out.

    Hope you have a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for knocking out all your goals last week! Loved your excerpts--both were full of great voice. How fun to be learning a new language for your WIP :). Hope you're just as productive this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woohoo! You kicked butt this week :) LOVE the excerpts - I want more of Brasil especially - he sounds incredibly sweet and also full of the best kind of mischief. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I love your cheese, b/c I loved that excerpt! =) Congrats and killing your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are KILLING it on your goals this week! Well done. I love your excerpt, rough or not! I like how you described the problem you faced in your soccer MS. Forks. Multiple potential paths. I feel that in writing and in life sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's amazing what we take on and learn when writing! Way to go with Portuguese :)

    Here's my belated RSW post

    ReplyDelete
  20. I once worked with a guy who was a David type, with just that way of looking at me. As I type. he's asleep beside me, with our eighteenth anniversary on its way....

    Love the excerpts, and the progress, and the passion! =D

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!